Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine has invited me, and I'll be headed down there next week. Trouble is, she doesn't mtn bike. :( So I'm hoping there are trails nearby, so I can go while she's working.

This would also mean bringing my bike on the train. Anybody ever do this before? Don't think they charge extra, but I'd have to be there very early- one hour before it leaves, meaning 5:30am. UGH.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Don't know that this would be a good time for it. That's awfully close to the coast, I'm sure everything's been getting rained on from the hurricane. Even here way inland the trails are a bit sticky.

There is some stuff out there but from what I've heard its awfully flat.

Near greenville (about 10 miles from winterville) is the bicyle post trail, which is about 8.5 miles but as those folks own and operate it (private) you should just go to any of the bicyle post stores (in greenville) and get a map and info

Check out the trail reviews for UNCW and blue clay, those are also in that neck of the woods.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you

My query is a perfect example of how blinded we are by addiction: For the past few days, all you hear about on the news is weather, weather, weather. I figured, oh the hurricanes are pummeling Florida, nothing to worry about.

The Post trail sounds like something I could convince my friend to do, possibly. And it would probably be best to just rent a bike assuming there would only be a couple of rideable days anyway.

I really am getting the DTs just thinking about being away from my bikes for that time! Ah, well, I could lend out my hardtail to Sprocketeer while I'm gone.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
LOL! .....and I thought I was the only one. I too get the DTs if I'm away from my bikes more then a day or two. Sick bunch indeed.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Christine,

The Bicycle Post Trail by far is one of the best on the east coast of NC. I used to live about a hour from there, just outside of New Bern, NC and I would make the commute every weekend just to ride. The trails are rooty, tight n twisty with lots of short up and downs. There used to be a short stunt course with teeter tooters, log rides, and a BMX jump course that Greenville's home grown Dave Mirra used to freqent.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooooh!!

So it's not just a rail-trail type deal?? :) My friend's husband said he'd leave me the car to use, so I could do this......

Now if only the weather improves!

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
Christine said:
So it's not just a rail-trail type deal?? :) My friend's husband said he'd leave me the car to use, so I could do this......

Now if only the weather improves!
No rail trails there ! Just tight hand cut trails that were constantly being improved up to at least 2 years ago. The trails drain well because of all the sandy soil, though not to sandy to make you believe that sand it evil. Just a right mix. If I were driving it I could tell you exactly how to get there but its been a while. I remember you take 264 out of Greenville for about 10 miles and take a left by a old red barn in Falkland onto a dirt road that I can not remember its name. go about a mile and you'll see the signs at the back of a field on the left.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first order of business (after the Watermelon Festival and the requisite tours) will be to find the LBS. I'm sure they can fill me in on the details of what's around and such.

Now, is it considered wrong to ride the trails when they're still damp? Here on Long Island, where every inch of real estate is considered prime condominium space, the trails are compact, heavily used and easily ruined. So riding in/after the rain is a definite no-no. Not sure if this is true for ALL trails, or just the smaller ones like ours.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Not sure about the post trail, but up in the mountains its typically a judgement call based on trail surface durability, traffic, and how well the trail drains.

Post trail though is a private trail, the maintenance is done by the LBS and paying members ( I believe). I'd just ask them. Knowing that there is regular trail maintenance and that it is not a shared trail to me would mean that its not a big deal, but I'd check with the people who'll be fixing your erosion damage. It would be equally as reasonable for them to ask people not to ride when trails are wet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.