Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IT's over in Yonkers, NY. I tried this place last Friday and nothing i have rode yet in NJ prepared me for this. I was a little bummed that even the intermediate trail required a lot of walking, thinking i was an intermediate. They have a beginner trail there i didn't ride yet, i'm hoping it isn't a paved rode or something because then my options aren't great (too advanced or flat nothing). this is the closest place to my work, so i will be frequenting it, starting tomorrow, weather permitting.

i can see why some people feel it's a freeride course: http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-s...ew-york/trail/PRD_169378_4566crx.aspx#reviews
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
keep riding it, you'll improve your stamina and skills every time you go out. try and find some local riders that will show you around.

there are some "freeride-like" stunts and some rock walls that you can jump. these range from 6" "drops" to 6 footers. the small ones are great for getting your first taste of "air".

personally i think that sprain and blue mountain are fantastic places to ride. get some time in and I am sure you'll agree one day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
idbrian said:
IT's over in Yonkers, NY. I tried this place last Friday and nothing i have rode yet in NJ prepared me for this. I was a little bummed that even the intermediate trail required a lot of walking, thinking i was an intermediate. They have a beginner trail there i didn't ride yet, i'm hoping it isn't a paved rode or something because then my options aren't great (too advanced or flat nothing). this is the closest place to my work, so i will be frequenting it, starting tomorrow, weather permitting.

i can see why some people feel it's a freeride course: http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-s...ew-york/trail/PRD_169378_4566crx.aspx#reviews
??? I did not think it was that bad.....try Ninam....that is a "big" bike ride.....try blue mountian as well.....some mad fun trails there.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
MUSTCLIME said:
??? I did not think it was that bad.....try Ninam....that is a "big" bike ride.....try blue mountian as well.....some mad fun trails there.:D
imo, ninham and blue mountain are both harder than sprain ridge. none are easy, all require significant climbs, but sprain was a half click less technical than nin and blue. in fact, some trails at blue are full on freeride, requiring a huck, or a downclimb/walk-around with bike in hand.

brian aka fattireb is the man that knows these trails the best around here. the riding here is superb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
off of the main lot on the sprain slick rock trail there is a switch back carved into what was nearly a cliff and at the top of that there is a 5 foot boulder that you have to ride over, i was alright until i saw that and was thinking fcuk that, i'm no where near that level yet. what is good is that this is probably a good place to learn, what is bad is that i don't think my entry level hardtail is the correct weapon for the job and an upgrade will soon be needed. i am planning on getting a XC full suspension (around $1500), i hope that would be able to handle that place.
 

·
danger! danger!
Joined
·
242 Posts
Small, tight, rocky. I only ride there occasionally. Start by the pool, go to the lower right corner of the lot, first explore the trails on the left, and after completing that loop, return to the trailhead and hit the trails on the right. The long switchback trail I feel is the highlight of the park. I've never found the majority of the log rides FTB 'created'; maybe this is for the best :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
It's a great small park

This an intermediate level park in my opinion. As stated above park in the lot by the pool. Then find the trail head that goes up. It would be in the northwest corner. Complete the loop at the southeast coner of the parking lot. An easier trail is at the first lot above the pool. The trail head is just above an embedded boulder on the south side. I learned to ride there on a hard tail. A squishy is not necessary in that park. Keep riding, it took me about 2 years to ride the lower trail without dabbing.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
graham hills

Head north a few more minutes and try graham hills park in pleasantville. It's similar to sprain, but maybe not quite as difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you people would call Sprain Ridge a XC ride for a XC bike, or is an all-mountain more appropriate.
 

·
Recovering
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
idbrian said:
So you people would call Sprain Ridge a XC ride for a XC bike, or is an all-mountain more appropriate.
I ride Sprain all the time, and rode it for years on hardtail XC bikes (still do, now and then). It's technical in the way that all XC in Westchester is technical. You can freeride there if you want to (I ride it on my 8" travel bike, too), and also have a blast, but the basic trails are pretty standard XC for these parts. Yes, there are technical spots that you may want to walk, and there are still spots I don't clean every time, but that's what makes it great. WMBA and NYCMTB group rides will see guys riding the trails together on everything from hardtail race bikes to full-on DH bikes, and everyone has a blast. Kinda nice to have trails like that where everyone can have fun.

The easier trails are on the Western side of the park. From the entrance, if you went straight up the road instead of swinging left in front of the pool, you'd find the trailhead in the first parking lot (although that first parking lot also seems to be a storage place for unused Westchester County busses). The beginner trails aren't bad, just not as technical. We'll often finish up rides blasting through there after the technical assault on the East side of the park...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
mergs said:
imo, ninham and blue mountain are both harder than sprain ridge. none are easy, all require significant climbs, but sprain was a half click less technical than nin and blue. in fact, some trails at blue are full on freeride, requiring a huck, or a downclimb/walk-around with bike in hand.

brian aka fattireb is the man that knows these trails the best around here. the riding here is superb.
If you think blue is a freeride place.......:nono: .....please do not use that term so loosely.....freeride is way, way more nuts than any thing in blue....take a run out to deablo or up to plattakill to see real free ride. A rock field does not = freeride......sorry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i didn't watch other people ride so maybe i'm beating myself up a little too much. i was able to ride most of it, there were just a few spots that i couldn't conceive riding, at least not for a year or two. maybe regulars don't ride those parts either, i don't know. regardless it is going to be fun place to ride. i was going to go there this evening but work was canceled due to no power in spots in queens. now heading out into nj. thanks for the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
rode there last night

I rode the beginners section last night. There are about 7 downed trees across the trail. Some of the trees are very hard to by pass. We met a parkee at the lot who said they would be in there on Sat 10am with chain saws to cut away some stuff. He was asking for volunteers to help remove the brush. Maybe President Bush is available;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so their beginner trails aren't that bad then? i was afraid it went from that slick rock section i found difficult to just a flat walking path for beginners.
 

·
Dab Master
Joined
·
456 Posts
sprain

hey guys - i ride sprain 2-3 times a week. idbri - sprain is a great park to "get your tech on" - don't give up and just keep at it and it will come to you. you'll be amazed at the lines we take. FYI - there is a great beginner/intermediate group that rides out of WMBA.org and are all progressing real fast and i know a lot of them ride sprain during the week. post up on the forum:thumbsup: .

MERGS - how ya been? I don't get this site at work anymore so i'm hardly on. speaking of sprain - lets hook up a ride - i've got ALL kinds of fun stuff to show you - either sprain OR blue:D

fatty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
For some nice singletrack (not very technical) trails at Sprain, head right to the bottom end of the park (check the maps on WMBA.org) - the trails down there are not as rocky and technical as those that go down the east side. They are easily done on a hardtail although navigating can be tricky (well it was last time I was there and we did a few loops by accident...:madman: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
MUSTCLIME said:
If you think blue is a freeride place.......:nono: .....please do not use that term so loosely.....freeride is way, way more nuts than any thing in blue....take a run out to deablo or up to plattakill to see real free ride. A rock field does not = freeride......sorry
Would you consider 4+ foot mandatory airs, and steep, technical rollers, freeride? How about ladders and bridges?
 

·
Recovering
Joined
·
1,483 Posts
MUSTCLIME said:
If you think blue is a freeride place.......:nono: .....please do not use that term so loosely.....freeride is way, way more nuts than any thing in blue....take a run out to deablo or up to plattakill to see real free ride. A rock field does not = freeride......sorry
I ride at Diablo about once a month. I assure you that there's plenty of freeriding in Blue, if you know where to find it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
jbogner said:
I ride at Diablo about once a month. I assure you that there's plenty of freeriding in Blue, if you know where to find it...
yep, I agree Jamie. I didnt want to get into a debate on the "freeride term", and certainly not point people directly to the goods, but I can think of 2 trails there where a long travel bike comes in real handy.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top