Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,472 Posts
Check out the Willow Springs Lake Trail -- Arizona's first purpose-built "mountain bike trail." Trailhead's on the first forest road that turns north as you go east of the Young exit. Nice if rocky singletrack, a pretty good "date ride" I've enjoyed for years. Nice doubletrack side trip out to an overlook onto Chevelon Canyon, too.

There's also the old Valentine Ridge loop, which MBAA used a loooong time ago in its race series, over near Young. May be hard to follow, although rumor has it USFS cleaned it up in like 2002 or so.

And of course less than 45 minutes away from Heber you have the 260 trailhead to the Highline Trail, one of the top 5-or-so singletrack trails in the whole state. It's probably closer to a 30 minute drive from Heber. Worth checking out.

Check out a local guidebook for details and loop recommendations.

p.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I rode the Hiline trail on the Fourth of July as part of a loop onto and off of the Rim described by Cosmic Ray and highly recommend the section of trail between the 260 trailhead and Cristopher Creek. The five miles between the 260 and the Drew trail is through a layer of red sandstone, like Sedona only covered with trees and duff and isn't too difficult of a ride. This would give you a very nice ten mile round drip. I saw elk tracks here -- I didn't know that Arizona had elk -- and also saw a deer. I also saw sign of bear -- overturned rocks and big scat.

The section of the trail between the Drew trail and Christopher Creek is technical and moderately steep but loads of fun, especially going down to Christopher Creek but this section would add lots of work to your trip if you have to come back to the 260 trailhead.

The Drew trail is insane going downhill. 1000 feet of descent in less than a mile. The Military Sinkhole road on the 260 side is equally steep, but is less technical. You ride, or in my case hike, through a beautiful forest and a fern-covered bench just before the rim, so the scenery compensates somewhat for the suffering. The rim trail is nice, but it dumps you out onto a dusty road full of idiots driving monster RV's or oversized diesel pickups.

Overall, the Hiline/Rim loop is a wonderfull adventure. If you are just looking for a nice moderately difficult ride take the Hiline trail from the 260 trailhead to the intersection of the Drew trail and then turn around and go back to the 260 trailhead.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
All of the lakes up there have trail systems around them. They are well traveled by hikers and not very tech.

I was about to post questions about Highline and Trailhead260 in a seperate thread but this is close to topic:

If planning on shuttling does Military Sinkhole flow into TH260 and then down to Christopher creek? Is it all DH that way or are there XC sections?

I did the trail up from Chrstopher Creek about 10 years ago towards TH260 but only 2 miles of it. That was a tough ride. Also rode the trail on top of the rim that is paved and full of old people and RV's.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
MattyBoyR6 said:
All of the lakes up there have trail systems around them. They are well traveled by hikers and not very tech.

I was about to post questions about Highline and Trailhead260 in a seperate thread but this is close to topic:

If planning on shuttling does Military Sinkhole flow into TH260 and then down to Christopher creek? Is it all DH that way or are there XC sections?

I did the trail up from Chrstopher Creek about 10 years ago towards TH260 but only 2 miles of it. That was a tough ride. Also rode the trail on top of the rim that is paved and full of old people and RV's.
I think that Military Sinkhole to the Hiline trail and down to Christopher Creek would be a very good shuttle ride. Speaking from recent experience, the ride is a very hard slog going the other way.

You actually drop down below trailhead 260 on the Military Sinkhole trail, and the 200 foot gradual climb back up to 260 is a very technical cross country trail. Almost a deer trail compared to the rest. The Hiline trail from trailhead 260 over to the Drew trail is a nice easy rolling cross country ride.

The two miles of trail down to Christopher creek which you have already seen is the toughest part is a lot more fun going down than coming up, and tougher than any of the rest of the trail. What makes the Military Sinkhole difficult is the constant steep grade and loose small rocks, but I'm pretty sure that going down wouldn't be a problem for the typical mountain biker -- there aren't too many hazards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.