Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's been so snowy today, I've been playing Dirt 2 (which is a killer game BTW) and it's been making me want a fun car like like the new Subaru WRX or STI. Does anybody drive one and have you taken it anywhere to have some 'fun'?

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,473 Posts
Just picked up a '10 WRX, put Michelin performance winter tires on it. Initial impressions are very good, performance on the new WRXs are near STI levels, but it's a little more refined, like a gt car, than the older cars (pre '08). As far as performace and driveability, it kills the older cars, especially the 2.0 L WRXs. A friend has an '04 STI, and it's way more of a racecar... super stiff suspension, requires constant steering adjustments to go in a straight line, but turns in and hold a corner like no other. It is also geared noticeably lower than my WRX. I'm sure it'll beat my car on a track, but it won't accelerate much faster and my car is way more comfortable to drive for longer periods of time. Also, the wrx handles dirt roads really well, where the sti is tuned more for pavement. The '09 and '10 WRX have a pretty big turbo that doesn't spool until mid rpms, but it has a ton of low end power so during normal driving the turbo never spools and you can get gas mileage in the mid to high 20's.

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,765 Posts
somebody on our team just picked up one of these

Tire Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting Car
2010 Nissan GT-R 0-60 in 3.3 seconds starts at $80,000

but that is a pretty hefty price tag!

What is the hp of the 2010 wrx

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Budget in a large insurance premium for that sucker.

The car is cheap...but...I guess it attracts dangerous drivers who think they are playing a video game.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I put over 100K miles on an '02 WRX. Quite frankly, it sucked in snow. It was better than a front driver, but marginally. I've heard the new ones are much better to drive in the snow, because they have better low end torque, but I'll bet they still have a major snow issue that my '02 had: even with stock tires and wheels: there wasn't enough wheelwell clearance. I chewed the crap out of my wheelwells because the wet snows would build up on the tires, pick up rocks, and hammer the wheelwells and wheel flares.

Subaru's reliability is overrated, also. They rank quite low in recent surveys, and mine had a bunch of issues. To be fair, it was a 1st year model, and they always have problems. All the problems temporarily were forgotten when you hit the powerband though. It was a fun ride.

My replacement is much better. A 2006 Mazdaspeed6. This is, hands down, the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned over 25 cars. It has AWD, power, handling, refinement, comfort, and style. Too bad they only imported a few thousand. I wish Mazda would reincarnate the Speed6 on the new platform.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,473 Posts
Before I got the '10 wrx I had a '06 Impreza wagon. It was like a snowmobile with Michelin studless winter tires on it. My WRX actually has better low end power than my '06 non-turbo, and with the rear limited slip it works well enough. I went through snow up past the rockers today with no problems. It really comes down to the tires though. A fwd car with good snow tires is better than an awd car with marginal tires. I can see how the lack of low end torque on the 2L wrxs would make things more difficult though. You should test drive a new one, I think you'd be surprised how different the new cars are, it's a night and day difference between the old 2L.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an 02' impreza 2.5 rs, non turbo. It has great snow tires on it, and is a tank in the snow. I have friends with the turbo models, and I think not having a turbo helps in the snow. The tires aren't as likely to spin from all the power. Not having a turbo definitely cuts down on the fun factor when the roads are good though ;-) As far as reliability, it has 150,000 on it and still runs like a champ. I'll get another 100,000 out of it no problem.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,473 Posts
SylentK said:
Bah, get an Audi.

;)

:D
So you can spend $75k on say, an RS4 and maybe edge out a WRX by a .1 sec 0-60 and .5 in the quarter mile? And use 2x as much gas, and stop from 60 10 feet longer than a WRX? The audi probably has a better stereo system though ;)

·
not actually bad :)
1,768 Posts
From what I've seen the past 2 days, Subaru drivers appear to be the new 4x4 drivers in these conditions.
Speeding past people, cutting in and out of lanes with no regard for us poor old mini van drivers.
:p

My friend THE GIANT bought an '09 STI and loves it so far.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,437 Posts
bad andy! said:
From what I've seen the past 2 days, Subaru drivers appear to be the new 4x4 drivers in these conditions.
Speeding past people, cutting in and out of lanes with no regard for us poor old mini van drivers.
Come on, man! Get yourself a set of these. Then *YOU* can be the minivan guy passing the Subarus. :D

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,437 Posts
brandonj1979 said:
<snip> As far as reliability, it has 150,000 on it and still runs like a champ. I'll get another 100,000 out of it no problem.
So have you or have you not replaced the head gaskets yet? ;)

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I can't recall the model of the Michy winter tire I have, but my little Civic passes Subis all day long. The AWD cars p0wnes me when the snow gets above axle deep. But when that happens, I don't drive, avoiding other ding-bats on the road.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,437 Posts
Pau11y said:
I can't recall the model of the Michy winter tire I have, but my little Civic passes Subis all day long. The AWD cars p0wnes me when the snow gets above axle deep. But when that happens, I don't drive, avoiding other ding-bats on the road.
Dude. With a Civic that's 4 inches! ;)

Snow tires DO rule. I wish I had a set on our Outback.

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
Pau11y said:
The AWD cars p0wnes me when the snow gets above axle deep. But when that happens, I don't drive, avoiding other ding-bats on the road.
I think everybody stayed off the roads yesterday, I enjoyed being one of the few ding bats. No traffic at all to and fro LoveLand, even rush hour was cool in Denver.

·
Registered
665 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
So have you or have you not replaced the head gaskets yet? ;)
I'm laughing but my wallet isn't... I got hit with new headgaskets on my '02 Impreza a couple of months after buying it last year. :rolleyes:
I've heard if you flush the coolant on schedule and always use the Subaru coolant conditioner with the new coolant you should be okay but I can't confirm this... A radiator in need of replacement and an inattentive driver :blush: did mine in.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,437 Posts
Surestick Malone said:
I'm laughing but my wallet isn't... I got hit with new headgaskets on my '02 Impreza a couple of months after buying it last year. :rolleyes:
I've heard if you flush the coolant on schedule and always use the Subaru coolant conditioner with the new coolant you should be okay but I can't confirm this... A radiator in need of replacement and an inattentive driver :blush: did mine in.
Don't feel bad - it likely would've gone no matter WHAT you did. We've had our '97 Outback since new and that's the only "major" repair that has been required. Conveniently enough a new clutch is REALLY cheap while they've got the motor out for the head gasket repair. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. With a Civic that's 4 inches! ;)
That's weird, I was passing Dodge 1500 Rams during last year's storm, 12" of cottage cheese on Hwy 6.
Outbacks...pfff!

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
davec113 said:
It really comes down to the tires though. A fwd car with good snow tires is better than an awd car with marginal tires.
Definitely the truth.
I currently own an '07 Impreza non-turbo (Dave, you saw it when you picked up your downtube protector), and I used to own a '92 Sentra SE-R. The Sentra (FWD with viscous LSD) & snow tires was definitely better in the snow than my Impreza on the stock "all-seaon" tires. Now I have two sets of wheels for the Impreza- one with summer tires and one with studded snow tires and it's awesome grip year-round.

We put all this time, effort, and cash into picking tires for our mountain bikes, remember having the correct tires for the situation on a car makes a big difference also.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts