Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
11,819 Posts
Riser bars, different rise stem, spacers on fork steer, Mary bars...the options are multitudinous.

Start with spacers unless you are maxed out already, then try a riser bar unless you are already riding with one, then a different rise stem (may need to search that one out).

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
jack.s said:
An inch or two.
According to my local bike shop, there isn't a way to do this.
Oh there's a way to get an inch or two.:thumbsup:

Salsa makes a 130 degree rise Moto Ace S.U.L. stem in lengths of 80, 90, 105, 120, 135mm lengths. Depending on the length of stem, that kind of rise will easily give you an extra inch or two.:D :D I've got two of the Moto Ace stems for my Tandems which got 'em up to fit my riding position.

Another option is a DH riser bar which typically can be found with a larger rise (32mm+) than found in a XC riser bar (10 - 20mm). That will give you an inch and a quarter over a flat bar with no rise.

Another option, which is kind of neat, is the Syntace System. It's a bar/stem/clamps combination that will let you dial in a variety of positions. This is probably the most expensive option, but will give you what you need.

Your local bike shop is probably busy doing what they do in the shop. An internet junkie who has been through the process of trying to get my bars up due to the short head tubes on 29"ers and tandems is easier qualified to point you in the right direction.

The final and most expensive option is to get a new fork and cut your steerer tube longer, use more spacers and dial in your fit. You could then sell the fork you took off the Paragon, but my guess is this option would cost the most of the four. Look through the picture thread on the 29"er board and see all the bikes with oodles of spacers, riser bars, long steerer tubes, high rise stems and what not to address this.

I saw a Sugar 293 like I ride this past Sunday at a WORS race and commented to the guy that he did a good job of not cutting too much off of his steerer tube when he installed his new fork. He had about 4 inches of spacers on the notoriously short Fisher head tube to get the bars up on an XL frame to fit his height. I cut mine a bit too short back in the day when I "thought" the head tube on my XL frame was correct. So I have had to counter that improper cut and short head tube with spacers, bars and stem to dial in the fit.

Not to worry, you're not the only 29"er rider who needs help getting it up. :-0

BB

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
only way w/out spending money:

Move the spacers from above the stem, to under the stem. You can go as much as a few mm of no steerer clamp contact on the top of the stem...more than that, you're playin' with fire...basically you can go w/out just enough for the HS cap to pull the stem down on the steerer w/out hitting the steerer...

If this sounds foreign, or I'm not making sense, that would mean: A) i'm not making sense, or B) this is dangerous for you to do yourself, consult a professional - other than the shop that told you it's not possible

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great info guys.
I have the seat way higher than the bars and my neck complains after an about an hour of riding. I use to had this issue with sport bikes (motorcycles) and bar risers helped a lot so why not try it on mountain bike.
My bike shop was telling me that the bar risers won't fit paragon, so I would like to prove them wrong.
Any good internet shop recomendation that sell bar risers for 07' paragon?

·
succinct
217 Posts
I would not recommend that riser stem because of the way it sticks up. It would puncture a lung if you landed on it. I bought one before I got the salsa stem.

·
Registered
360 Posts
jack.s said:
My bike shop was telling me that the bar risers won't fit paragon, so I would like to prove them wrong.
That's not right. It's got nothing to do with your bike frame.

Just be aware of the stem's clamp diameter size (sorry if you already knew this). Freeride or downhill riser bars often come in a O/S 31.8 clamp size, whereas XC flat or riser bars come in 25.4.

So you may need to change both to get your desired fit. I.e. if you want a 2 inch rise downhill bar, it may need a 31.8 mm clamp stem. I'm not sure what comes stock on the Paragon though (I'm assuming 25.4, since it's an XC-oriented bike).

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
SlipperyPete said:
That's not right. It's got nothing to do with your bike frame.

Just be aware of the stem's clamp diameter size (sorry if you already knew this). Freeride or downhill riser bars often come in a O/S 31.8 clamp size, whereas XC flat or riser bars come in 25.4.

So you may need to change both to get your desired fit. I.e. if you want a 2 inch rise downhill bar, it may need a 31.8 mm clamp stem. I'm not sure what comes stock on the Paragon though (I'm assuming 25.4, since it's an XC-oriented bike).
Actually, just about every new bike is 31.8 now, Paragon included.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.