Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm just wondering if this is possible. Would there be clearance issues....front derailleur hitting chainstay, that sort of thing? I'm sure someone has tried it. I'm assuming also it would require a longer stroke shock too.
 

·
Amphibious Technologies
Joined
·
3,472 Posts
myitch said:
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm just wondering if this is possible. Would there be clearance issues....front derailleur hitting chainstay, that sort of thing? I'm sure someone has tried it. I'm assuming also it would require a longer stroke shock too.
I think PUSH is working on a rocker that will give you close to 6" of actual rear wheel travel; same 2.0 stroke shock.
 

·
Now with flavor!!
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
Put 3.0 tires on

Bend your legs

use a girvin suspension stem and thudbuster seat post
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
funny stuff woo.

a 6" rocker will allow contact between the tire and seat tube from everything ive read. even if it would have worked, another issue could be that yer overtaxin the frames intended use and risk breakage and/or injury. the 5.75" push rocker might be the trick once it comes out but if 6" and big hits are yer dream then a pack/rfx is yer solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was wondering about the PUSH rocker. That's only a 1/2" though.

If 6" travel were available, it doesn't mean I'm going to be jumping and hucking. Really what I'm after is more BB height. With the 5.3" travel, I'm hitting my cranks more than I like. If I were able to get a 3/4" more BB height, then I wouldn't need to sell my Spot. Oh well, back on the market she goes.
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
overstand. theres been alot of discussion about spot b/bkt height lately and if i recall, the push rockers wont help in this much. sounds like a lighter pack/rfx build is yer answer. maybe pick up a older rfx like many of us have done if yer lookin for a deal and dont mind the extra pound. dependin on tire and fork choice, you can get as much as 14 9/16" down below. with more careful spec, a 14" b/bkt is doable and thats just what yer askin for. try another thread askin for folks with that # and see what pops up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
I tried it

It was plush and I never had any contact between anything and the seat tube but I suppose I may not have been getting full travel. I stopped using it because the BB was over 15" and the head angle was around 72* so it ruined the stable low center of gravity cornering I like so much in my 5Spot. When Push comes out with the 5.7 rocker I'd try that with a 140mm fork and some tall tires like the Maxis advantage 2.4 or similar. That combo should add the better part of an inch to the BB height if you're using 2.35 Kendas or similar low profile rubber and a 130mm fork without jacking the geometry or dropping aniother $1900 for an RFX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
14" BB height on a Spot

Real simple way to up the BB is to run a shock that is 7 7/8" (200mm) x 2". It lifts the bb 3/4" and changes HT angle to 70 degrees. The Spot is still sweet DH!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
bikemanla said:
Real simple way to up the BB is to run a shock that is 7 7/8" (200mm) x 2". It lifts the bb 3/4" and changes HT angle to 70 degrees. The Spot is still sweet DH!
Can the chainstays move downwards enough for that trick to work? No interference with the bottom bracket area?

If one would put on a longer fork too it would balance the angles back to standard but with a higher bottom bracket (and slightly different suspension behaviour I would guess).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, is it definite that PUSH will make 5.7" rockers? I emailed them and they seemed not sure yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
14" Bb

theTnT said:
Can the chainstays move downwards enough for that trick to work? No interference with the bottom bracket area?

If one would put on a longer fork too it would balance the angles back to standard but with a higher bottom bracket (and slightly different suspension behaviour I would guess).
OK....some more info on doing this. There is no problem with the chainstays moving downward. The only diff I see is that on my small chainring ( It's a 20 tooth!!) to small cogs the chain rests on bottom of the derailler cage (XT) on the bike stand. When I'm on the bike there is no interference at all.

I am running a Manitou Minute 3 fork which is 5mm taller than factory spec as I remember.

According to mtbaction info, this makes the Spot geometry the same as the ellsworth epiphiny except for longer wheelbase.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top