Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Your killing my Strava
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really do want to be climbing any of the popular DH trails as riders are flying down, and I dont want to shuttle all day. Gets expensive. Are there any more XC type trails around there? Never been and headed up there next weekend. Thanks

·
singletrack bound
2,954 Posts
It's been a few years but check out Chimney Rock/Halls ranch Fiddle Creek, out of Ram's Horn camp ground. Hall's Ranch will keep you off the "divides"/"downhill" as will the N. Yuba trail.

·
Registered
174 Posts
trail

N. Yuba = lots of pain, but definitely XC. 17 or so miles one way depending where you start.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i usually ride the pavement from downieville to sierra city and then do the classic XC loop. bring your dirt bike if you can, most (maybe all?) of the trails are open to ohv.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I really do want to be climbing any of the popular DH trails as riders are flying down, and I dont want to shuttle all day. Gets expensive. Are there any more XC type trails around there? Never been and headed up there next weekend. Thanks
Take the first shuttle of the day up then ride over to Mt Elwell, ride around a bit and then follow one of the shuttle routes back down. Get a good map before doing this and carry lots of water.

·
Registered
368 Posts
From Dville, west on North Yuba trail to Goodyears Bar, west on Fiddle Creek Ridge (a little hiking), them back to Dville on the full N Yuba. The bike shop will have maps.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Another vote for the North Yuba and the extension if you want a really long ride. It's 16 miles one way from Downieville to Rocky Rest campground. From Rocky Rest to Goodyears Bar it's mostly rolling singletrack along the river and it's a beautiful trail, about 16 miles out and back. From Goodyears Bar to Downieville is quite a bit more challenging ride, but after a big climb up the mountain there is some sweet downhill into town.

You can also drive up to Second Divide and park, then ride up that and do an out-and-back on part of Big Boulder, then come down Third Divide. At the bottom of third, just take the road back to your car. You'll still hit some downhill traffic, but it wont be as fast as you go up on second.

D

·
0 Posts
North Yuba should keep you busy. The XC course is another...if you've never been, buy a map and start exploring! Mills Peak is a good one but, I think it still has snow. Chimney Rock will most likely have snow too.

Have fun

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Camp at Gold Lake, then use it as your home base to launch a bunch of XC rides, most of which head north-ish towards Graeagle. You can even ride over to Packer Saddle if you feel like trading the cabernet for Mountain Dew and Red Bull.

·
Bike Geek
735 Posts
Sandusky

Did you say Sandusky? That is a four letter word. If there is a trail with that name, I hope they rename it after the evil actions that man did.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Camp at Gold Lake, then use it as your home base to launch a bunch of XC rides, most of which head north-ish towards Graeagle. You can even ride over to Packer Saddle if you feel like trading the cabernet for Mountain Dew and Red Bull.
Yes!!! If you want epic loops, Gold Lakes is a great starting point. Lots of options to ride jeep roads and single track in the Lakes Basin/ graeagle area. The downieville downhill is not super gnal, more like DH for XC riders.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
North Yuba should keep you busy. The XC course is another...if you've never been, buy a map and start exploring! Mills Peak is a good one but, I think it still has snow. Chimney Rock will most likely have snow too.

Have fun
Mills peak is good to go, I rode it on the 9th & 10th of this month. It was free of snow.

Chimney Rock is a ride I would not set out on this early in the season w/o local feedback first.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes!!! If you want epic loops, Gold Lakes is a great starting point. Lots of options to ride jeep roads and single track in the Lakes Basin/ graeagle area. The downieville downhill is not super gnal, more like DH for XC riders.
Yup, I don't think you need a dh bike for even the "dh" trail at DV
It likely has been done on CX bike by experts and non experts alike without breaking the wheels/frame/etc

·
Registered
648 Posts
Climb Elwell to Round Lake Trail up and over to the Oakland Pond Trail (old PCT, ok for bikes) over to Mt. Elwell, down Elwell onto Smith Lakes Trail or Graeagle Creek Trail with short section of Gold Lakes Hwy. back to Lower Mills Peak Trail and to your car. It is approx 35 miles and worth it. Before you go, stop at Graeagle store and pick up one of the new maps from the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship. It will cover all the areas rides.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Nice advice...never been there...go do mt elwell..... really?
I have done Mt Elwell, once. The view from the top is awesome. The downhill is ok, but for certain it is not in my top ten. My guess on all the rave about the ride is that after the hike a bike slog & then the scrambling with a bike to get to the top, folks tend to wax ecstatic about the ride to make it all seem worthwhile. For sure worth doing once to check it off one's bucket list.

The Mills Peak trail is a lot more fun.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes, the problem for Mills Peak Trail is that it is a great way to access all the trails within Lakes Basin, but it is such a blast to ride down!

The descent off of Elwell is not the best, but more of an adventure and old school type trail. If you look at the top of Elwell at 7,800' and Graeagle at 4,500' that is a good descent. Overall, it is more a pure descent than the overbilling of the Downieville rides. The beauty is that there are many other options once at Smith Lake. The SBTS just started working on the Mud Lake Trail which will be a sweet alternative to the hike a bike up Elwell and will take you back to Silver Lake and others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts