Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an Ibis Ripley V2 and am thinking of replacing it with the new Rip or the SB 115. I never really considered Yeti because I was always between a small and medium but now I fall in a good spot for a medium. So if anyone has ridden both let me know your thoughts.

I ride in Michigan on singletrack with lot of roots and rocks and mostly up and down. No long climbs and huge downhills. More rolling terrain. Any info is appreciated.

Also I have no local dealers that keep demo's in stock so demoing a Yeti is not an option. I have ridden my buddy's new Ripley and like it alot.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
887 Posts
Personally, I would demo the 100 and 115 and see how they stack up to your current bike. Obviously, if you lean more towards XC, then 100, more trail then the 115.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I would demo the 100 and 115 and see how they stack up to your current bike. Obviously, if you lean more towards XC, then 100, more trail then the 115.

NO can do. There are no Yeti demo's in Michigan. I have ridden the new Ripley because my buddy has one. I really like and am going to ride it again soon. But on the Yeti side of things I don't know anyone that has one and no local dealers keep demo's in stock.

·
Registered
887 Posts
NO can do. There are no Yeti demo's in Michigan. I have ridden the new Ripley because my buddy has one. I really like and am going to ride it again soon. But on the Yeti side of things I don't know anyone that has one and no local dealers keep demo's in stock.
A few shops out near Grand Rapids / Kalamazoo have some on the floor (100s at least). But yeah, not much Yeti love in Michigan.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few shops out near Grand Rapids / Kalamazoo have some on the floor (100s at least). But yeah, not much Yeti love in Michigan.

Yeah I was in Kzoo for a hockey tourney last year and went to a dealer that had them on the floor. I find a parking lot ride just doesn't do it for. Would really like to get a demo on a trail. Sucks that in the Metro Detroit area our options are Spesh and Trek. 2 bike companies I have no desire to ride.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah I was in Kzoo for a hockey tourney last year and went to a dealer that had them on the floor. I find a parking lot ride just doesn't do it for. Would really like to get a demo on a trail. Sucks that in the Metro Detroit area our options are Spesh and Trek. 2 bike companies I have no desire to ride.
Yep...I hear ya! Are those places Mikes and the other place not allowing real demos?

Hard to make a real decision based on internet feedback.

Maybe wait for PB review on the 115 (should be soon). At least they will be comparing to a few other ‘down country’ bikes at the same time. Honestly, at these price points and the level of technology...it’s hard to go wrong these days.

Good or bad, No matter what you buy, you’re gonna love. Because you bought it...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep...I hear ya! Are those places Mikes and the other place not allowing real demos?

Hard to make a real decision based on internet feedback.

Maybe wait for PB review on the 115 (should be soon). At least they will be comparing to a few other ‘down country’ bikes at the same time. Honestly, at these price points and the level of technology...it’s hard to go wrong these days.

Good or bad, No matter what you buy, you’re gonna love. Because you bought it...

Yeah you are probably right. Funny though when I compare Geo numbers between my Ripley V2 and the SB 115 they are extremely similar. Almost identical except differing Seat tube angles with the SB 115 being 1 degree steeper. The new Ripley is completely different. And the new ARC is a really different bike. Maybe I should be looking into the Arc. So many chooses not enough money.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah you are probably right. Funny though when I compare Geo numbers between my Ripley V2 and the SB 115 they are extremely similar. Almost identical except differing Seat tube angles with the SB 115 being 1 degree steeper. The new Ripley is completely different. And the new ARC is a really different bike. Maybe I should be looking into the Arc. So many chooses not enough money.
Geo is definitely a good starting point, especially for sizing.

But, suspension design plays a big role on how the bike would ride. If your looking for plush, I would say you’re looking at the wrong bike.

The new ARC is trending towards aggressive, slack hardtail. But, it’s a hardtail. Which as you know, is fine for MI. Definitely looking to pick one up.

If you’re debating between the two, I’d wait for the 100 to be discontinued and pick one up on deep discount. It shares the same frame as the 115. In theory, you could swap out linkage and shock to go up in travel (TBC).

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geo is definitely a good starting point, especially for sizing.

But, suspension design plays a big role on how the bike would ride. If your looking for plush, I would say you’re looking at the wrong bike.

The new ARC is trending towards aggressive, slack hardtail. But, it’s a hardtail. Which as you know, is fine for MI. Definitely looking to pick one up.

If you’re debating between the two, I’d wait for the 100 to be discontinued and pick one up on deep discount. It shares the same frame as the 115. In theory, you could swap out linkage and shock to go up in travel (TBC).

That's a great call.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The only caveat...since the 100 and 115 use the same frame, we might not see a discounted 100. That’s assuming the rumors are true that the 100 will in fact be discontinued.

But, take a look on Competitive Cyclyst....SB5s frames going for close to $2k.

Does anyone in MI even sell IBIS?

I’ve seen SC, Yeti, Pivot, Kona....but not much else (other than Spez, Trek, Giant)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only caveat...since the 100 and 115 use the same frame, we might not see a discounted 100. That’s assuming the rumors are true that the 100 will in fact be discontinued.

But, take a look on Competitive Cyclyst....SB5s frames going for close to $2k.

Does anyone in MI even sell IBIS?

I’ve seen SC, Yeti, Pivot, Kona....but not much else (other than Spez, Trek, Giant)

Yes I can get an Ibis through Roll Models. They also sell Yeti, SC and Pivot. I will most likely stick with Ibis because I have been so happy with this Ripley but I have always wanted to own a Yeti. So what I most likely will do is get the Ripley V4 and then get an Arc for my Hardtail. My current hardtail is a 2010 Ventana El Padrino with a 1 x 12 drivetrain. It is a cool bike but with a 70.5 degree HA the geo is really dated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both. Here's my two cents. I've had the Ripley for almost a year. When I got it I was all about it... It's definitely a great bike and performs very well. About two months ago I bought the SB115 and instead of going with a FOX, I decided to go PIKE Ultimate, Other than that the bikes are identical configurations.

Obviously the new bike always wins when it comes to ride timme, so I spent several rides on the Yeti... FOr me, it's an amazing bike, It fit perfectly, once I went to a 35 mm stem from a 50 mm, It just flat out fit... So needles to say I was completely sold.. Great bike I would highly recommend it. Now back to the IBIS, after riding the YETI I started to see the faults.. I could not get the fit the same, the fork was flexy as hell, I didn't like the rise of the handlebars .. The list goes on, maybe nt picking a bit as well... So I set out on a quest to get them the same, first I ordered the same 35 mm rise bars... Took measurements from the YETI for seat to bars and seat to cranks.... And finally ordered a PIKE Ultimate 140 along with the same stem 0 degree 35mm clamp... I cut the fork so the stem height was the same as the YETI, the head tube on L vs L is different, put it together and BOOM.. I have them feeling the same way, the perform the same way, acceleration, climbing cornering are as equal as you can get.... So for me, these tow bikes are awesome. If I had to choose one, it would probably be the YETI, having said that, as long as the IBIS has the PIKE Ultimate 140 fork, it blows the stock FOX 130 out of the water hands down. Obviously everyone's riding fit and style are different, but, You cannot go wrong with either of these bikes. I am probably going to get another PIKE 140 for the YETI. One more note, I have been riding mediums for ever... It as recommended that I go Large on the IBIS, I am glad I did. What I discovered is that I have been taking mediums and configuring them to be Larges. Longer stems, setback seatpost... SO when I bought the YETI, I also got a Large... I am 5' 8" and they fit like a glove

·
MoShroom
16 Posts
I currently own an Ibis Ripley V2 and am thinking of replacing it with the new Rip or the SB 115. I never really considered Yeti because I was always between a small and medium but now I fall in a good spot for a medium. So if anyone has ridden both let me know your thoughts.

I ride in Michigan on singletrack with lot of roots and rocks and mostly up and down. No long climbs and huge downhills. More rolling terrain. Any info is appreciated.

Also I have no local dealers that keep demo's in stock so demoing a Yeti is not an option. I have ridden my buddy's new Ripley and like it alot.

Thanks,

Chuck
I spent a week on the SB115 and while I can’t compare it to the V4, I own a V3 Ripley. To me the SB115 suspension is a touch more efficient and a touch less capable in rocky terrain than the V3, just a touch tho they are really close. The SB115 is a longer bike than the V3 when comparing equal sizes, but definitely shorter than the V4. The SB115 is actually very similar to the V3, they are both super efficient climbers, very nimble and have the smooth light hover bike quality where you can pedal through junk and not lose traction. The SB115 is a ripper tho, I am currently selling my Ripley to build up an SB115 because it suits my needs a little bit better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts