Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm learning to enjoy the RFX, and constantly trying new stuff (not really big, but improving). I'm also seeing all these stories of injuries, and want to try to prepare for them.
I'm currently riding with elbow and knee pads, and an XC lid with jaw protection ("full-face XC lid"). Rides consist of both climbs and descents, and both need to be enjoyable. I tried a TLD full-face and found it quickly to be hell to do anything except by descending.
Would a pressure suit be enjoyably rideable for AM? Or should I expect it also to be hot as hell?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Too hot sometimes

Depending on the ambient temperature on the trail it may be too hot or pretty comfortable. I a was out riding moto this weekend in 60 degrees ambient with a rockgarden jacket and it didn't feel hot at all. Though you're going a lot faster and not pedaling uphill. In general, for biking, I only use a pressure suit if I shuttle but not if I have to ride uphill.

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
tald said:
So I'm learning to enjoy the RFX, and constantly trying new stuff (not really big, but improving). I'm also seeing all these stories of injuries, and want to try to prepare for them.
I'm currently riding with elbow and knee pads, and an XC lid with jaw protection ("full-face XC lid"). Rides consist of both climbs and descents, and both need to be enjoyable. I tried a TLD full-face and found it quickly to be hell to do anything except by descending.
Would a pressure suit be enjoyably rideable for AM? Or should I expect it also to be hot as hell?

Thanks for any advice!
I'd say the gear you are wearing is plenty for the riding you describe.
Wearing a pressure suite is uncomfortable enough when resort riding, I'd never want to head out on a trail ride in one.
Unless you seriously think you will be ragdolling through the rocks, a dh jacket is overkill.

·
Registered
498 Posts
tald said:

Thanks for any advice!
This guy talks a lot about training to avoid injury and it makes a lot of sense. It seems to me that the rocks always seem to find the ****** in my armour no matter what.

http://www.mtbstrengthcoach.com/

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
Here's my two cents for what it's worth..........I've got a chest/shoulder/back guard called an O'neal Rok Jacket that is lightweight, offers great protection (mental huevos), and is quite breathable. I'm from St.George, Utah so you can trust me on it's breathability, I wear it all summer too. I'll also sometimes rock some Axo knee/shin guards which have the same virtues of my O'neal. If I think I'm really going to be throwing down I've also got some 661 Elbow/forearm guards that I throw in my pack for the climb then put on when the descending. You can take a look at my armor by checking out the following thread: "loco moto visits so. utah." I think you're going about armor in smart way, better safe than sorry, and as my dad likes to say "live to ride another day."

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
i just got a ps for shuttling manara and, if im lucky, les gets this summer. but riding around with one for AM would be very uncomfortable, especially with our weather. one thing some of the guys i ride with do for rides like alon-shokef is carry a ps on their camlebak and suit up before decending, or at meirav for trying new drops.

·
Living the Dream
1,779 Posts
LOL. The first time I read this

I thought you were asking about getting a pressure suit for riding in the morning (i.e. am riding):D . In my defense, it was early (or really late) when I read this. I think that wearing too much armor makes you more susceptible to crashing. This is especially true in hot environments. I just think that a lot of armor and a Full Face makes you hot, tired, and uncomfortable. To me, this is more likely to lead to a crash. Also, I think of AM riding as Epic or a long day in the saddle. You are not going to want to put a lot of miles in a pressure suit. Pressure Suits are for resorts or shuttling. However, if you are doing large drops or riding extremely fast on sketchy terrain, then maybe the PS is warranted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 2cents..I have the blue 661 pressure suit and would recommend it for it's outstanding fit and protection level. It doesn't slip around at all--the elbow/forearm pads really stay put and it was just cool enough in about 70 degree when pedaling my 5 Spot uphill a few miles. I was surprised at how well it breathed actually. It also saved my shoulder from a hit. Plus it is compact and light enough to attach to a Camelbak if you want on the climbs. I don't use it often, but I do like it. :thumbsup:

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
I much prefer my 661 pressure suit over elbow pads as I've always found that elbow pads never stay in place for more than 10 seconds. Plus I never had a problem wearing it in the heat. I lived and rode in the tropics for two years and would wear it on most rides and in +80f temps and 100% humidity. I didn't use the spine protector as a full camelbak works fine as back protection.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,119 Posts
tald said:

Thanks for any advice!
Every once in a while if I feel a bad crash coming on or am riding with guys a lot better than I and feel I have push myself, I'll wear the 661 Core Saver for all-mountain riding. It's sleeveless, and seems to fit a bit better/snugger than the 661 Pressure Suits. Obviously it's not going to protect your shoulders, but it makes it airy enough that you won't die from heat frustration right away. The chest and spin sections are identical to the Pressure Suits but has a lot thicker and better placed padding on the colar bone (incase you case a tree with your neck). I also think the kidney belt is a bit better on the Core Saver than the Pressure Suit.

You're going to sweat like Richard Simmons in this, but if you already wear elbow armor, this is just a bit smaller than a Pressure Suit and a bit easier to pack due to the lack of shoulder and elbow protection.

check out www.sixsixone.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts