Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing a 04 stumpjumper and am wondering if anybody has been xc racing on this bike. Also wondering how much they weight. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim S

·
Registered
24 Posts
jims said:
I am thinking of purchasing a 04 stumpjumper and am wondering if anybody has been xc racing on this bike. Also wondering how much they weight. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jim S
Well, I plan on racing my Stumpy Comp (non disc).
The thing is that during that month since i got it there just weren't any races i liked. I race sport category but it's extremly competitive and difficult trails. I'm impressed with the stumpy that it's pretty race-able - and that's all i expect as i race maybe once in two months but i just ride for fun maybe 4 times a week.

Mine (Fox Float RL, Fox Triad, Mavic's 225, Spec Strongarm II Crank, Avid 5 V's) weighed 12.8 KG with slime in both the tubes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I race mosly endurance style events and if I had the $1100 I would buy one today. There are probably lighter options. The Fox up front gives an extra pound or half pound, but is still one of the big reasons I'm interested in it. The other parts spec'd on the bike are not going to be real light either, but I think they are pretty solid. The frame is down around 3 pounds, though, I think, and looks great so you can always do some swapping to get it where you want it.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I have been racing my Stumpjumper all of this season.

The bike is definatly raceable, and handles superbly on the trail as well. I got the Stumpy over the Epic becasue I do so much more trail riding than racing. I have probably done about 10 races this season, and have been impressed with the stumpjumper in all of them. My med. Anodized frame weighs 5.52 pounds Built with Crossmax wheels, Lots of XTR, and Thompson Stem and Post my Bike weights just under 25 pounds

·
Registered
668 Posts
rpiontek said:
Are you sure the Stumpjumper frames weighs 5.5 pounds, or do you mean the epic frame weighs 5.5 pounds? I would have expected the stumpy to be under 4 lbs, if not closer to 3.
Somebody clarify - Stumpjumper FSR or Stumpjumper HT....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Clarification

Rpiontek meant a Stumpjumper fsr weighs 5.5 lbs. AND he has a 30th anniversary edition, hence the XTR crossmax and thompson. One of my team mates got one of those recently and it is very nice. cheers!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I work with a guy who just bought an 04 stumpy hardtail for about $1000 and it wieghs a little of over 24 pounds. He's just getting into mountain biking so can't really say what he thinks of it yet. I have a 97 s-works m-2. The new stumpys are quite a bit more advanced. I've done a few dozen races on it and I really like it although I'm planning on getting a full suspension bike like maybe a stumpjumper fsr or santa cruz blur depending on what I find out about them and money. My s-works has had just about every part replaced since I built it up as a frame 7 years ago. Actually the origanal stuff are the breaks, cranks and front derailleur, all of which I'm going to upgrade this winter. It used to wiegh about 23 1/2 pounds and then I went to school and the money dried up and now it wieghs over 25 pounds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any of the Stumpjumper models will do fine for racing. I know of a few local semi-pro riders that have been racing on the Stumpjumper HT base model with a few minor upgrades all season and have been doing great.

It's a great bike that equals or exceeds my S-Works from 2000.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Me and my bike

I have been racing for 2 years on my stumpy hardtail and it cleans up! i'm not sure what year it is but it says "made in the USA" so its probably an older model. its really quite light
(lighter than my brothers Seven Sola Steel) and i have absoulutley nothing to complain about! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.