Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try this...

Install the valve stem (either tubeless or from an old tube, it doesn't matter) but DO NOT TIGHTEN the nut down - just thread it on enough that the valve can't completely fall out. Now install the tire and goop (put both sides of the bead onto the rim) and once that's done, push the valve as far up into the tire as you can (without losing it in there) and then pull it back down and tighten down the nut for the valve stem. This should allow the tire bead to seat correctly near the valve.

Good luck!

-Walt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Can anyone give me any tips for getting my Speedcity/Exi/Stan's goop system to work? I tried using a tubeless valve stem and a normal tubed valve stem and I've had no luck getting the tire to hold any amount of air. I have no rim strips in because I'm using the speedcity. I can't get the bead to seat at the valve stem area when I have the valve stem in place before I mount the tire...I see white stan's goop leaving the wheel when I try to pump it up....

Any tips would be great....best way to seat the valve stem...do I wait after installing the stan's...do I need some rim stip...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Walt said:
Install the valve stem (either tubeless or from an old tube, it doesn't matter) but DO NOT TIGHTEN the nut down - just thread it on enough that the valve can't completely fall out. Now install the tire and goop (put both sides of the bead onto the rim) and once that's done, push the valve as far up into the tire as you can (without losing it in there) and then pull it back down and tighten down the nut for the valve stem. This should allow the tire bead to seat correctly near the valve.

Good luck!

-Walt
Thanks for the tip....I tried that w/ the tubeless valve stem and couldn't get the valve stem to seat to the rim...which is why I tried a standard tube valve stem....I think that allowed the tire bead to seat correctly...question now is getting the valve stem to seat correctly to the rim to hold air? I cranked the nut down tight, so maybe that isn't my problem....does the goop need to sit in the tire before it can properly seal?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cut off most of the rubber around the valve

You should only have maybe 1/4" of rubber around the valve - make it just a little bit too big to fit through the hole in the rim, but no bigger. If there's too much rubber on there, it won't seat up against the rim, because the extra rubber is getting held up by the tire.

If you've done that, and it's still not working, where is the air coming out? Is the tire inflating at all?

-Walt

qtip said:
Thanks for the tip....I tried that w/ the tubeless valve stem and couldn't get the valve stem to seat to the rim...which is why I tried a standard tube valve stem....I think that allowed the tire bead to seat correctly...question now is getting the valve stem to seat correctly to the rim to hold air? I cranked the nut down tight, so maybe that isn't my problem....does the goop need to sit in the tire before it can properly seal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Walt said:
You should only have maybe 1/4" of rubber around the valve - make it just a little bit too big to fit through the hole in the rim, but no bigger. If there's too much rubber on there, it won't seat up against the rim, because the extra rubber is getting held up by the tire.

If you've done that, and it's still not working, where is the air coming out? Is the tire inflating at all?

-Walt
No, the tire isn't inflating at all. I thought I trimmed as much rubber as I dared, but it sounds like I need to trim most of it off if I only have rubber slightly bigger than the hole...that might be the answer. Thanks, I'll give it a try.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top