Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious from the local scene if any of you ride 1x9?

If you do are you satisfied with your range?

I've tried staying in the middle and just testing it out way but lack the perfect setup. Its pretty cheap to do and just curious if its enough.

opinions please. thanks.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
I've been known to run 1x8 once or twice for races and am satisfied with the range. While there isn't a big ring to really hammer with out on the flats I'm never spun out and once I get tired there are enough teeth to sit back and spin with. I think 1 x is about perfect. How many gears do you really need?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
setting it up doesn't seem that difficult, but there are different ways. Do you have a cahin tension on yours? do you any issues with the extreme angles of the chain? Also love not having to replace a 500 dollar crankset. that just sweetens the deal.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have run both.. Running the BB mount on my jet... and running a Post mounted on my mcr.... The bb mount is clean and doesn't touch the frame, but is a little harder to adjust etc. ....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yup - I am very happy with my setup on a heavy(ish) AM bike. I run a 32 front and 11-34 rear and have never found myself wanting more gears (except when I need to go fast on a flat road). Not being able to spin has really helped my leg strength.

My other rig is a SS.

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
I would never go back to running a front derailleur in NC. Been doing 1x9 for about 8 years or so. Like was mentioned above 32 front with 11-34 in the rear is all you need. I'm actually running a 36t inside on the rear currently and just don't have a 13t. It's a nice setup.....the 32F+36R is a nice climber for NC, call it my pseudo-granny.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just bought a new cassette yesterday (11-34). I rode only in the middle gear(34), toughed the grinding noise out when i was all the way top or bottom. Did just fine. I think this is the way to go. It's going to look totally bad-ass when I get finished with it.

·
Jamin, Applesause, No?
708 Posts
I think the whole Idea of a 1x9 or 1x10 is terrible. Either learn to multi task or stay out of the woods........ JK...... : ) Also FWIW, I cant wait to shift up to my big ring and leave you in the dust eddie.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that means you'll have to learn how to climb. when i say your going to slow up a hill and i have to pass you......that means pick it up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Both my bikes are setup with 1X9. The 29'r has a 30T in front, with a 11-34 in rear. My AM bike (34lbs) has the same cassette with a 28t ring up front. Used spacers to move the crank away from the BB to improve the chain line and alignment for an e13 mini chainguide. Perfect range of gears for a non-race fun bike. If done properly, you can do the conversion on your existing 4 bolt crankset.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats the nly thing I don't understand about this process. I have a xtr crankset, is not as easy as this? Take the large and smalls rings off, take the f derail off, install chain guide and accessories?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.