Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering picking up an aftermarket Brake Therapy mod for the '06 Coiler and would like to hear from anybody that has had some time using their floating brake system. btw, I read somewhere that the the royalty for licensing a true 4.bar link is something like $20. The floating brake system seems like an expensive work around... but Kona, we still love ya'.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
sus13 said:
I was considering picking up an aftermarket Brake Therapy mod for the '06 Coiler and would like to hear from anybody that has had some time using their floating brake system. btw, I read somewhere that the the royalty for licensing a true 4.bar link is something like $20. The floating brake system seems like an expensive work around... but Kona, we still love ya'.
I don't think that royalty thing is true. Specialized is a greedy and money-hording company.

If that were the case, I don't think so many companies would have gotten rid of their horst links.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
I don't think that royalty thing is true. Specialized is a greedy and money-hording company.

If that were the case, I don't think so many companies would have gotten rid of their horst links.
Probably just a control issue over the patent then. The Brake Therapy stuff has been out for some time, but really curious to see how many have bought into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
when turner moved there pivot it was found that the advantage of the horst was 2mm.

now im no scienticed but that cant make that much difference surely.

or is it because specialised cant design there own ideas so just patented the first thing that came along.

same as manitou patenting the reverse arch,wasnt that a british design from pace first.

that d,o,p,e thingy looks cool but in all honestly i possibly wont feel the difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
konut said:
when turner moved there pivot it was found that the advantage of the horst was 2mm.
Check out Kona's D.O.P.E video where they have a demo. Looks fairly impressive, when you remove the spring entirely, spin the rear wheel and slam on the brake. Fortunately, the ProPedal seems to help a bit and running a higher spring rate (a must for the DHX5 Air). I've had a problem with brake jack only a few times when decending some steep rocky stuff in Mammoth and Santa Barbara.
 

·
Happy Coiler Owner
Joined
·
160 Posts
ntha said:
IMO a floating brake system isn't one of the top items on the upgrade list for a bike like the Coiler for general AM use.
while the op did mention the floater, it isnt the only plus for the dope system,
i have considered upgrading to use a 12mm thru axle
 

·
Happy Coiler Owner
Joined
·
160 Posts
konut said:
fejifighter you can use a 12mm thru axle,you just need a 10mm step down axle,azonic make one.

or you could use a saint hub with 10mm thru axle
it was just a crazy idea i had one day when dreaming of upgrades to my coiler, but that saint hub option looks pretty nice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Oh I don't know....

XSL_WiLL said:
I don't think that royalty thing is true. Specialized is a greedy and money-hording company.

If that were the case, I don't think so many companies would have gotten rid of their horst links.
You may be suprised but $20 to a bike manufacturer is a lot IMO. Remember they have to sell at a profit to the dealer. The dealer takes that cost and marks it up by a standard margin to the consumer. If the end sell price doesn't compete with the competition it's a loser out of the gate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I think the floating brake is a good idea. It's been used on off roard motorcycles since the late 70's and it does work. That being said however I believe as it might help out the DH racer I don't think it's a must have for the XC or AM style of rider in the "Amature Class" and I wouldn't spend more than $20 to upgrade to it. Just my tight walleted opinion. :D

Money better spent: Get your shock revalved by Push or equivelent tuner.
 

·
Brackish
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
It's my understanding that the license for the Horst link is somewhere above $200 per frame. It may be as high as $400...I got an earful of this when I was on the phone with a warranty rep from a manufacturer who has since dropped the design. As far as floaters goes, in my experience they just encourage bad braking habits (riding the brakes unnecessarily in areas where you shouldn't be braking) and add one more thing hanging off the bike to break in a crash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
carbuncle said:
It's my understanding that the license for the Horst link is somewhere above $200 per frame. It may be as high as $400...I got an earful of this when I was on the phone with a warranty rep from a manufacturer who has since dropped the design. As far as floaters goes, in my experience they just encourage bad braking habits (riding the brakes unnecessarily in areas where you shouldn't be braking) and add one more thing hanging off the bike to break in a crash.
It's interesting that lower-end KHS frames include this and still overall bike price is fairly low. Maybe if Kona made their frames in Europe they could get around the patent issues.
 

·
Happy Coiler Owner
Joined
·
160 Posts
konut said:
the new 2007 801 hubs look similar to this with out the machined detail on the hub flange
hmm i NEED these on my coiler
that looks very nice

actually a local magazine is doing a year long test on the saint gear so it should be an interesting read

edit: jst saw the other post, thanks for the promise of pic, even if the bike is a little naked
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top