Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on Sram X0 vs. XTR. Since most of there ad money is from Shimano they wrote and article where they say Sram is nice but the gold standard is XTR. It was a very leaning towards the shimano but they couldn't stop giving props to Sram. Adjectives desribing XTR were more livilar. They didn't use many adjectives with the SRAM...anybody else read this article and what do you think??

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
on Sram X0 vs. XTR. Since most of there ad money is from Shimano they wrote and article where they say Sram is nice but the gold standard is XTR. It was a very leaning towards the shimano but they couldn't stop giving props to Sram. Adjectives desribing XTR were more livilar. They didn't use many adjectives with the SRAM...anybody else read this article and what do you think??
Isnt that an article from several months back, or is this a new one?

Are you asking what we think about the system ourself or the article. If the article I always take everything that MBA says with a grain of salt.

I have swithced all my off road bikes to x.0 from XTR and am more then happy that I did.

TJ

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
006_007 said:
Isnt that an article from several months back, or is this a new one?

Are you asking what we think about the system ourself or the article. If the article I always take everything that MBA says with a grain of salt.

I have swithced all my off road bikes to x.0 from XTR and am more then happy that I did.

TJ
my buddy just bought the magazine yesterday. I hate MBA but i saw that in there and read it and it was such a bias opinion. it was they were trying not to knock SRAM, but giving a few props, but they tried to make XTR the shiat

I love my sram

·
Registered
839 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
my buddy just bought the magazine yesterday. I hate MBA but i saw that in there and read it and it was such a bias opinion. it was they were trying not to knock SRAM, but giving a few props, but they tried to make XTR the shiat

I love my sram
Have to agree...I'd take SRAM over XTR for extreme application anyday. I saw that article as well but didn't get all the way through it. I don't pay too much attention to the editor's views in MBA but I look at it I get the impression it was a yuppie (24lb) bike mag thats trying to "turn the corner" of progression with Freeride.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
I read the article, what they said seemed mostly true, but there was an obvious XTR bias. SRAM's shifting is very evident (kinda loud) but VERY precise and only a little bit slower than XTR. In my experience adding anything SRAM to a drivetrain will make it better, while Shimano can gunk things up. Love the SRAM. Also, they mentioned SRAM developing cranksets....why? What do they own TruVativ for?

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Andrewpalooza--

Nice quote. It's not too often that you see quotes from a fine piece of Americana such as that...a fine film indeed.

By the way, yes, SRAM over anything Shimano any day of the week.

·
Registered
467 Posts
no no..

VooDoo13 said:
Have to agree...I'd take SRAM over XTR for extreme application anyday. I saw that article as well but didn't get all the way through it. I don't pay too much attention to the editor's views in MBA but I look at it I get the impression it was a yuppie (24lb) bike mag thats trying to "turn the corner" of progression with Freeride.
not freeride, that sounds bad: black diamond riding

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
funny thing is that they were comparing xtr to an x.9...

and the x.9 still was better

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
magazines are just marketing tools.

who gives a fvck what they have to say? It goes without saying that they are completely biased towards whatever company puts up the most $$$. It's their job, always has been, always will be.

Take what they say with a grain of salt, and just enjoy the pictures.

I had XT shifters on XTR derailers... switched over to a full X9 trigger setup... and the SRAM system is far better in my oppinion.

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
I have never bought a product because of the "reviews" it gets in a magazine. I've own'd both XO and XTR, they both work great, neither worked better than the other. All the new dual control sh*t from shimano blows, i wont ride any of that crap. X9 trigger with XO (even X9) derailer has worked very well for me. I like the direct cabel rooting as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.