Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Need help please!

The shock is hitting & denting the bottom of toptube (1642&1642), rocker plates (1640&1646) is tring to slice the L&R sides of the toptube.

Anybody is this normal or just an anomally of just my XCE

Attachments

·
1,316 Posts
QAZ,
Whoa, definitely not normal! There should be no metal-to-metal contact anywhere, certainly not there...(I am not sure how contact can occur there???) Can you give some more details. How long have you had that XCE? How / when did the first contact occur. Made any changes recently? What size is that shock (should be 6.5 X 1.5) Does it make contact with the TT at full extension, is the shock compressed a bit in the picture? With a bit more info I am sure someone here can get you sorted out.

Have any more pics to share? Man that looks painful...sumptin defnitly not rite!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
original rockers or have they been swapped? pretty obvious thats not the original shock so my guess is tosser nailed it. sure looks like the shock is at full compression or close to it from the orientation of the rockers in the pics. remember, if yer goin for more travel, a shock is rarely the answer.

if ya havent yet figured it out on yer own, stop ridin it till ya have it all sorted.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
If you can, post some full side shots as well.
What size frame is that?

My first guess is someone changed the shock to one that is the wrong length/stroke, and additionally the eyelet reducers may be too narrow and may be causing the rocker plates to bend in to meet them and thus cause rubbing on the top tube.

The last three pictures there is a mark on the rocker near the shock bolt that sort of looks like a crack.

Curious, in the last picture, what is that white circle in the top tube that looks like a waterbottle mount?

Also, is that a box-style seat-tube brace just under the post clamp? Edit: I see from This thread here a box brace is not uncommon.
AFAIK The rocker angle does not look unusual either.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
what size frame?
my '02 small rfx does that, and the rockers hit the hit the top tube also, exactly like your bottom photo. I've had to remove material from the inside of all the rockers I've tried.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
What they said

Plus, has this bike has ever been shipped from one buyer to the next without a shock?

Why are there different shaped and located markings? There should only be 1 half moon shaped marking per side to match the rocker radius. Did you file the inner edge of the 2 rocker plates for a little extra clearance? There appears to be some chamfers filed into the inner edges of the rockers, or is that a reflection?

DT

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
It strikes me that those markings would be caused by the rear wheel dropping, not compressing, since the damage would have to occur in the upward stroke?

·
12,942 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Also, is that a box-style seat-tube brace just under the post clamp? Edit: I see from This thread here a box brace is not uncommon.
AFAIK The rocker angle does not look unusual either.
yep. confirmed. xce's had the box brace. i had to comfirm this once i got home in a pic of a standard frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
more pics

eye to eye of the shock is 6.5 inches; but i did not measure it with the shock removed from the frame. I don't know how to measure the stroke, sorry.

More photos but measurements in cm/metric

I'll include a metric converter though

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/length

Curious, in the last picture, what is that white circle in the top tube that looks like a waterbottle mount? Bikezilla - there are 3 holes on the sides but i don't know what they are; i found nO crack as you've mentioned.

its a SM frame.

Attachments

·
12,942 Posts
whats the measurement between the rockers where they bolt to the shock? stoke can be easly and accurately measured by releasing all the shock pressure then findin out how much the lower shaft compresses into the upper body. thats yer stroke.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I got all the same measurements except for one. The distance from the main rocker pivot to the shock pivot on my rockers is only 8cm - not 15cm as you have in your pics.

·
12,942 Posts
im sure that was a mistake or his rockers would look kinda silly. im now bettin if its not a stroke issue, which its not soundin like anymore, his reducers are too narrow. looks that way in the pics anyway and would explain the interference. not like that will save the frame or rockers at this point.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
This is a goofy post. Based on the pix, there is plenty of clearance...and again, extension, not compression will cause this interference. Maybe someone took the shock off and let the rockers bash the frame a few times before they put it back?

I love the curves of Turner Rockers--so sexxay!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SSINGA said:
I got all the same measurements except for one. The distance from the main rocker pivot to the shock pivot on my rockers is only 8cm - not 15cm as you have in your pics.
SORRy its 8cm my fault

cactuscorn said:
whats the measurement between the rockers where they bolt to the shock? stoke can be easly and accurately measured by releasing all the shock pressure then findin out how much the lower shaft compresses into the upper body. thats yer stroke.
let me cek later. thx

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.