Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm transferring to Auburn University in August was wondering if anyone rode or knew of places to ride around Auburn besides the trail in Wetumpka and Oak Mountain?
 

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
The only thing in Auburn that I know of is Chewacla State Park. There are some trails there, not too many miles but the trails aren't too bad. They had the NORBA state championships there a few years ago I believe. Then there is some stuff in the Tuskeegee National Forest like 30 minutes away, never been there though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I go to AU and live in Auburn. I have ridden out in the Tuskegee National Forest three times this week already. It is NOT 30 minutes away. It is about 10 miles either down Wire Road or College Street(HWY 29) depending on which way you want to go. I can get there in 15 minutes easy. Look here for some info: AL Trails Info (T)
Be sure to check out the other trails on there too.

I am just getting back into the sport and trying to get used to my new Trek so I have been taking it relatively easy out there. The trails are great. I haven't been to Chewacla in over a year. The last time I was there the trail was a little more technical in spots that Tuskegee. If you need someone to show you around Tuskegee Natl. Forest let me know.

Aujwe at charter.net

Joey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm new to mountain biking in general.. I just purchased a Specialized Hardrock Comp in like April when I went to the SOS orientation (at Kinnucans). Come fall semester I'm gonna try and hit the trail up around 3 times a week during the afternoons. I think I can scope it out on my own but if you ever need anyone to ride with or some such hit me up on the forums. Do you know anyone else riding around Auburn? How busy is the trail? The one I ride down here I honestly think I'm the only person riding it.. it's getting so grown up haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Sounds like you've got a nice bike. I bought a Trek Fuel 90 w/ disc the weekend before last. And of course all the trapings that come with jumping into a new hobby.

The trail isn't very busy at all right now. I have been the only person on it this week. It will definitely be busier in the Fall but mainly on Saturday mornings. Go by the ranger station and pick up a few of the free maps, they are just on a piece of paper. They will be good enough to get you around the area. There is a good trail in Wetumpka to ride also. I ride with a few friends every now and then but mainly ride by myself. Check that link I posted earlier and read the review of the trail; read what I said about riding during deer hunting season.

This is the local cycling club: EACC You shouldn't have any problem finding some folks to ride with on there. I think they are mainly road bikers but there are some mountain bike folks on there. They occasionally have some work days on the trails in Tuskegee. I haven't caught one yet but I plan to this fall. The trail is grown up now in spots but will be better when it cools off and things start dying back. The Natl. Forest also has designated workdays. I think they are over for the Summer though.

Where are you riding at right now?

Joey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'm riding the Wetumpka trail tomorrow... my sister lives about 15 minutes from the trailhead (she just had a kid so I'm killing two birds with one stone biking and uncling haha). I ride a 4 mile loop down here behind Troy State University @ Dothan- it's not that big but I guess whoever designed it worked with what they had. Nice to start out on I suppose.

Hopefully I'll have some clipless pedals sometime soon along with new rear der.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
cscarter said:
Yeah I'm riding the Wetumpka trail tomorrow... my sister lives about 15 minutes from the trailhead (she just had a kid so I'm killing two birds with one stone biking and uncling haha). I ride a 4 mile loop down here behind Troy State University @ Dothan- it's not that big but I guess whoever designed it worked with what they had. Nice to start out on I suppose.

Hopefully I'll have some clipless pedals sometime soon along with new rear der.
Sounds good. I haven't ridden the trail in Wetumpka but my friends have and they seem to really like it. You probably won't be the only one riding out there tomorrow. I haven't ridden any trails in the Dothan area. I know some folks that live down there but none that MTB.

One reason why I am taking it easy still is because I am trying to get used to my clipless pedals. I am doing ok and have only taken a few spills. No bad ones yet. My Fuel came with Shimano clipless pedals and I bought some SIDI Dominator 4 shoes when I bought my bike two weeks ago.

Have fun tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AUJWE said:
Sounds good. I haven't ridden the trail in Wetumpka but my friends have and they seem to really like it. You probably won't be the only one riding out there tomorrow. I haven't ridden any trails in the Dothan area. I know some folks that live down there but none that MTB.

One reason why I am taking it easy still is because I am trying to get used to my clipless pedals. I am doing ok and have only taken a few spills. No bad ones yet. My Fuel came with Shimano clipless pedals and I bought some SIDI Dominator 4 shoes when I bought my bike two weeks ago.

Have fun tomorrow.
Yeah I really enjoy the Wetumpka trail too but then I don't have alot to compare it against.. I'm gonna try and check out a trail near Andalusia in Conecuh National sometime this week before I have to start back to school.. and the one in Huntsville the weekend after school starts back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
cscarter said:
Yeah I really enjoy the Wetumpka trail too but then I don't have alot to compare it against.. I'm gonna try and check out a trail near Andalusia in Conecuh National sometime this week before I have to start back to school.. and the one in Huntsville the weekend after school starts back.
I just got home from riding some fo the Bartram Trail and part of the new Pleasent Hill trail that they opened in the Natl. Forest. I think you will be pleasently surprised by the new trail. It was a kick ass trail. It is brand new so there aren't any eroded spots yet causing anything very technical at all. Just a fast trail with lots of small hills. I would give it a 4-4.5 out of 5. It was tons better than the worn out Bartram Trail. I think it will be a popular ride this fall. I am going to go back tomorrow and ride the entire thing. It's only 4 miles or so one way but it is fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AUJWE said:
I just got home from riding some fo the Bartram Trail and part of the new Pleasent Hill trail that they opened in the Natl. Forest. I think you will be pleasently surprised by the new trail. It was a kick ass trail. It is brand new so there aren't any eroded spots yet causing anything very technical at all. Just a fast trail with lots of small hills. I would give it a 4-4.5 out of 5. It was tons better than the worn out Bartram Trail. I think it will be a popular ride this fall. I am going to go back tomorrow and ride the entire thing. It's only 4 miles or so one way but it is fast.
Is it beside the Bartram trail? Which should I ride first? I plan to ride one on moving day.. dunno how that's gonna go though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
cscarter said:
Is it beside the Bartram trail? Which should I ride first? I plan to ride one on moving day.. dunno how that's gonna go though.
The North trailhead, which I started from today, is on Forest Road 900. It is right across 900 from the entrance to Bartram Trail. Where the section of Bartram Trail that is closed to bikes begins. FR 900 is the first FR you come to when heading down HWY 186 from I-85. The Pleasent Hill Trail & Bartram TrailI are both on the right side of HWY 186. I hope that makes sense. You can't miss FR 900. It is the frist FR once you go over the interstate, it is a little ways past the bridge over Choctafaula Creek. The second road that you would come to if you passed FR 900 would be FR 949, where the ranger station is.

So, getting off/going over I-85 heading out Wire Road(HWY 186) away from Auburn, it is the first road on the right. You will see a big board marking the trailhead.

Once you go through the first section of woods on Pleaent Hill Trail you will have to ride up FR 903 for a good 1/2 mile or so. It will seem as though the trail will never pick back up but you will see where the trail continues at the end of FR 903. This is a mainly uphill section but it is worth it to ride back down on the way back out. Just keep following the yellow signs and you will be fine. Just be careful on the trail because there are a lot of potential blind spots where it would be easy to collide with an oncoming rider and like I said earlier it is a fast trail. There are free maps of the trail at the ranger station, they are on a yellow sheet of paper.

Ask away if you have anymore questions.

Joey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AUJWE said:
The North trailhead, which I started from today, is on Forest Road 900. It is right across 900 from the entrance to Bartram Trail. Where the section of Bartram Trail that is closed to bikes begins. FR 900 is the first FR you come to when heading down HWY 186 from I-85. The Pleasent Hill Trail & Bartram TrailI are both on the right side of HWY 186. I hope that makes sense. You can't miss FR 900. It is the frist FR once you go over the interstate, it is a little ways past the bridge over Choctafaula Creek. The second road that you would come to if you passed FR 900 would be FR 949, where the ranger station is.

So, getting off/going over I-85 heading out Wire Road(HWY 186) away from Auburn, it is the first road on the right. You will see a big board marking the trailhead.

Once you go through the first section of woods on Pleaent Hill Trail you will have to ride up FR 903 for a good 1/2 mile or so. It will seem as though the trail will never pick back up but you will see where the trail continues at the end of FR 903. This is a mainly uphill section but it is worth it to ride back down on the way back out. Just keep following the yellow signs and you will be fine. Just be careful on the trail because there are a lot of potential blind spots where it would be easy to collide with an oncoming rider and like I said earlier it is a fast trail. There are free maps of the trail at the ranger station, they are on a yellow sheet of paper.

Ask away if you have anymore questions.

Joey
I just finally finished moving in.. I'm thinkin about checkin it out tomorrow morning maybe--so I have to get on 85 south and take the wire road exit??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just rode burtram trail--that sucker is hilly.. didn't know if i was gonna make it back haha. I ran into the ranger on the way back he said he was trying to get rid of the rocks and stuff (lots of sand and rocks.. hard to keep traction). It seemed like a fun trail--still pretty hard for me.. guess i'll have to grow more. Maybe I'll check out chewlaca sometime this week..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Hey man. Sorry for the delayed response. I just got back to Auburn and finished unpacking. It sounds like you found one of the trails out there. The Pleasent Hill trail is a lot better than the Bartram Trail. What section of the Bartram Trail did you ride? Did you end up finding the Pleasent Hill Trail? Let me know.

Joey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Naw I didn't find the Pleasant Hill trail.. I didn't really go back out and look around though. I might go back out around there sunday and look around--I was suppose to go over to the Ranger station and pick up a map today but haven't really had time. I didn't realize how close they were. Chewlaca is even closer it's like 5 minutes if that from my apartment. I rode the section of Bartram that starts on 29.. it cut onto a fireroad like twice I think.. then I assume it became off limits to bikes because the post said no bikes..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Well, it sounds like you rode part of the Bartram Trail. I am assuming that you parked on the right across from the Little Texas fire station. You actually rode a good chunk of what is still open. You may have gotten to a point where a horse/hiking trail was. I think you needed to take a left on the second road that you came to, go down the hill and follow the road to the right and the trail picks up again at the bottom of the hill.

If you were to keep going a little ways on HWY-29 past where you turned off to ride the Bartram Trail you would get to HWY-186(if heading West) and HWY-80(if heading East toward Columbus). Get off of HWY-29 before you go over the bridge and head West and you will see the ranger station sign on the right after a few miles. The start/finish, depending on what you want to call it, of the Pleasent Hill trail is that way too. Once you pass the ranger station sign/road take the next dirt road on your left. Last dirt road(Forest Road FR900) before you go over the bridge and get to I-85 and the entrance to Pleasent Hill trail is there on your left once you turn in. Park on the right side of the road across from the Pleasent Hill trail sign and you're good to go.

I will be out there riding the Pleasent Hill trail this evening. Starting at around 5:30. But, I am going to park/start at the middle point of the trail. Here is another good spot: Stay on HWY-29(College Street) heading South toward Tuskegee and go past the parking spot for the Bartram Trail where you parked. Keep going and go over HWY-186. Go a few more miles and you will see a national forest sign on the right that says Taska Picnic Area. Park in the parking lot there and the trail is directly ahead of you, along the woodline. At that spot you are in the middle of the roughly 4 mile-long trail. The section that keeps heading South is a quick, fun section. I will be riding that this evening. So, if you happen to be out there and see a guy on a blue Trek Fuel 90 stop me.

Let me know if you have any questions. Later.

Joey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found the ranger station today and found the other trail which I'm gonna try and ride sometime next week.. I'm goin up to Monte Sano in Huntsville this weekend to ride with my brother.

I also talked to the ranger about the trail volunteer days he gave me the email of this lady in charge of the War Eagle Trail Association.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Sounds good man. I will probably see you out there sometime next week. I rode 12 miles out there yesterday evening, and I plan to ride a good bit next week. Post on here or e-mail when you find out some dates for trail maintance. I will definitely go out there and do some work.

I am heading up to Desoto State Park (Fort Payne just in case) in the morning with some friends who are doing an adventure race there on Saturday. They have to ride 8 miles MTB I believe. I'll pre-ride the trail with them tomorrow and let you know if it's worth going to if you're in the area.

Joey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
About what time do you usually ride? I'm trying to put in around 3 days a week.. my schedule should allow for that and then on the weekends.

What's up with all the mongoose bikes on campus? I see like 2 or 3 of them at every bike rack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I usually never start beofre 5:00 PM. Mainly becuase of the temperature. I like to ride in the evenings when it's cooler and the mosquitoes have never been a problem in the evenings out there to me. I only average about 8.5 MPH right now which isn't very fast to most folks. If you want to ride meet out there one evening and ride let me know.

I have spent a while today cleaning my bike and doing some needed maintance. I rode the trail in Desoto State Park on Firday evening and had my first flat. That was the most technical trail I have done. There were a lot of rocks in it and it was muddy even before it started raining. About half way through it a bad thunderstorm came up and about the time I got a flat lightning was popping all around me. I ran the last mile of the trail with my bike and b/c of the lightning I was running pretty fast. I spent a good while last night drying some of my gear out b/c it got soaked. Several people got hurt in the trail during Saturday's race. One guy busted his face open on a rock and another hurt his leg badly(someone told me broken). I met a guy who was a Fort Payne local who told me his buddy broke a few ribs and partially collapsed one of his lungs when they were out there a few weeks ago. Not cool.

I think the reason you see so many Mongose bikes on campus is because they are cheap. Folks go to Wal-mart or wherever and buy a cheap bike to commute with. I probably would to if that's all I was doing with it since they sit out in the weather and all. The nicest bike I have seen on campus in 4 years is a Trek 6000 series hardtail. But, considering how easy hey are to steal I can understand why.

Joey
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top