Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new bike to replace my Epic 26". I'd prefer a bike under 24 lbs. And I'm not sure I want to give up FS for a 29er HT. I also don't want to spend $6,000 on a bike either.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It's never going to happen. How about a Siren? They make a nice soft tail 29er that could be built for a reasonable price. Besides, have you checked out the crazy prices on Scalpels? They can get pretty pricy.

·
likes to ride bikes
893 Posts
I wouldn't say it'll never happen, but perhaps it's true that some other company will do it first. Too bad for Cannondale, they could have probably gotten two more model years out of me by now.

The Siren Song is not on the same level as a Scalpel, but softtails are a great idea. I ride a Dos Niner (currently discontinued, promised to be brought back better by Salsa)

The Funk La Ruta is the closest thing currently available. $3500 for a titanium sofftail frame with 4" of travel, 4.2 lbs.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I don't think you will find a sub 24lb FS 29er for under $6k unless you buy a Santa Cruz Tallboy frame and build it up. Mine is 23.6lb w/o pedals or cages/computer, and I built it up for $4700. It can be done, but don't expect to walk into a LBS and expect some magic. I used a lot of price matching/discounts, ebay, and take-offs to get to that price.

I would say, good luck finding a Spec Epic 29er Carbon frameset till fall, they are all sold up, by then C'dale may release a Scalpel type 29er..maybe not. The Tallboy or the Salsa Spearfish is the only answer to shave that extra heft to meet your weight/price point. Otherwise, start looking for a hardtail..or plan on going over budget.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,095 Posts
speedier racer said:
Lenzsport Leviathan can be built up pretty light, and I can assure you it will be a lot more stiff than a Scapel and it will handle technical singletrack better. I have mine at 24.3 lbs with a racey build and pretty decent sized tires. I lost a pound on it when I race non technical races just because of a tire change.
You must be high.

Unless it has a Lefty, the front end won't compare, and any design with pivots will automatically lose some frame stiffness.

And a Scalpel 29er would weigh significantly less than your bike. Probably 2lbs+ from frame/fork/BB/crank alone.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
TunicaTrails said:
The Funk La Ruta is the closest thing currently available. $3500 for a titanium sofftail frame with 4" of travel, 4.2 lbs.
You can also check out Generic Cycles. He sells the same basic design as the Funk La Ruta but for about $2800. He's in the final stages of building mine right now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You stated you want a bike under 24lbs and I told you it can be done. The frame of the Lev will be 10 times stiffer than a c-dale. The fork is your choice onnon c-dale bikes. The lefty might steer a bit better, but some of the higher end forks are pretty sweet and track really well. I ride and race in Colorado and am yet to see a Scalpel out here. I lived back east and saw them all the time. Not a bike you would want here. Sorry for trying to help.

·
likes to ride bikes
893 Posts
Wow, that's really nice work that they do, thanks for the tip:
http://www.genericcycles.com/st.htm

Also glad to see that another poster in this thread understands what a "29er Scalpel" is and isn't.

Vecsus said:
You can also check out Generic Cycles. He sells the same basic design as the Funk La Ruta but for about $2800. He's in the final stages of building mine right now.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
i too am waiting for cannondale to get off their butts and come out with th escaple 29er or something like it.

carbon lefty, bb30 cranks and carbon squishy frame will bring my race weight down to wear i want it. in the 21-20lbs area.

already have a 24lb. jet9. great endurance bike, but with a frame weight of 6.5lb, i would like to go lower.

so what is the weight of the lenz frame?

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
no water bottle cage? is a 4" frame considered a dh bike? i don't carry a camel back to race with. even my medium jet9 with its compact front triangle has one cage on the seat tube(fits a 24 oz. bottle) and one under the down tube.

no cage would be a deal breaker for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.