Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a Fezzari, but don't see them under manufactures thread, anybody out there riding them? Any feed back? Looking at the Wiki or Abajo, good/bad? Just trying to get any info on the bikes and/or company.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There's a reason you don't see them in the manufacturer's thread...these were one time sold at Costco 'cause that's where a friend of mine got his, now they are apparently just being sold on-line. Mainly low end components and are a little heavy.

The suspension on the Abajo Peak or Wiki Peak is the 'faux' 4-bar, with the rear pivot on the seatstay (vs. being on the chainstay like the Specialized FSR/Horst patent), and this linkage/pivot placement isn't the best as far as countering pedal bob.

For the price of the Abajo Peak ($1099), you'd be much, much better off buying the Ironhorse MKIII Trail from RSCycles. Same $1099, but longer travel suspension, a proven rear suspension linkage design, better fork and shock and components, and hydraulic disk brakes (vs. mechanical cable on the Fezzari):
http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-MKIII-Trail-All-Mountain?sc=11&category=108

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Randall Scott Company is using this Forum to sell their bikes...that is SPAM which is generally considered inappropriate on the MTBR forums. They made no effort to answer your question about Fezzari bikes, just want you to call them so they can sell you a Iron Horse or K2 (which are not bad bikes on their own).

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Still smells like SPAM to me...BikeDirect gets hit with SPAM accusations for far less. And IBEX got so out of control that they had to stop posting

Its no reflection on the quality of the bikes you sell, but its still a blatant attempt to sell your product and you should refrain from that on these forums

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just a question to you. If you were thinking of purchasing a TV and another customer recommended a SONY on a chat board to you. Then Sony chimed in and said if you have any questions or need assistance please contact us directly to help you. You would not appreciate that? Most comnpanies don't do this because it would be too time consuming and expensive. You would rather a company not be active in the chat room? We are the only ones that sell IH bikes, have the most knowledge of them and when they are mentioned we assist. We didn't start the chat or start mention our bikes. We are just trying to be active and assist. We also wont be going back and forth with you on this as it is a waste of everyones time. We agree to disagree.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually I would prefer that vendors stay out of the situation entirely as it represents a very possible conflict of interest. End of story.

However, if vendors are part of the forum, then I would appreciate straightforward answers to directly asked questions, without any additional word on pricing, how to purchase, etc. Furthermore, any questions should be answered within the context of the forum and not over the phone such that they benefit everyone.

This is general policy at most forums, especially any forum with paid advertisements such as this one.

On the original subject, the Fezzari factory store is right down the street from my office. I'll have to stop by and take a look when I'm back in town next week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have ridden Fezzari bikes for the last 3 years, I work just a few miles away from their factory store. I currently ride a heavily modified Nebo peak, and my brother who lives close to me rides a stock older style Alta peak. I also rode an older style Abajo peak for about 2 years. My brother loves his Alta peak, and has had zero issues with it. I have a coworker who purchased a road bike around the same time I bought my Abajo peak, and he also really likes it (I see it in his office several times each week).

I absolutely love my Nebo, I also loved the Abajo peak but the Nebo is hands down a nicer bike (it also costs quite a bit more though). I have had some problems with breaking parts however all of the problems I have had are due to my extreem size and higher then average strength as I seem to break just about every thing I touch (I don't just break bike parts, I have destroyed more office chairs then I can count (Not the cheap ones but $800 body built chairs, I have broken 4 car seat frames, several couch frames including the one I am sitting on now, and I have a bad habit of snapping bolts, and hardened steal easy outs which are impossible to drill out while working on my jeep ). My wife has nicknamed me "destructo boy".

I am a very big guy currently 6'5" about 245 - 250 lbs I am a little stronger than the average person due to the fact I completed 8+ years in power lifting, strongmen competitions and Olympic style weightlifting (I use to compete at 345lbs, so I am a lot lighter then I was when I competed). When I purchased my original Alta peak 3 years ago I weighted about 295 lbs, and over the course of 2 years I proceeded to break or wear out just about every thing on it. I went through 2 sets of forks (broke a pair of manitou axels, and the warranty replacement rockshox j3's). I bent a couple of derailleur hangers. I broke lots of rear spokes and ruined stock rear rim. I have broken 3 shimano xt freehubs this year alone, and I have cracked the seat tubes on 2 Fezzari frames I cracked the seat tube on my Abajo peak this spring after 2 years of riding, and last week I noticed a crack in the seat tube on my Nebo peak after 5 months of pretty heavy riding (5 days per week rain or shine averaging about 40 - 70 miles of all mountain riding). I live in utah so I ride in the canyons along the Wasatch front (tibble fork, and castcade springs loop mostly )and Moab area trails (slick rock, amaza bak, porcupine rim, hazard county etc).

Fezzari has without a question taken taking care of me every time I contacted them about something I have broken (they all know me by name now), the first set of forks they replaced under warranty the second pair I did not bother contacting them about, I purchased a pair of Marzocchi all mountain SL forks because I was positive I would break any XC rated fork made. I am still riding that fork today and have had zero issues with it, but it rated for all mountain and light free ride, so it is pretty beefy. I also did not bother them about the spokes or rear wheel I broke, as I was convinced I would destroy any xc rated wheel, and upgraded to a set of mavic ex823 rims with 36 straight gauge spokes, and xt hubs. This is the hub I keep blowing the pawls and I did not buy it from Fezzari (if I climb a steep hill out of the saddle and crank to hard they make a sound kind of like a gun shot when the pawls go crunchy). If you are looking for a set of indestructible rims I recommend the ex823's as they are nuke proof with the 36 spokes (The xt hub on the other hand is not up to my weight and leg strength so I am saving my money for a criss king or hadley rear hub as I think I will just keep blowing any thing of lesser strength).

The first time I broke my frame they offered to replace it or give me credit to upgrade to the Nebo peak frame. I walked out of their retail store that day with the Nebo peak frame.

I went in last week with the cracked Nebo peak and the told me they would take care of me. My bike is still down at their shop, but only because they did not have a frame my size in stock and have a newer style Nebo peak frame which their engineer is running some cad simulations on to see if the seat tube will be stronger then the older style. The new frame it's pretty nice looking most of the tubes are hydroformed and the top tube and down tube definitely look stronger however the seat tube is the same diameter tubing 34.9mm outside diameter 31.6 mm inside diameter which is about as big as you can get and still take a standard size seat post and derailleur clamp. I told them to take their time as winter finally arrived and we have a foot of fresh snow and it is freezing out side.

My brother has had no problems with breaking any thing, and my coworker friend has not broken any thing either however he only weights 150 lbs, and My brother despite us both having 33 - 34 " I am about 5" taller and 75 lbs heaver then him. We rode together about 2 - 3 x each week, starting in the late spring and rode with me on the trails down in moab so we were riding the same terrain and similar speeds. So I am convinced my problems are due to my extreme size unusual leg strength, and the fact I have to run a very long seat post, because of my long inseam (I run a 400 mm post close to the max extension line when climbing). My brother also rides with a little more finesse where I tend to muscle my way over stuff.

Despite my trail of broken parts I would not hesitate to recommend their bikes, they ride incredible, and if something does go wrong they stand 100% behind their products!

I have offered to test all their new proto types since I have a bad habit of finding the weakness in any thing kind of like the gorilla in the old Samsonite luggage commercials, if it can be broken I will find the way to do it.

My goals for this next year are to drop another 15 - 20 lbs which is about all I think I can really loose, and work on smoothing out my riding style, although that has been a double edge sword as the smoother I get the faster I ride over all and I am guessing the faster you ride the more stress that is put on parts. I also recently purchased a remote seat post so I am hoping the ability to lower my seatpost at will will result in me having my seat lower over all and put less stress on the seat tube, but who knows I may have to get a full on down hill bike for all mountain riding just so I stop breaking stuff!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Whitedog said:
There's a reason you don't see them in the manufacturer's thread...these were one time sold at Costco 'cause that's where a friend of mine got his, now they are apparently just being sold on-line. Mainly low end components and are a little heavy.
Yes and no...their low end bikes were available through Costco, not their higher end...kinda' like you can go to a bike shop and find a well equipped Mongoose then go to WalMart and find a Mongoose, too...just don't try and compare the two simply because they are from the same company.

I ride a Nebo Peak and haven't had any complaint worth noting. As for their listed MSRP being high, they really aren't and in many cases are right on the money when compared to a comparably equipped Trek or otehr known name sold in a bike shop.

Can't give actual numbers to discredit the weight issue, but I do know my Nebo is the lightest bike i have owned. As far as low end components, dollar for dollar, they aren't that low end (depending on the model you choose, of course).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info, been looking at different on-line brands and just have not seen much info in Fezzari, looks like they are fairly new company so that probably is why, just don't want to pass them up because they are new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.