Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a monocog or similar for commuting. i am also thinking of doing some light touring in wisconsin this summer. just wondering if anyone does this or should i be looking at a d440. thanks

·
Monkey Junkie
593 Posts
BigE610 said:
I am thinking of getting a monocog or similar for commuting. i am also thinking of doing some light touring in wisconsin this summer. just wondering if anyone does this or should i be looking at a d440. thanks
If commuting and possibly touring is the only type of riding that you will use it for, then I would get a touring bike. There are plenty of SS commuter/touring/cross rigs out there. If you plan on taking it on some trails too, plenty of them could handle it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeh i really like the monocog. i dont want to get a commuter bike because i would like to have a back up mountain bike for winter or what not. Im just curious how many people actually commute on a ss. Should I own at least 1 geared bike? I just sold my geared hardtail to pay for my gf rig so.... i dont know im venturing into the unkown here. thanks for the help.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
^^^^ Good thread!

I use my Misfit for winter commuting and summer riding, and my Wabi Lightning for summer commuting and some road rides. For light touring, I would consider SS as long as I didn't have to drag everything with me - water, shorts, shoes and a shirt, maybe 50-100 km a day, with time off for beer. :)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I'm looking into making some modifications to my Monocog Flight for commute duty. I sold off my rain road bike last year and find myself wanting to commute in the winter in wet conditions. But I just can't get myself to ride the nice road bike in these conditions.

So I've got some XC tires/tubes.

Need to find a good road gear. Mostly flat with one big-O hill to go from the floor of the valley to the plateau. I'm sure I can make it on 32/20 gearing that I have now. But will spin out on the flats big time. So might look into the smallest cog that will fit with the same chain. 16t?

·
3,707 Posts
The Monocog could be a good commuter and mountain bike, but IMO, get a bike for each specific duty. It's like those people that try to pick out a car that goes off-road, is practical and handles well enough to hit the tracks. Then they end up with something like a Subaru Baja that is mediocre at everything and they get bored of it quite fast.

I had about 5 bikes, but currently only have two in my stable. Surly Steamroller for road duties and my Monocog. I'd like to pick up a CrossCheck or Masi for cyclocross, though.

I will say if I HAD to get rid of one bike, it would be the Monocog (would be close though). I just love the Steamroller and currently, it has 38's on there and I take it on singletracks. Lots of fun. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a commuter road bike first, then a proper mountain bike. You can pick up a SS commuter for quite cheap on craigslist, and people have been picking up Monocogs for under $250.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.