Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Lubbock, Texas from Augsuta, Ga. and need some advice adjusting to the terrain.

In Augusta, the trails were tight, wooded and full of roots. The dirt was hard packed, and often got muddy. They were also hilly. The only rocks I ever encountered were solidly embedded in the dirt. I'm an experienced rider, but no expert, and I never had a problem speeding around curves, boucing down steep hills or climbing back up the other side.

But in Lubbock, I feel like a Noob.

In Lubbock, the trails are more open, there are few trees and sporadic cacti keeping you from wanting to fall over. But the biggest difference is the rocks, loose rocks, almost like gravel, every where.

I can't get around turns without practically stopping. My back wheel swings way out, and I often have to throw a foot out to keep from sliding onto my side - and these are not that sharp of turns.

And I can hardly get up hill. My back tire will start spinning on the loose rocks.

But going down hill is the worst. It is practically impossible to pick a line. If my back tire hits something, it throws me off. I also can't brake well going down hill because I start sliding.

Going up hill, my back tire will just start spinning in the gravel and rock.

I'm sure the more I ride these new conditions, the better I will get, but any advice you can give me, I would appreciate.

·
Registered
260 Posts
welcome to good ole west texas!!! I grew up in the Abilene/Lubbock area. I currently reside in the FL panhandle and havent had a chance to ride in TX much when I visit my parents but the only help I can offer is to just keep on riding as much as possible. As you ride, you will be able to figure out what works the best in those conditions. Hopefully I will make it back there later this summer. BTW be sure to post this in the Texas section in this forum also. You may get more replys there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What kind of tires are you using? I had the same problem. To me traction is everything and If I loose traction I want it to at least be predictable.

In Abilene there are tons of rocks and loose gravel. I switched to a 2.5 WTB Weirwolf and traction improved tremendously. Run a lower tire pressure too. If your back tire is giving you trouble get your weight over the front more. Also I've found that having a faster, softer rear shock setting with less rebound damping (If you have a FSR) helps in traction especially around bumpy gravel turns and fast rocky downhills (unless your rear is kicking when you hit something in which case you need more rebound).

If you run tubes make sure you slime your tires to prevent flats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.