Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Im running a trek 8000 ht with a manitou black elite 100mm. Just out of curiosity, how many others run 100 mm?

I love the extra travel...really helps out in the rocky/rooty stuff!

cheers

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
I ride an 8000 and I just switched my for to 100mm config frm 80. I have also added a ec90 riser so it feels a bit high now. I am going to swap the spacers around to drop the stem.

It feels ok, but the steering feels a little slow now (slacker head angle).

I haven't used more than 80mm yet either. Onlt been on one ride though since fixing it saturday.

Edit - Sorry just re read the title.....I don't race.

Stu

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool...

Yea.. I had my first race since i picked up my new fork and i'm interested to hear what others experiences were.
I ran a skareb before and decided it'd be interesting to try out some extra travel.

In conclusion, i lost some time in the quick sprints, but made up killer time in anything technical. The loss of a degree or two on the head tube was pretty noticeable on the climbs. The black elite has a lock out and adjustable compression damping so i think im going to toy around with those for awhile to see if i can gain a bit more on the sprints. But other than that, its exactly what i expected would happen if i picked up another inch of travel.

anyone else?

Cheers

·
Registered
832 Posts
I run a 105mm Marzocchi MX Pro on my Rocky Mountain hardtail. Thank god for the ETA on the climbs and sprints, otherwise the fork is a bob kind. I love the extra travel on the downhills though.

For a race only bike I think I'd prefer an 80, but for a do-it-all bike 100 is perfect.

·
one less car
122 Posts
trekracer8000 said:
Hey all,

Im running a trek 8000 ht with a manitou black elite 100mm. Just out of curiosity, how many others run 100 mm?

I love the extra travel...really helps out in the rocky/rooty stuff!

cheers
It's personal preference... since the hardtail is more for the "smoother" courses, it never occurred to me to have 100mm of travel on the front... i run 100mm in the front on my FS race bike, but only 80mm (closer to 65mm) on the hardtail... but if the hardtail was to become my only race bike, i might think about going with 100mm - a stable 100mm (Fox Terralogic) or one with lock-out.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
tried my Lefty on my CAAD4 HT for a few races and it did'nt feel right. Refitted the Headshok FAtty Super (DL70) and it's more than enough for XC racing. Nice and light too :)
80mm is enough for a XC race course

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.