Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent addition of MN to the NICA, my high school made a team! I'm super stoked they made one. This means that I'll be racing. I have a few times, but nothing major.

Anyways, I happen to be looking into buying a SS 29er. I found a used Jamis Dragon One 29er for a good deal locally.

Do you guys race on your SS? Do you see many other people do it? Will If drag my team down by riding a SS in races? I also have been riding for 4 years, so I'm in pretty good biking shape.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
I do with good results. If you are a fast rider than you will race fast even on a SS. You may be a tad slower than you otherwise would be on a geared bike but its probably a few seconds per lap depending on the terrain.

I do see a few others doing it. They are all speeds from slow to pretty fast. Im positive the slow ones aren't slow because of their single gear ratio though...

Hope this helps.

And congrats! Find a college with collegiate racing also. Itll make your life better.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,875 Posts
With the recent addition of MN to the NICA, my high school made a team! I'm super stoked they made one. This means that I'll be racing. I have a few times, but nothing major.

Anyways, I happen to be looking into buying a SS 29er. I found a used Jamis Dragon One 29er for a good deal locally.
Hate to break it to you, but SS is not allowed in NICA races. Don't know what your budget is, but if you like single speeding find a bike that will go both ways. Salsa El Mariachi 2 maybe.

Be patient. Once things get rolling with the league there will be shops that will provide a good discount to high school racers.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,875 Posts
And yes, lot's of single speeders also race. My son races in the CO league and enjoys riding and racing his single speed in the local races as well. He's got a santa cruz chameleon which works great as a ss and a geared bike.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The no SS rule is to save/protect your joints that are in development during your teenage years. There is no arguing that a SS can be rough on your knees.

Jamis used to sell a deralleur hanger with the Dragon SS frames. I've always liked that bike and if you can get a hanger for it, then go for it. Make sure there are cable stops for the derailleur housing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No Single Speed racing in H.S. but any kid can sign up for a local race on a S.S. that's stupid! Ski Racing / Snowboarding is hard on the knees also... Dumb!

Another reason I'm not a fan of NICA. I like the basis of getting kids racing, and run a Jr MTB group myself, but after looking into the NICA have determined there is too many hoops and red tape to go through. Especially living in WI where the WORS series is huge, and the regular MNMTB series is not far behind.

My advise is to get out and ride as much as you can on whatever you have fun riding on. Afterall we are all doing this for the fun of it! Rock on!

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,752 Posts
I race ss up here in New England. I don't win races, but I'm not losing any either. I excel at the tight and twisty, and do well on the hills. Anytime there is a large chunk of dirt road or double track, I start getting dropped. Racing ss is a bigger mental game because you have to read the terrain better to plan passing, and know when to lay it on hard to drop possible future passers.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just use a dingle and call your bike a 2 speed.
The rules state that you need 5 cogs in the back and have a limitation on gear inches - much like junior road races.

You can run 5 cogs on just about any cassette style singlespeed hub, so as long as you can get a derailleur hanger on that jamis, you'll just need a rear shifter, a compatable rear derailleur and a compatable cassette and some type of chain guide. That will should give you enough to meet the bike standards and afford you some flexibility if you want to switch to singlspeed down the road.

Assuming that you have a decent local shop, they should be able to help you out with converting the bike to a 1x5 or 1x6 setup. Assuming that you can put a hanger on the frame... if you cant do that, then you're dead in the water for the scholastic series... you won't be allowed to compete.

For any other races, however, you certainly can race a singlespeed. It's far less of a handicap than most realize. Personally, I think I'm faster in most situations on my SS than I am on my geared bike. As such, I race my SS almost exclusively.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hate to break it to you, but SS is not allowed in NICA races. Don't know what your budget is, but if you like single speeding find a bike that will go both ways. Salsa El Mariachi 2 maybe.

Be patient. Once things get rolling with the league there will be shops that will provide a good discount to high school racers.
Well that's really disappointing to hear. Luckily, 2 local shops sponsor it and give discounts. Including Penn Cycle, which sol the first Trek. Well at least now I can get a decent geared 29er with the discount.

Thank you for the replies, everyone!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I started racing SS this year and while I've always competed in an SS specific class, I pass plenty of geared racers on course.

Another frame option is the Niner SIR9 - comes with an RD hanger & EBB so you can easily switch.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have an el mariachi that i just built up and its a lot of fun. So much fun that I might have to sell my gf rig that isnt seeing much riding time.

·
2,989 Posts
I've been riding/racing SS since I started mountain biking in '09.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,875 Posts
Another reason I'm not a fan of NICA. I like the basis of getting kids racing, and run a Jr MTB group myself, but after looking into the NICA have determined there is too many hoops and red tape to go through. Especially living in WI where the WORS series is huge, and the regular MNMTB series is not far behind.
What hoops and red tape are you referring to?

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Yes people race on single speeds all the time. All I really have left are single speeds anymore.

From what I've found is that I'm faster on the rolling hills on the SS. If it gets really steep the SS makes you work, but your still faster. Depending upon the downhill sections you can still be competitive. For flat terrain is where I feel the single speed falls apart.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts