Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i run stans tubeless system and this weekend.. my front wheel hit a rock at an angle... causing a slit about 1/4" in length on the side wall... can this be patched in order to run tubeless?? or should i just run a tube in it till it wears and go tubeless next time???

Also.. is it a bad idea to use a tire with a folding kevlar bead for tubeless? (ie. the Kenda Blue Groove)

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
super glue it together......do it from the inside (works best). I did it from the outside though

many people use the kendra blue gooove

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
sidewall tears are the worst, theres alot of stress along there so any fixes will be very temporary....plugs, patches, glue, tape....

if the hole isnt too big, plugs (the automotive ones that are cylindrical) may work for a time (use them myself). If you can get a patch to stick that might be the way.

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
zedro said:
sidewall tears are the worst, theres alot of stress along there so any fixes will be very temporary....plugs, patches, glue, tape....

if the hole isnt too big, plugs (the automotive ones that are cylindrical) may work for a time (use them myself). If you can get a patch to stick that might be the way.
I have used a piece of fibreglass cloth cut to shape and a bunch of shoegoo. Shoegoo gives the stick n flexibility, fibreglass a bit of strength. :cool:

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
RockTheGeek said:
i run stans tubeless system and this weekend.. my front wheel hit a rock at an angle... causing a slit about 1/4" in length on the side wall... can this be patched in order to run tubeless?? or should i just run a tube in it till it wears and go tubeless next time???

Also.. is it a bad idea to use a tire with a folding kevlar bead for tubeless? (ie. the Kenda Blue Groove)
https://www.notubes.com/support_patching.php?osCsid=e6765ef50c69be31cc6a281784b32c99

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
man buy a tire its only $$$$$ we will make more right? :D

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
sidewall holes need something strong to either hold the tire together, or distribute the stress. I've had success with pieces of pastic soda cups. I've also sewed the tire together with thread and used superglue to reinforce it all.

I don't promote using duct tape, glue on it's own, or paper, the tire WILL push those things out/apart.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
there is this rubber sealent that you can buy. like 40 bucks will get you like 5 years worth of sealent. it's like this runner tape and you have this special liquid that slitly desolves the rubber tape making an air tight seal. it's used for insulation on construction.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
Don't flame!!

I have a strong background in auto tires, and where i come from its a big no no to repair things like this, but reailizing is a 40 pound bike and not a car i figured i'd ask.

I ran over a strait razor on my way to work the other day and it made a cut about an inch and a half in the tread and ripped my tube. Do you think that i could repair the cut or would it be better left in the trash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.