Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the pedals for less than 2 years and a small chip broke off that holds one of the pins. I bought from my LBS. Is it worth contacting them or Kona to try to get a replacement, possibly under warranty?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
1 year to the original purchaser is the usual warranty for bike components irrespective of how long they last. Damage from rockstrikes/crashes/etc are not covered under warranty anyway, though some manufacturers might cut a rider some slack on that. IMO, flats are more prone to damage from rock strikes than are clipless pedals, but a missing pin or two is not usually a problem.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Is that considered a long life for flats? Not a big deal if so, but I'm coming from clipless which seemed to last a lot longer.
If you've owned something over a year (other then frame) the warranty is basically out. For me, i judge on the usage I get. I ride 3-4 days per week, so I can easily wear out certain parts in 6 months. It's the nature of the beast in a sport that may be one of the most brutal out there in terms of wear and tear on gear.

I digress... I've had pedals of all sorts fail in my years riding. Ironically, more XTR spd failures then any other pedals but I've had pedals of all types fail. Pedals are a high abuse, wear and tear item, if you get 2 years out of a set without a rebuild, you're doing pretty well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.