Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. Rode it today with Godzilla & FunkMaster. The route we took was 45.2 miles long but we were curious about how much climbing there was. We started off going up Strawberry from Pine Valley and then worked our way over to the CT. Kind of an tough ride. Should of brought more water.

·
1,534 Posts
i'm not sure of the exact starting/ending points...so i won't do it for you, but maps.google.com has topo maps if you click the 'terrain' button (upper right corner). should be able to get a pretty good idea of it from looking at that.

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
now in superlight!
130 Posts
we rode from wellington- waterton 2 weeks ago with the green mtn loop thrown in- at 43.5 miles, it was also a very long, hot ride. The elevation gain is about 5000Ft as written earlier, but waterton- baily is about 7000 ft elevation change- much more climbing...probably a better ride in the fall

·
Registered
944 Posts
daddyguy said:
we rode from wellington- waterton 2 weeks ago with the green mtn loop thrown in- at 43.5 miles, it was also a very long, hot ride. The elevation gain is about 5000Ft as written earlier, but waterton- baily is about 7000 ft elevation change- much more climbing...probably a better ride in the fall
hmmm, we did this ride about six weeks ago and had roughly 7k of climbing per our GPS units

And 10,500 feet of descending:thumbsup:

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7 - 8K feels close. Looking at the map, the route we took was leaving from Pine Valley Ranch, up Strawberry Jack to Gashouse to ******* Creek (?) to the CT and home. I was in the coffin on the climb out of the Platte. No GPS. No pics. Elroy had a computer on his bike which gave us the 45.2 distance. Good ride. Wish I'd thought of bringing iodine tabs...and a much lighter bike.

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
DWF said:
7 - 8K feels close. Looking at the map, the route we took was leaving from Pine Valley Ranch, up Strawberry Jack to Gashouse to ******* Creek (?) to the CT and home. I was in the coffin on the climb out of the Platte. No GPS. No pics. Elroy had a computer on his bike which gave us the 45.2 distance. Good ride. Wish I'd thought of bringing iodine tabs...and a much lighter bike.
I pretty sure its about 8k acording to the co trail guide.

·
Registered
49 Posts
did this ride a couple weeks ago - but in reverse (Waterton to Wellington) - total ascent from Waterton to Wellington was a little over 10,000ft - total descent was right at 7,500ft....so reverse the ascent/descent for opposite direction...great riding!!

how about all that nice soft loose dirt from the recent trail maint on the CT coming out of the South Platte (heading east on the CT)???.....and the 23 switchbacks to climb out towards Waterton- wooohoo!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey Godzilla! Good to meet you, Funkmaster and DWF again. I have a small problem with short term memory loss. Glad you finished the ride in one piece. Also glad I didn't join you, 40+ miles and 8000ft of elevation, don't think I could have done it. Until we meet again.......MM

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
Mojo Maestro said:
Hey Godzilla! Good to meet you, Funkmaster and DWF again. I have a small problem with short term memory loss. Glad you finished the ride in one piece. Also glad I didn't join you, 40+ miles and 8000ft of elevation, don't think I could have done it. Until we meet again.......MM
It was good seeing you too - it's always funny running into familiar faces / beards (as the case may be) on the trail. I was starting to think we should've joined you about 5 hours after we saw you.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What's the deal with this ride and too little water? I did it a few years ago from Bailey. My stomach was acting up a bit and my pace was not what I anticipated it would be. Ran out of water climbing out from the S Platte. When I got to Waterton, I thought about filling my bottles out of the river, but figured the iodine would take about as long as getting back to the car, so I just suffered for another 20 minutes or so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.