Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newer fat bike fan, I recently set up my after market hubs to the current standards of my Mukluk (135mm f, 170mm r), well-knowing that new standards are on the way. So now the news is out -the first suspension fork(s) will work with a 150mm hub. Meanwhile, I am seeing the potential benefit of a front suspension fork while descending at speed.

Seems to me that any fork manufacturer stands to capture a greater percentage of the fatty market by making the fork available to the widest range of fat bike riders. Most of them already have fat bikes, which means that their front hubs are very likely 135mm. With the above in mind, is there any interest in an adaptor -say a 7.5mm 6-bolt hub spacer, or a post-mount adaptor to bring the brake mount inward 7.5mm (i.e. half of the distance between 135mm and 150mm)?

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
White Brothers make one that moves the caliper in 5mm which is only 2.5 shy, this is what I am going to use.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
But you still have to figure out how to use a 135mm hub in a 150mm fork, or am I missing something? That seems to be the hard part.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
But you still have to figure out how to use a 135mm hub in a 150mm fork, or am I missing something? That seems to be the hard part.

Just have a machine shop make a couple of spacers or new end caps. I will have some pics up next week.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
If you are getting a machine shop involved, than just have them make a 7.5mm disc spacer as well.
That was an option but I plan on swapping between forks and it would be easier if I didn't have to take the rotor off. If need be I can file the holes on the WB adapter and get it pretty close and just leave it on Bluto.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about this, and then wonder if the longer disc bolts and more outboard position of the disc brake could leverage or strain the metal supporting the screw tracts in ways it was not designed. Could this be a long term reliability issue with some hubs?

If you are getting a machine shop involved, than just have them make a 7.5mm disc spacer as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts