Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever bought a complete bike and then sold off the frame and put all of the parts on a different frame. I was bored today so I added up component pricing (some had to be estimated) on a GF Paragon. I came up with $1800 + price of the wheelset using Speedgoat and a few educated guesses. The Paragon is far cheaper brand new than that. So could I buy a Paragon then sell the frame and parts I won't use on the MTBR classifieds/Ebay as brand new unridden. I know some things might need to be changed according to the frame I buy (seatpost, BB, front derailleur, etc.). I would change a few other things as personal preference also (seat, stem, bars). Anybody ever done this or am I a genius for coming up with this idea? Or am I missing something and I am an idiot. How much could I get for a brand new Fisher 29er frame on Ebay/MTBR classifieds?

The reason I ask is I am in the market for a new geared 29er in the earlier part of 06 to go with the 2 SS 29ers I have now. I have a total budget of $2-2.5K at the most. Right now my short list includes GF Paragon, X-Cal, custom Walt, Astrix Monk FS, new GF Supercal FS(?), custom Curtlo Hardtail, custom Curtlo FS 29er, or buid up a geared Karate Monkey. I am in SE Michigan so this bike won't do drops or big hucks. I am jumbo sized at 6'6" and around 270lbs. I would have no trouble going with a hardtail, but I am looking at my FS options also. I don't want a GF 292/293 because of the frame/swingarm issues/breakage. I am not sure I want to wait for the new Supercal either.

Matt

·
Registered
981 Posts
You're not nuts, I have thought about that before aswell. Or we're both crazy :)

When Supergo was still around and clearing out old inventory that they would buy out, I know some riders who bought some of the Tomac 98 Specials and the Weyless XP just for their parts and then sold frames online.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Good idea, but I think it makes more sense when you can score a bike on closeout (like mentioned above). If I were you, I would go the custom route (Curtlo or Walt because they are the cheapest) and buy some parts as you go. I think this is even a better idea because since your'a bigger fella and could use some custom wheels as well.

As far as the Paragon, I've had a bad experience with Bontrager cranks, don't like the Hayes brakes, would probably choose different wheels, stem, post, bars, headset etc.

A custom Curtlo will run you $755, which leaves you plenty of $$ left over to pick the parts YOU want without having to eBay etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bigwheel said:
I think you are missing a really good option, http://www.quiringcycles.net/
I did forget about him. Quiring would be nice because he is only an hour drive away from me. Quiring will be added to my short list of custom options. I am thinking if I end up with a hardtail it will be a custom steel frame (Walt, Curtlo, or Quiring). After riding both of my SS (KM and Buzz Bomb), I have came to the conclusion that I like the ride of steel over aluminum. Too bad I haven't won the lottery or maybe I could get this http://www.quiringcycles.net/80garand.html

Bigdrunk, I would change out the cranks, seat, post, stem and bars from the stock Paragon build. I have a spare stem, seat, and an Easton Carbon bar I would use on the build already on hand. The Paragon is speced with Avid Juicy 7s and not Hayes (Sugar I think has Hayes). I would keep the stock Bonty wheelset. I have a bombproof wheelset on my Karate Monkey now (DT Swiss FR hubs, Holm rims built by Mike C.), but another set would put me way over my budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts