Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Hey do you know how big of tires you can fit in the stock '05 chainstays? Would a geax sturdy 2.25 (which is really big actually) fit? Or a continental 2.3? Thats about as narrow as I woudl go.

debating about picking up an '05 that might need new lowers vs. waiting for an '06...

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
FM said:
Thanks!

Hey do you know how big of tires you can fit in the stock '05 chainstays? Would a geax sturdy 2.25 (which is really big actually) fit? Or a continental 2.3? Thats about as narrow as I woudl go.

debating about picking up an '05 that might need new lowers vs. waiting for an '06...
A Continental 2.3 would fit technically, but only by a couple of mm; so to me not really. I had a Kenda Nevegal 2.1 UST rear tire that fit, but I could see rub marks on the non-drive side of the swingarm when I'd remove the rear wheel. The Nevegal is big, actually measures 2.2 according to Shiggy's site. It fit, but the rub marks would have eventually have taken off the paint and then worn the Aluminum... You get the picture. Right now I'm running a Spec Adrenaline 2Bliss 2.0, which is actually 2.14. They are about as big as I feel comfortable running with the narrow lowers. And, at least for now, I think they are the perfect complement to what the Moto-lite was designed for.

If I were you, I'd wait to get the 2006 model. Not so much for the tires you can't run today, but for the new tires that you won't be able to run in the future. That's why I'm getting the 2006 lowers. Besides, it's also a stiffer, more robust design.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Max 2.2 inches.

FM said:
Thanks!

Any tire wider that 2.2 inches (measured... not as advertized) will rub when railing the corners, riding very technical trails, and pedaling while standing. It's been my experience that the degree of rub seems to be more related to wheel stiffness (deflection) rather than flex of the ML rear. The reason I say that is I run two sets of wheels on the ML and my light weight wheels with double butted spokes definately deflects more thus rubs worse than the one with straight gauge. AND, if you blow up some rear spokes well then you can just forget about riding. I've come to the conclusion that I will be needing to up-grade to the wider stays on my 05 because my current lowers are developing wear grooves in the metal :( .

I have used both a Conti 2.3 Exp Pro and 2.3 Survival Pro in the rear and they will rub. I also use a Nevgal DTC 2.1 in the rear and it too rubs. Actually, at one point early on, I thought the narrow stays wouldn't be an issue, but with one season under my belt I can say Titus made a mistake by spec'ing the bike with the RX type yokes.

Regards,

EndUser

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The largest tire i was absolutely able to fit on the standard lowers was an Intense System 4 2.25 which is correctly measured at 2.25. It only had about 2-3mm to spare in clearance and would rub with slight deformities. If you want any kind of reasonable clearance go absolutely no bigger than a real 2.2. The freeride lowers have a bunch of clearance but they are pricey at $375. The 06 Moto Lite has a new design specifically for it so you might want to wait and see how much those will cost.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Hecubus said:
The largest tire i was absolutely able to fit on the standard lowers was an Intense System 4 2.25 which is correctly measured at 2.25. It only had about 2-3mm to spare in clearance and would rub with slight deformities. If you want any kind of reasonable clearance go absolutely no bigger than a real 2.2. The freeride lowers have a bunch of clearance but they are pricey at $375. The 06 Moto Lite has a new design specifically for it so you might want to wait and see how much those will cost.
From the looks of it, the 06 stays seem to be nothing more than the freeride lowers, which I believe came from the Quasi. Anyway, I've never seen anything said specifically about the lowers, so I'm inclined to believe that Titus simply standardize the FR lowers for 2006. That would make more sense financially to use existing tooling than redesigning a complete new stay to achieve the exact same result.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
airwreck said:
what!?
traitor...
:p
LOL. Well, I may as well come clean here. I need a new XC rig since I'm tired of riding the hardtail on long summer rides and the RFX is pretty much a dedicated FR bike now.

It's down to the moto-light and 5-spot, unless I come across a really good deal on something else. Sadly, money is a key issue- if it were not, I would just buy an 06 spot.

The motolite geometry actually works better for me, since I have like a 33" inseam and I'm 5-9". LOTS of seatpost on a spot, unless I go with a large, which would be kind along. The medium motolite lookd perfect.

I rarely run tires smaller than 2.35, which bums me on the titus. The turner has gobs of clearance and better finish imho. I love turners bushings, the new ano finish, and overall quality. Also, my shock collection would fit a 'spot. I have a great parts kit already for either frame, with a 130mm Z1, king wheels, shimano hydros, monkey DH carbon bar, thomsen etc.

I'm just kicking tires now but I'm looking forward to having a duallie that weighs under 36lbs for XC riding!

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
FM said:
LOL. Well, I may as well come clean here. I need a new XC rig since I'm tired of riding the hardtail on long summer rides and the RFX is pretty much a dedicated FR bike now.

It's down to the moto-light and 5-spot, unless I come across a really good deal on something else. Sadly, money is a key issue- if it were not, I would just buy an 06 spot.

The motolite geometry actually works better for me, since I have like a 33" inseam and I'm 5-9". LOTS of seatpost on a spot, unless I go with a large, which would be kind along. The medium motolite lookd perfect.

I rarely run tires smaller than 2.35, which bums me on the titus. The turner has gobs of clearance and better finish imho. I love turners bushings, the new ano finish, and overall quality. Also, my shock collection would fit a 'spot. I have a great parts kit already for either frame, with a 130mm Z1, king wheels, shimano hydros, monkey DH carbon bar, thomsen etc.

I'm just kicking tires now but I'm looking forward to having a duallie that weighs under 36lbs for XC riding!
You can always call your LBS and see if they'd cut you a deal on the FR lowers, assuming that you're getting an 05 ML.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Moto-Lite vs 5 Spot & SPAM

Hey FM,
I have spent a bunch of time on both a med 05 Moto-Lite and a med 04 5Spot. They are very similar bikes the ML has a longer TT and slacker Seat Tube angle, when set up with a 5" fork. Like you I was concerned with the tire clearance and ended up running a 2.1 Nevagal with no clearance issues. If you are interested I am thinking about selling my med red 04 5Spot frame.
I could live with either one...
HoJo

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HoJo said:
Hey FM,
I have spent a bunch of time on both a med 05 Moto-Lite and a med 04 5Spot. They are very similar bikes the ML has a longer TT and slacker Seat Tube angle, when set up with a 5" fork. Like you I was concerned with the tire clearance and ended up running a 2.1 Nevagal with no clearance issues. If you are interested I am thinking about selling my med red 04 5Spot frame.
I could live with either one...
HoJo
Good feedback. I have yet to see anybody build up a moto-lite the way I would, with a Z1 and more free-ride psrts. It would be my XC bike but I still want to be able to hit jumps. Based on teh reviews etc. i think it would be great. Hojo, PM me I guess, or email me at emailsucks98 at yahoo.com. Doesn't look like you are set up for PM's or email here on MTBR. I am in no rush, who knows.

Airwreck, I hadn't considered the preston. I'll take a look. However, I do want something in the 6lb range for the frame. I'd like the full bike to be 32lbs or less, with big tires. 30lb would be perfect. It would see mainly technical XC and some epics that are actually pretty smooth. I'd rather err on teh light side (while still keeping me Z1) since I have the RFX as well.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
FM said:
Good feedback. I have yet to see anybody build up a moto-lite the way I would, with a Z1 and more free-ride psrts. It would be my XC bike but I still want to be able to hit jumps. Based on teh reviews etc. i think it would be great. Hojo, PM me I guess, or email me at emailsucks98 at yahoo.com. Doesn't look like you are set up for PM's or email here on MTBR. I am in no rush, who knows.

Airwreck, I hadn't considered the preston. I'll take a look. However, I do want something in the 6lb range for the frame. I'd like the full bike to be 32lbs or less, with big tires. 30lb would be perfect. It would see mainly technical XC and some epics that are actually pretty smooth. I'd rather err on teh light side (while still keeping me Z1) since I have the RFX as well.
you can fit an 8 inch rear brake with the free ride lowers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
airwreck said:
Was the Transition Preston ever on your list?
I've ridden a Preston, and it's not really set up as a XC bike IMO. It's got a very slack ht. Heavy also.

I have yet to see anybody build up a moto-lite the way I would, with a Z1 and more free-ride psrts. It would be my XC bike but I still want to be able to hit jumps.
Mine's an 06 with a Firefly (not quite a Z1, but heavy anyway) and a good selection of FR parts. Built exactly like you are thinking, and it is perfect. I'm not going to do anything too big on it, but that's what I have another bike for. At least now I can hit a little creek gap or something and not worry about folding my XC bike in half.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mntnbiker72 said:
I've ridden a Preston, and it's not really set up as a XC bike IMO. It's got a very slack ht. Heavy also.
Mine's an 06 with a Firefly (not quite a Z1, but heavy anyway) and a good selection of FR parts. Built exactly like you are thinking, and it is perfect.
Excellent. Got any pictures? What does your rig weigh? How are the angles with your firefly- I'm thinking thats about the same a2c as my Z1. Use sounds similar- I want a lighter FS bike for summer alpine epics, but want to be able to hit the occasional jump/drop that comes along on XC rides. Whats the biggest tire you've run on the 'o6 rear?

I checked out the preston, 8.9lbs for the frame, thats close to my RFX in weight so thats definately out! This will be my XC bike.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
zorg said:
From the looks of it, the 06 stays seem to be nothing more than the freeride lowers, which I believe came from the Quasi. Anyway, I've never seen anything said specifically about the lowers, so I'm inclined to believe that Titus simply standardize the FR lowers for 2006. That would make more sense financially to use existing tooling than redesigning a complete new stay to achieve the exact same result.

Just my opinion.
Yeah they do look the same but at least they're included in the base cost rather than a $375 upgrade. And they're painted too :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.