Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a Yeti SB115 Special Edition this past April and absolutlely love it. It is the fastest accelerating, best climbing bike I have ever owned. It accelerates like no other bike. And it is a keeper for sure. However the other day me and my friend, who owns a Ripley V4, traded bikes for a ride and I liked his Ripley a lot as well. His is setup with a 140mm DVO fork and a his shock was a DVO with a piggyback on it. Not sure what the shock was. Anyways the trail we rode has a lot of jumps and features on it. I noticed that the Ripley wanted to pop off of everything. Even more so than my SB115. So what I found is the strengths of each were:

SB115 - Fast, Quick, climbs like no other and fastest turning and responsive bike ever

Ripley - wanted to pop off everything, very confidence inspiring off of jumps and downhill much faster. My Yeti is very fast downhill but the confidence the Ripley gave me made me go faster downhill.

Believe it or not even though these bikes are put in the same category they rode extremely different. So much so that I am thinking of adding the Ripley. I live in Michigan and adding a SB130 or Ripmo seems like more bike than I would ever need. I am thinking of building the Ripley with a Fox 36 140mm fork and a Fox Float X piggyback shock. Has anyone here built up their Ripley that way and if so how do you like it?

Thanks,

Chuck

· Registered
258 Posts
The SB115 is a fine bike, but it’s geometry is compromised compared to the Ripley since it’s based on the SB100. This Yeti rider would pick the Ripley if I was choosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The SB115 is a fine bike, but it's geometry is compromised compared to the Ripley since it's based on the SB100. This Yeti rider would pick the Ripley if I was choosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would disagree and say it's terrain dependent and what you want out of a bike. My SB115 is faster than the Ripley on flats and uphill no question. However on downhills the Ripley for me was faster because it was like having training wheels on a bike. It gave me that much confidence. However a more skilled rider could probably push my Yeti to speeds I can't achieve because of fear. They are both awesome bikes. I owned a Ripley V1 and then V2 since 2014 and sold it this spring to get the Yeti and I am not disappointed. However owning both bikes would be the ultimate for me. I have certain trails I would be a lot happier on my Yeti and other trails I'd be happier on a Ripley. So I think I am just gonna pull the trigger and have both.

Then again I don't get caught up in geo numbers and all the other stuff. I just ride the bikes and make my decision from that.

· Registered
2,694 Posts
The Ripley you rode sounds like it's set up very similar to mine.

My Ripley V4 is set up a with DVO Sapphire D1 fork at 140mm and a DVO Topaz T3 shock.

The DVO stuff aids in the bike feeling so secure on the descents and speed. The stock Fox Factory stuff on my Ripley was harsh and did not like it when speeds picked up.

The Ripley's geometry clearly also helps with its descending prowess. Longer and slacker feels nice at speed.

The SB115 is an XC racers "down country" bike, the Ripley is more for someone that wants to rip up a climb and rip right back down.

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Ripley you rode sounds like it's set up very similar to mine.

My Ripley V4 is set up a with DVO Sapphire D1 fork at 140mm and a DVO Topaz T3 shock.

The DVO stuff aids in the bike feeling so secure on the descents and speed. The stock Fox Factory stuff on my Ripley was harsh and did not like it when speeds picked up.

The Ripley's geometry clearly also helps with its descending prowess. Longer and slacker feels nice at speed.

The SB115 is an XC racers "down country" bike, the Ripley is more for someone that wants to rip up a climb and rip right back down.
Thanks for that info about the DVO gives me something to think about. I agree with how you defined the SB115 and Ripley. That's why I think it would be cool to own both. Different enough. I thought of the SB130 but it seems to long of a wheelbase and it's heavy.

· Registered
212 Posts
Input from a Ripley rider with Fox Performance suspension ... the geometry of the Ripley sometimes makes me feel like I can do things that the bike should not be doing. When speeds pick up on rough terrain, the bike gets overwhelmed. Maybe its just the suspension...
Anyway, I love the Ripley for trail / XC riding. It is quick handling, yet inspires confidence at reasonable speeds. I run lighter trail tires, so it's quick. And the POP ... this thing does want to leap into the air off the smallest hits. It was my first Ibis and I was so impressed with the feel that I bought a Mojo HD5 (DVO Onyx/Topaz, which feel awesome) for enduro terrain / park days.
While the 115 and the Ripley are certainly different bikes that happen to have similar travel numbers, I would say they're still too close to have both unless money is no object. If you're racing XC on your 115, keep it. If not, and you want one do-it-all bike, go Ripley. If you want to keep the 115, then get a Ripmo and do a light build. Then, you'll have a bike for everything with little overlap.

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Input from a Ripley rider with Fox Performance suspension ... the geometry of the Ripley sometimes makes me feel like I can do things that the bike should not be doing. When speeds pick up on rough terrain, the bike gets overwhelmed. Maybe its just the suspension...
Anyway, I love the Ripley for trail / XC riding. It is quick handling, yet inspires confidence at reasonable speeds. I run lighter trail tires, so it's quick. And the POP ... this thing does want to leap into the air off the smallest hits. It was my first Ibis and I was so impressed with the feel that I bought a Mojo HD5 (DVO Onyx/Topaz, which feel awesome) for enduro terrain / park days.
While the 115 and the Ripley are certainly different bikes that happen to have similar travel numbers, I would say they're still too close to have both unless money is no object. If you're racing XC on your 115, keep it. If not, and you want one do-it-all bike, go Ripley. If you want to keep the 115, then get a Ripmo and do a light build. Then, you'll have a bike for everything with little overlap.
If I lived outwest I'd for sure be looking at the Ripmo or SB130 but I don't. Also I'm 53 so I am not hitting crazy stuff like a lot of the guys on here. I am honest with myself and I am not taking any drops larger than 4-5 feet and that is even a stretch. I am probably going to install a 140mm air shaft in my Yeti fork and see if that makes enough of an adjustment to get my Yeti to where it gives me a tad more confidence on the downhill and jumps. But really it comes down to me wanting both these bikes. I don't need anything more capable than the Ripley it would be more than I need and don't want to give up the uphill climbing ability of the Ripley.

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why get a bike with that much overlap in purpose and capability?
And if you do, you know what the Ripley is like with the DVO's. Why not go that route?
Doesn't seem well thought out to me.
Because I like gear. And you can always sell a bike later and take a loss. At least you were able to use it and have fun with it. No one is going hungry in my family because I buy another bike.

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Again, you know you love the Ripley with DVO's. Why not go that route?
That is on the table for sure.I have already looked at the DVO stuff and looks solid. The fox stuff has tuneability I really like. I looked at the Revel and I am on the high end of a small and low end of the medium don't like sizing when I am on the extremes. I fall in the middle of a medium for Ibis and Yeti. What MSU? I went to Michigan State.

· Registered
2,694 Posts
That is on the table for sure.I have already looked at the DVO stuff and looks solid. The fox stuff has tuneability I really like. I looked at the Revel and I am on the high end of a small and low end of the medium don't like sizing when I am on the extremes. I fall in the middle of a medium for Ibis and Yeti. What MSU? I went to Michigan State.
I'm usually right on the edge between medium and large bikes. I prefer falling on the line as I have a choice of how I want the bike to handle for me. Better stability and more room, get the large. Flickable and maneuverable, get the medium.

I will say, I think I've permanently gone to the larger size at this point. I just really like the stability and having room to move in the bike.

From what you've described that you liked about the Ripley, the medium Rascal should be right up your alley especially since their geometry is not overly aggressive.

· Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again, you know you love the Ripley with DVO's. Why not go that route?
I'm usually right on the edge between medium and large bikes. I prefer falling on the line as I have a choice of how I want the bike to handle for me. Better stability and more room, get the large. Flickable and maneuverable, get the medium.

I will say, I think I've permanently gone to the larger size at this point. I just really like the stability and having room to move in the bike.

From what you've described that you liked about the Ripley, the medium Rascal should be right up your alley especially since their geometry is not overly aggressive.
Have you ridden the Rascal? I need to do some more research. I thought about getting the SB130 but the weight and climbing penalty is keeping me from getting it. I really love the Switch Infinity suspension platform.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts