Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out to Moab in a few weeks for the Jeep Safari. Plan on getting a few days of riding in while I'm there. Last time I went, '07, I stopped in one of the bike shops to top off my tires and grab a map. I was riding some super light weight racing tires at the time and the shop guy told me I'd be lucky if they survived the terrain. Will I be in the same boat with the Husker Du's.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I will be heading to Moab on Wednesday and am running Husker Du up front with a Snowshoe on the back. I have had excellent traction in all conditions so far and they hold up great to the Sedona rocks which are similar to Moab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
as a brand new pugs owner and resident of moab, I'm looking at all the sandy washes-sand dunes and formerly unrideable trails (unless after a rain or frozen in winter) with new eyes--the slick rock is ubiquitous and a part of many rides but i just rode a sandy wash yesterday that i have only hiked and i found myself finding lines on the edges away from footprints--looking ahead for detours around overhanging cedars--transitions from sand to rock and back--in other words a whole new perspective on riding off road and a lot of it is soft or gravely which will, like snow, be easy on the expensive rubber that will be a fact of life for us fat bike pilots--if you ride sideways across the slickrock instead of with the grade at low pressure probably would do more scraping but what do i know... its like '87 on my new mongoose pro mountain bike learning all over again--welcome to mecca--

·
Registered
400 Posts
as a brand new pugs owner and resident of moab, I'm looking at all the sandy washes-sand dunes and formerly unrideable trails (unless after a rain or frozen in winter) with new eyes--the slick rock is ubiquitous and a part of many rides but i just rode a sandy wash yesterday that i have only hiked and i found myself finding lines on the edges away from footprints--looking ahead for detours around overhanging cedars--transitions from sand to rock and back--in other words a whole new perspective on riding off road and a lot of it is soft or gravely which will, like snow, be easy on the expensive rubber that will be a fact of life for us fat bike pilots--if you ride sideways across the slickrock instead of with the grade at low pressure probably would do more scraping but what do i know... its like '87 on my new mongoose pro mountain bike learning all over again--welcome to mecca--
How are trail conditions right now in Moab? I'm heading down in a few weeks.

·
Clueless Bastard
684 Posts
I was there 3 days ago. The trails I rode were nice. Tiny bit of snow/mud on the fire road @ the start of Porc Rim, but HyMasa, Captain Ahab, Pipeline, and everything over @ the Gemini Bridges area was really nice. One day was super windy (with a bit of a dust storm and everything) at day's end, but Moab is so nice in March!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I rode a pair of Innova spider-tread tires out there last spring- they were really good on slickrock at 6.5PSI, plus they were cheap for fat tires and thus somewhat sacrifice-able. They worked so well I have set them aside and put them on every time I go to Moab. The rest of the time I use Floaters for dirt and Nate/Bud for snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
warming up--light rain 3 days ago--probably could ride snow in the la sals even --sandy washes--slickrock, rocky ledges and sand filled jeep trails--gravel roads--developed trails..a paved bike path from town to past the end of gemini bridges and along the colorado for 3 mi a heads up-- the week preceding easter is jeep week and lots of competition for the most well known trails but its not hard to access areas unused by the 4x4 jeep rock crawler crowd--also several good shuttles so you can spot your car at trails end and start at the trailhead and not have another car to retrieve...it might be fun to start mapping passable washes for fat bikes as trail guides steer riders away from sand traps and "unrideable" sections--oh i almost forgot-- sand dunes near where the 24 hr of moab races were held.. will have to check bike access--so briefly there are scores of choices on trails that hold up much better due to the ecology and geology--

1 - 13 of 13 Posts