Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wouldn't be a deal crusher but is anybody experiencing wheel flop on the Sultan? I've been riding a Niner Sir9 with the Niner rigid fork for a year and a half now and in the slow techy riding I experience some wheel flop. It's not to annoying and I've learned how to deal with it and try to avoid it but it's something I have never experienced on my 26" bikes. I kinda understand what causes it but am still a little confused.

I know a few of you have tried several of the 29er fork offers that are out there, were some worse than others or did you experience it at all?

I'm planning to throw the WB Fluid 135 on an upcoming Sultan build for reference.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I have an F135 on my Sultan and I cannot detect any wheel flop, but then again I have been riding a 6-Pack with a 170mm 66 for a long time and I like slack bikes like that. Anything much steeper and it feels twitchy to me now. I will say that the Sultan feels pretty nicely balanced with the F135. I like the handling better than when I was running a DUC.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,325 Posts
OldHouseMan said:
I've been riding a Niner Sir9 with the Niner rigid fork for a year and a half now and in the slow techy riding I experience some wheel flop.
Can you explain exactly what you mean by "wheel flop".

I have ridden very slack to very steep niners, and have not noticed it. Maybe I just don't know what "it" is.

·
trail fairy
9,531 Posts
tscheezy said:
I have an F135 on my Sultan and I cannot detect any wheel flop, but then again I have been riding a 6-Pack with a 170mm 66 for a long time and I like slack bikes like that. Anything much steeper and it feels twitchy to me now. I will say that the Sultan feels pretty nicely balanced with the F135. I like the handling better than when I was running a DUC.
And you are also running I9 wheels;)

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
jncarpenter said:
I have never felt even a hint of wheel flop on my Sultan w/ Minute 120mm fork. I just returned from the first ride on my rfx in 6 weeks and the wheel flop was very evident in comparison.
I've had the Sultan for 6 weeks and just for giggles jumped on my 06 RFX on an xc ride, same day same trail.... the sultan is more xc and rides harsh, the rfx is cushy but seems sluggish. What I really noticed is the sultan keeps it's line, the rfx front end feels like it needs a hopey steering dampener, and after a while I found my self compensating for this, I'm not a steering dampener ! When I get the sultan tuned from XC into a AM, it will be a better ride for me.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
trailadvent said:
And you are also running I9 wheels;)
Nope. They are hanging in the rafters right now. I've got some very light hoops mounted up currently: Am Classic rear and Hope Pro II front hubs with Stans 355 rims. Light tires too: Jones ACX. Light wheels are fun.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,762 Posts
How do you define wheel flop?

OldHouseMan said:
It wouldn't be a deal crusher but is anybody experiencing wheel flop on the Sultan? I've been riding a Niner Sir9 with the Niner rigid fork for a year and a half now and in the slow techy riding I experience some wheel flop. It's not to annoying and I've learned how to deal with it and try to avoid it but it's something I have never experienced on my 26" bikes. I kinda understand what causes it but am still a little confused.

I know a few of you have tried several of the 29er fork offers that are out there, were some worse than others or did you experience it at all?

I'm planning to throw the WB Fluid 135 on an upcoming Sultan build for reference.
I find my big wheeled bike is sluggish in tight turns and struggles on switchback climbing. I'm so glad I have my Spot back--long live the 26er :)

Jaybo

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
OldHouseMan said:
I noticed a tiny bit with the WB 135 at first, but it never became an issue, and it seemingly went away--or I just stopped noticing. Conversely, the Sultan was also very stable.

·
trail fairy
9,531 Posts
tscheezy said:
Nope. They are hanging in the rafters right now. I've got some very light hoops mounted up currently: Am Classic rear and Hope Pro II front hubs with Stans 355 rims. Light tires too: Jones ACX. Light wheels are fun.
Nice you gear whore you T:D

However I never figure you guys out even more so on those big hoops, ya want long travel slack angles then ya go and ruin it all by putting noddles all over the place!:eek::D

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First I'd like to say I just got back from seeing the Neville Brothers and Dr John, man it was an awesome show.

This weekend I was ridding on some local trails with at least 15 to 20 log ride overs, some 2 feet and up to to 3 feet tall. On some of the bigger logs as I got my front tire over the log with it (front tire) on the the other side and starting to lift my rear tire over (all at slow speed) the front tire literally would flop to the left or the right. When I say flop, it really feels like the fornt tire is just falling over.

·
Bodhisattva
10,870 Posts
OldHouseMan said:
First I'd like to say I just got back from seeing the Neville Brothers and Dr John, man it was an awesome show.

This weekend I was ridding on some local trails with at least 15 to 20 log ride overs, some 2 feet and up to to 3 feet tall. On some of the bigger logs as I got my front tire over the log with it (front tire) on the the other side and starting to lift my rear tire over (all at slow speed) the front tire literally would flop to the left or the right. When I say flop, it really feels like the fornt tire is just falling over.
I suspect this is nothing more than you getting used to handling the big wheels and anticipate you'll quickly learn to adjust your technique to compensate.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
The issue you describe with the log-over is not a function of wheel flop. The larger "lever" created by the bigger radius (axle to tire edge) will require more finesse and technique perhaps (leaving less room for sloppy technique)...but not wheel flop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.