Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahwile back somebody posted a pic of a bike set up as a road machine with moustache bars and the big apple tires-it looked pretty cool. Does anybody out there have a bike like this with drop bars? Something that looks like a road bike but has super big slicks on it? I was thinking of picking up a used KM and trying it-it would be pretty funny on a group road ride! Also excellent for the bike path and the mrs :) Any pics?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
Ahwile back somebody posted a pic of a bike set up as a road machine with moustache bars and the big apple tires-it looked pretty cool. Does anybody out there have a bike like this with drop bars? Something that looks like a road bike but has super big slicks on it? I was thinking of picking up a used KM and trying it-it would be pretty funny on a group road ride! Also excellent for the bike path and the mrs :) Any pics?
Browse through the 29" Picture Gallery to get some ideas.

BB

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
Sorry no pics currently, but my KM is set up with moustache bars and 42c WormDrive/Mythos slicks. Gearing is 2x5 with road-oriented 42t big ring. For the warm/dry months I've got it set up with a V-brake in back, but keeping the disc in front for convenience of getting the front wheel on and off. Would be fun to experiment with the Big Apple, though I haven't tried it yet. Even the 700x42 tires are more forgiving than skinny ones, even at 80 psi.

It's a great commute machine, and for that purpose I actually prefer the slacker geometry and handling over my cyclocross bike. I also intend to experiment with a lighter wheelset and some true slicks to make it a real (if heavy) road bike. If that works out as well as I'm hoping, I may actually mothball the 'crosser.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a cool bike

That is sort of what I'm talking about, maybe a little more road bike oriented but that general type of machine. I really like my road and cross bike but I can't fit the superfatties on it. The cross bike actually comes sort of close to fitting the big apple (redline conquest cross frame and fork) up front but not even close in the rear. My fear is that I'll spend a bundle and end up with something I don't really like-I mean, road bike have skinny tires for a reason, right? But the cush of the fatties is appealing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.