Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many if any upstate New York people there are... North of Syracuse.. Watertown and up.. I go to college in Potsdam and live near Watertown. Hopefully when the snow is gone it would be nice to get some people together to ride.

oh.. and happy Holidays. :cool:

·
Registered
140 Posts
slug said:
climb is good...are you a SMBA member? and are the trails ride-able in the winter?
Yes, I am a member.
I ride there several times a week,there is a pretty good group ride also on Tuesdays.
As far as the conditions now I don't think there would be anything rideable except for maybe the doubletrack on the way in.
I haven't been back there for a few weeks though

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went to school at potsdam. I now live in Oswego. There are some very nontechnical trails around clarkson. But as I said, SLU has a great outdoors program. They always meet outside of the library. Just find out when they meet and I'm sure they will fill you in on some nearby trails.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Potsdam trails

ZoSoSwiM,
I live in Colton (right down the road). There are all kinds of trails out our way. Stone Valley and the Ledge trails are advanced single track, about 10 miles total. Seven Springs has some intermediate single track (about 4 miles) and some bridges/stunts. Dtop me a line and I can show you the goods this spring. We also dig the help with trail work.
[email protected]

·
Registered
169 Posts
clarkson has some decent singletrack, probably 4 miles worth or so. id like to find those trails in colton, thats an amazing area. ive also read of some rumoured trails in the watertown area, im just contemplating if theyll be worth the drive, where are you moving to?

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The trails in Watertown are around the zoo.. I've heard there are a few others besides those. Never found them myself..
The Thompson park trails around the zoo are decent.. Lots of stuff that is too steep to climb.. but fun to bomb.. A few of the trails are pretty technical.. hard as hell. More dangerous than fun in spots.

Hopefully come riding season I can get my hitch and rack on my car and get my ass up to Pdam to ride the trails that taught me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I go through Watertown on the way to my parents (DeKalb Jct. right on the way to Potsdam) and did some racing (in the 90s) and riding but unfortunately not right in the Watertown area but close enough for you to take a day trip with some buddies and enjoy some new terrain.

The first place that came to mind is in Osceola, NY. I tried to look it up on Google and I think this is the address, Barnes Corners Ski, Hiking & Mountain Bike Trails Rte 177 Tug Hill Plateau Barnes Corners, NY 13626
315/376-3521. If you like well laid out and fun XC stuff it’s really worth looking to going here. What I remember about the place is that the people who owned and put the races on wanted everybody to have a good time and by doing so they put tons of work into the trials and always had food and drinks at the end of the day. They also, back then, let people stay on site and camp for free which I’m not sure if they do anymore but it’s worth checking into.

Other areas to look at, areas that you probably already know about, that are a bit further away (but since most times when I visit these areas I go through Watertown and are worth mentioning) are in the heart of the Adirondacks. Lake Placid has some great trails in and around the town, Whiteface Mt. use to have some really good trials but I’m not sure if they maintain them anymore, usually when I ride there it’s in the fall, I’ll ask permission to ride the mountain, and I ride the whole mountain for free. I use to ride at Cranberry Lake on Bear Mt. but I’m not sure that you can ride there legally anymore.

This probably doesn’t help too much, but when I think of Watertown, it’s because of these areas. Good Luck and if you’re ever down in the Finger Lakes region let me know, we’ve got some really great riding here!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.