Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was there last weekend. It had just rained, so the trails were very wet. However, it is very rideable when it is wet, and it dries out very quickly. Mud should not be an issue. As Mike often says, just look at the puddle in the parking lot as the rain gauge for the trails (it was huge when I went in).

Bugs were another story - I got a great workout since very time I stopped I was completely swarmed. The mosquitoes were horrible.

·
Live Free or Ride!
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went on Saturday afternoon. Great ride, lots of standing water as it had rained pretty good in the morning. Great ride, great trails, lots of critters. I counted 36 mosquito bites on just one leg. Buckwallow is great as always.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Just was there earlier this morning. It is always a pleasure to catch up with Mike.

Rained like CRAZY last night, was considering not riding but we had heard it has been relatively wet there all season and was mostly in puddles in low lying parts of the trails. It dried up in some parts but was still pretty mucky...muckwallow perhaps...

Great riding as always, what a blast. Every time I get home from riding Buckwallow I want to go back! Soon!

·
Is it winter yet?
255 Posts
Went today. Re-upped my annual pass and spoke to some people who had been there Sunday, and they report being covered in mud on that day. Today (Canada Day), just a few puddles and muddy spots, but nothing you can't avoid. Did my typical few singletracks and then a few laps of Missing Link before heading home. Had a blast.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Buckwallow

Was there on Sunday afternoon. According to Mike, it rained a ton on Saturday. Also rained for about 45min during our ride on Sunday afternoon. Lots of deep puddles on single track and roots and rocks were slick as expected. As indicated by someone above, the bugs were vicious. The ride was messy and great fun. The bike wash station was busy. - Oh, almost forgot - "ran into" a bear on Burnt Pine trail.

Went to Hardwood Hills on Monday and Tuesday - trails were in great condition as usual - no bugs and no puddles. The only thing I don't really like about HH is that they close way too early.

·
Registered
157 Posts
tammie said:
Hi there, does anyone have some pics of buckwallow they could post would like to see them I have never been want to get up there sometime soon. Thanx
Here are a few from the ride nspace and I did last year on the second last weekend it was open. Most of these pics are from the more technical trails (4 and 5 hoof ratings), which comprise roughly 30% of the trails there. The rest of the riding there is a good mix of single and double track sections with novice and intermediate rated trails (1,2, and 3 hoof ratings).

Just replace the fallen leaves with copious amounts of mud, and you'll have a good idea what the riding was like last weekend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
buckwallow

Hey thanx ryanstrive, pics are great i love that kinda of technical stuff can't wait to get up there!! Reminds me of the riding I did in Vermont a couple weeks ago.....sweet

·
Is it winter yet?
255 Posts
poisonfrog said:
yes a few times and planning for this weekend too. anyone else up that way this weekend?
I'll be there at least once Saturday - gonna ride the doubletrack with my kid literally in tow, and may pop back for some singletrack in the afternoon, maybe with my brother-in-law. Might come back Sunday morning. I won't be back in the area for a couple of weeks, and I have to make my seasons pass count.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it's anything like last week, you'll definitely need the bug spray. Either that or don't stop riding until you get back to the car.

·
Is it winter yet?
255 Posts
h.eye said:
If it's anything like last week, you'll definitely need the bug spray. Either that or don't stop riding until you get back to the car.
I was there on Tuesday. I got most of my bites while talking to Mike. Something was biting my ankles, or maybe it was all in my head. I was scared to stop anywhere. It's a great motivational tool. Tony Robbins has nothing on a combination of black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, and some stable bug that nips your ankles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.