Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I was just wondering if any of you guys are from the UK and ride a 29er here, as I can't think of any of you guys from here?

How do 29ers suit the UK and it's riding conditions?

Many thanks

Jamie

·
Registered
488 Posts
Nightfire is the man for you. I'm fairly sure he lives in your part of the country.

I'm down in boring, flat but woody Berkshire. My 29er suits me and the local trails very well indeed. Luke might be along in a minute but he lives in even flatter Norfolk.

In generally though, I'd say that its more about suiting the rider than the country. I'd happily ride mine anywhere although I might change the gearing if it got too hilly.

Martin

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Hello, I ride a 29er as my only bike (slicks / cross tyres / bonty 2.2" depending) and ride quite a bit on the Forest of Dean and the Cotswolds. I guess that big wheels work pretty much anywhere and I certainly don't regret my choice :D My girlfriend also rides a 29er singlespeed and likes it a lot as it is more stable and confidence-inspiring than the super-twitchey Bontrager Race Lite that is her other bike.

As to other 29er riders, I know of 3 in Warwickshire, a couple in Scotland and one in Wiltshire. Plus Nightfire, Martin and Luke.

Alex

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, my thinking was the terrain in the UK is a lot tighter and not as spread out as that in the USA, but it obviously matters not, I guess I'll be joining you guys sooner or later too! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Me too!

I'm a big 29er fan in the UK too and have been riding the big wheels exclusively for over 3 years now, without a single regret.

They suit me and all of the riding I do very well.

Come and join the fold..... ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ride 29er in Cheshire and North Wales.

I've been riding this area since 1989 on 26ers and switching to 29er (3 or 4 months ago) has been superb. I've not noticed any problems with flickability even in the twisty parts of Delamere Forest. I hardly ever get anything except the 29er out these days.

FYI: Bike is On-one Inbred 29er singlespeed. Fully standard except Deore LX Discs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm on my second 29er - an Astrix Monk, and loving it. London based but riding mainly the Downs, Chilterns and Surrey Hills. My first foray, an On-One, was a real revelation - at 6'5" it was the first mountain bike I felt properly comfortable on. 29ers win out for comfort and control on most stuff I've ridden. And speed too - only my second ride on the singlespeed inbred and I was keeping up with a guy on an orange patriot down twisty and rooty Golden Birdies trail. That was enough to convince me.

Jump in - you wont regret it!

James

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I like my 29"er especially on the tightest trails we have here in flat Holland. It's mostly non-29" fans commenting on wheelsize vs. location. Others seem to just ride their favorite wheelsize everywhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm from the UK and ride a 29er. What Mountainbike UK did a comparison test between 29er's and 26er's. The conclusion they came to was that if you are over 5'9 then go for a 29er. The test was very interesting and quite fair as they used on one inbreds for both bikes.I used to have a 26er cannondale that I loved till it got nicked. then I bought a gary fisher RIG and now would not go back to a 26er. (if only for the fact that they now look like BMX bikes to me)

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Hi JJ,
I`m in Cumbria and am just finishing a rebuid of a second hand GF 293.
So far very happy with the 29er. I`m 6`2" and feel the bike` fits` me better.
I am finding I want to ride it more than my 26er.
No probs with suitability for the UK terrain.

Give 29er a try !

ATVB,Mike.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dr Feelygood ! said:
Hi JJ,
I`m in Cumbria and am just finishing a rebuid of a second hand GF 293.
So far very happy with the 29er. I`m 6`2" and feel the bike` fits` me better.
I am finding I want to ride it more than my 26er.
No probs with suitability for the UK terrain.

Give 29er a try !

ATVB,Mike.
Hey Doc!

Sounds good, so when you say you think the bike fits better, what do you mean, is it all to do with the 29" wheels or more the geometry of the bike?

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
JJ,alot to do with the 29" wheels I think.
Axel centres are higher off the ground and as alot of people have commented you feel more `in` the bike than `on` it.
Bike rolls really well and does feel like it has more travel than the 4/4" it has.
I know its vanity but I look better on this bike as it looks as if its on the same scale as me size wise!

I don`t think I will be getting rid of my Tomac Eli until they start making 29er frames and forks with 6" travel.Also the tyre choices are getting better but still limited.
Cheers,Mike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.