Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
jtc1 said:
I hear the first batch was out the door a few weeks ago. I'm waiting for mine. For those with some time on the Nitrous - what is your initial feedback???
I've had mine for a couple of weeks but still waiting for my fork, it's killing me!!!

My buddy Brian has built his and says it's the shiz, nothing compares, light, stiff, responsive,...

I expect he'll reply soon...

MTB-)

·
Registered
83 Posts
This thing is FAST. I've had it for about a month after racing a Racer-X a couple of years and WOW, what a difference!

It pedals with absolutely NO bob (yeah, I know you've heard this before). There's no squatting when you climb like with the Racer-X. It just goes, absorbing bumps as you ascend. I can't believe the climbing difference. There's something to that ICT business.

Did someone mention light? 4.54 pounds out of the box. Built up to 22.25 pounds with a Fox fork, all XTR and Stan's wheels with Pythons. With a FOX FORK!

Plenty stiff for me, I weigh 142, I don't feel any flex.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which Fork?

MTB-] said:
I've had mine for a couple of weeks but still waiting for my fork, it's killing me!!!

My buddy Brian has built his and says it's the shiz, nothing compares, light, stiff, responsive,...

I expect he'll reply soon...

MTB-)
What fork are you building your Nitrous with? I have a sid WC from my old bike I was planning to put on the Nitrous.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The name says it all

What a bike, I have had it built for a couple of weeks 23.5 lbs. SRAM XO, FOX RLT 80, Easton cock pit, CK wheels. Just put it through its first race, 18hrs Fruita duo, about 5 hard hrs., the name says it all, very fast, stiff no flex !!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nitrous up and running

I have a Turner Nitrous, built it up 2 weeks ago and it is very light and very fast. Mine weighs 22.5lb without pedals. I have it setup quite firm so you feel some bigger bumps but it is just so quick over the ground and under acceleration it makes me feel fitter :)

I have not noticed any of the rear end flex which affected some of the early prototypes.

Not raced it yet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ahhh, fork was delivered today. I guess I'm responsible for the rain in Dallas...

Build weighs 22.04 with Stan's goop, bottle cage, polar speed sensor and bar mount, stay protector... Soon to have some Stan's rotors to go sub-22! Final build should be ~21.5.

I've ridden it around the house (crumby rain!) about 50 times, up the porch, down the stairs... It feels surprisingly natural. It's first race will be in 10 days...

Ride report after Saturday...

MTB-)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ride report....

MTB-] said:
Ahhh, fork was delivered today. I guess I'm responsible for the rain in Dallas...

Build weighs 22.04 with Stan's goop, bottle cage, polar speed sensor and bar mount, stay protector... Soon to have some Stan's rotors to go sub-22! Final build should be ~21.5.

I've ridden it around the house (crumby rain!) about 50 times, up the porch, down the stairs... It feels surprisingly natural. It's first race will be in 10 days...

Ride report after Saturday...

MTB-)
Looking forward to hearing your impression. The waiting for my frame is tough - I think I am about a month overdue now. What size frame did you build up to get the sub 22.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh yeah!

This thing is sweet, my first lap today was at a warm-up pace and I was a little concerned with my choice of tires so I let a little air out for the second lap. Second lap was close to race pace so that says a lot, the bike felt perfectly natural and went where I wanted it to such that I was able to ride it at race pace my first time on the bike!

The trail was super loose and sketchy with off camber, gravelly corners. Three climbs with technical sections, some smaller rock gardens, and some technical, rocky, ledgy dips.

I was amazed with the rear suspension, it soaks up everything! No bob, no bounce, no spring, just absorbs obstacles. This is a tight, full on race machine!

MTB-)

·
Registered
157 Posts
jtc1 said:
Looking forward to hearing your impression. The waiting for my frame is tough - I think I am about a month overdue now. What size frame did you build up to get the sub 22.
Mine is a medium, since I had to order the parts anywas and was waiting for the frame, I built it with some of the ExtraLite stuff. I think I like it!

MTB-)

·
Registered
284 Posts
05 Nitrous

Have some time in on the 05 Nitrous now and after having 7 months on the proto the production changes to the rear end are all a plus. Braking and cornering are much improved w/the largers stays. I still feel this bike climbs better then anything I've ridden(no I havn't ridden everything)! Weighs 23.65 lbs. w/avid mech.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
velo bum said:
Have some time in on the 05 Nitrous now and after having 7 months on the proto the production changes to the rear end are all a plus. Braking and cornering are much improved w/the largers stays. I still feel this bike climbs better then anything I've ridden(no I havn't ridden everything)! Weighs 23.65 lbs. w/avid mech.
Hey, what's wrong with this picture?
Do you have any brakes and shifters on the left side of the bar?

MTB-)

·
Registered
284 Posts
MTB-] said:
Hey, what's wrong with this picture?
Do you have any brakes and shifters on the left side of the bar?

MTB-)
Everything is on the right side of the bike do to the fact that I only have a thumb on my left hand. I use XTR levers w/the left lever up side down running the rear brake. I drilled out the perch bolt on the lower lever, cut the perch off of a rear XTR shifter, ran a bolt through the lever and into the original threads on the shifter. with some star type lock washer in between the two it holds just fine. the front shifter was easy, just turned a grip shift front shifter over and put it on the right side. Works good for me and maybe someone doing some bicycle polo!

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
velo bum said:
Everything is on the right side of the bike do to the fact that I only have a thumb on my left hand. I use XTR levers w/the left lever up side down running the rear brake. I drilled out the perch bolt on the lower lever, cut the perch off of a rear XTR shifter, ran a bolt through the lever and into the original threads on the shifter. with some star type lock washer in between the two it holds just fine. the front shifter was easy, just turned a grip shift front shifter over and put it on the right side. Works good for me and maybe someone doing some bicycle polo!
Incredible, Ingenious! After a ride, you must have the most tired right hand in the world!

MTB-)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ist Race Production Nitrous

This bike is phenomenal! I never get over how the pedals carry over on these things. The race was mostly fire road and I still felt like the bike was a plus to have. At least if no one else has one at the line I can feel like I have an equipment advantage. I have mentioned before here already, but it is worth saying again, the production changes to the rear made a big differance in braking and handling! The best I have ever raced. To bad you didn't make it several years ago David :)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Slayed

Just so you guys know, the Bum absolutely slayed the expert field on Sunday, not just the dudes in his class, but a couple classes in either direction age wise. He even started in the back with the single speed guys so that his shop jersey would be read by all for shamefull marketing purposes as he rolled through the field. The definition of slayed is anything over 5 minutes in class.

Way to go Glenn.

DT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.