Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a Honzo and need to grab a seatpost. I'm considering getting a dropper post, but the other half of me says that is silly because while I do love going fast downhill, I'll never be getting all crazy-stupid on anything. I do run a lot of post out of the frame, but never really have trouble getting behind the seat on the steeps. Though I suppose it would be nice to have, I'm thinking it might be unneeded weight and/or overkill. Also don't want to look like a goober out there faking-the-funk on the trail if I'm more XC than "All Mountain".

What say you!?

Build so far on my Honzo is Marzocchi 120mm tapered fork, XT cranks, XT hydros, King/Flow/Arch wheels, King headset, Haven carbon bars, Arione seat.

Thanks dudes!

·
wrench
443 Posts
Adam Craig (Rabobank) and Carl Decker (Giant) used droppers at the Missoula National XC race. They wanted for the big drop in the course. Only time I have seen them used in a National or WC level race.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Do it

I'm building up a Honzo and need to grab a seatpost. I'm considering getting a dropper post, but the other half of me says that is silly because while I do love going fast downhill, I'll never be getting all crazy-stupid on anything. I do run a lot of post out of the frame, but never really have trouble getting behind the seat on the steeps. Though I suppose it would be nice to have, I'm thinking it might be unneeded weight and/or overkill. Also don't want to look like a goober out there faking-the-funk on the trail if I'm more XC than "All Mountain".

What say you!?

Build so far on my Honzo is Marzocchi 120mm tapered fork, XT cranks, XT hydros, King/Flow/Arch wheels, King headset, Haven carbon bars, Arione seat.

Thanks dudes!
You can "own" at setup....yeah you are right they are targeted towards riders getting into the really nasty stuff, but if you are riding technical XC stuff w/ drops don't think it could do anything but help those situations. Bet you start a little mini-drop post w/ your riding crew
Start really hurting their feelings on the technical stuff, they will follow suit.

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
I don't know what I'd call my riding style, butI love mine on my FS bike. Gives me a bit of confidence in technical spots, or on new-to-me-trails. I saw a bunch of them on bikes at BCBR this summer as well. If you want one, get one... For me, it's well worth the extra weight, and I don't care I'd other riders think my skills are better (or worse) than they actually are.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I've been running a gravity dropper on mine for the past four years and have converted many friends to using them as well. It's a great way to be able to still ride steep trails although I just like my seat out of the way on downhills

·
nOOb
689 Posts
I had one for awhile. I could ride anything with the seat raised as well as I could with it out of the way. When the going gets that rough or steep on an xc bike you might be exceeding what an xc bike can tackle anyway imho. I took mine off, but I could see the need for more extreme riding than a typical xc rider encounters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have always just bottomed out my seat before my XC rides, I don't like to sit and pedal anyways so no big loss for me. Been riding that way for 12 years, guess it carried over from BMX bikes and always standing up. I say go for the dropper, if I had the coin I might buy one, but I doubt I would ever use it up anyways.

·
Law abiding citizen
510 Posts
I have always just bottomed out my seat before my XC rides, I don't like to sit and pedal anyways so no big loss for me. Been riding that way for 12 years, guess it carried over from BMX bikes and always standing up. I say go for the dropper, if I had the coin I might buy one, but I doubt I would ever use it up anyways.
You stand and pedal the whole time? You must have great endurance!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.