Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
41,573 Posts
whysoserious said:
Is there anyway to protect your frame in the event of a crash? My stumpjumper has a velcro sleeve that covers part of the frame by the chain (see pic). Do any companies sell a cover for the rest of the frame?
Well the Velcro sleeve you are talking about is called a Chain Guard which is a must have to protect against chain slap. Although there is no way to competely protect the rest of the frame there is a way to protect certain areas of the frame from scratches. The best thing to use is a clear tape sold from 3M. Make sure to get the thickest milliliter as possible.
http://www.biketape.co.uk/Welcome.html

·
41,573 Posts
whysoserious said:
I plan on riding it on trails like I've been doing since I got the bike. I just want to protect my bike incase I want to sell it.
So we have concluded that you plan on riding it and not shipping it correct? ;)
Check the link I provided and tape it up and be protected from scratches. Or Bubble Wrap it and be more protected but look like a dork, your choice. Or get some Hydro Turf that they use in the Jet Ski world and be more protected but still look like a dork.

http://hydroturf.com/pwc_matcolors.php
OR
Most advised http://www.biketape.co.uk/Welcome.html
OR
http://www.starboxes.com/searchresu...4&placement=&gclid=CI3HoMqbr5UCFQhJagod0UMojw

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Really dude, man up! A mountain bike isn't even broken in until you get at least one good scratch. Don't worry about selling it. If it gets proper use, it should be in little shape to sell until you are done with it. Anyway, there are plenty of nice bikes collecting dust in garages that are bound to be in better shape then yours.

·
41,573 Posts
Ken in KC said:
Get on your bike and ride it.
No cover the whole thing in inner tube and then ride it.;) Here comes Mr. Dork inner tube boy. At least if he gets a flat he'll be prepared.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
There's a guy at my work who bought an '08 Mustang V8 and occasionally drives it to work on nice Fridays. Mostly, he just drives an old truck and leaves the Mustang in his garage. Why? Because he doesn't want to hurt the resale value.

...OP, you're as bad as he is. Did you buy it to ride or to sell? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Forget tapes and whatever. Just do what I had the misfortune to do: use various portions of your body as "insulators" between your bike and whatever is on the ground. My bikes look fine, but I am a disaster area. Couldn't even ride for the entire month of July.

On second thought, don't do what I did. Let the bike take whatever knocks it gets.

·
41,573 Posts
RickC5 said:
Forget tapes and whatever. Just do what I had the misfortune to do: use various portions of your body as "insulators" between your bike and whatever is on the ground. My bikes look fine, but I am a disaster area. Couldn't even ride for the entire month of July.

On second thought, don't do what I did. Let the bike take whatever knocks it gets.
Ha-ha been there done that. I remember the first 4K bike I bought. The first 100 miles it received my body took the brunt of all the falls. Its funny how in the back of your mind your like "oh S*** don't damage the bike" as you are crashing through the rocks throwing your body between the bike and the objects. A few of those and you learn that it's a mountain bike it's going to get damaged "who cares".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
f3rg said:
There's a guy at my work who bought an '08 Mustang V8 and occasionally drives it to work on nice Fridays. Mostly, he just drives an old truck and leaves the Mustang in his garage. Why? Because he doesn't want to hurt the resale value.

...OP, you're as bad as he is. Did you buy it to ride or to sell? :rolleyes:
I ride everyday and I ride hard. When I do crash I hate when the bike gets any sort of scratch.. I am the type that buys a new laptop every six months, has to have the newest phone etc... I just want to be able to get top dollar when I eventually do sell it. Does anyone have the bike tape that was mentioned in previous posts?

Ohh yeah... I probably wouldn't want to be seen in a Mustang so I don't blame the guy you work with.

·
41,573 Posts
whysoserious said:
I ride everyday and I ride hard. When I do crash I hate when the bike gets any sort of scratch.. I am the type that buys a new laptop every six months, has to have the newest phone etc... I just want to be able to get top dollar when I eventually do sell it. Does anyone have the bike tape that was mentioned in previous posts?

Ohh yeah... I probably wouldn't want to be seen in a Mustang so I don't blame the guy you work with.
Yes I have used the bike tape and it does help for scratchs. And it's not as dorky looking as other unmentionables on here. I think this is your best bet and you can order it from the link I provided above.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts