Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super-Dee
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an intermediate rider visiting the east coast from Monterey, California and I was hoping to checkout some of the trails in NC. It looks like with the recent rains everything would be pretty muddy. Any advice?

Thanks..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Maida7 said:
If your heading to dupont, stay off airstrip trail. The hand work we did during the summer is super soft. We rode there last Saturday and airstrip was super sloppy
Thanks Dave - Good tip . Any other areas I should be concerned about? Probably going to stay down on that side of the forest - reasonover, mine mountain, burnt mt, cedar rock, etc.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
I rode Tsali Monday before the rains came and after few days of dryout. It was already bad in some sections with the freeze/thaw going on. I ended up bailing after an hour and riding up/down the paved road going down to the p-lot a few times.

We got 4"s locally(Nantahala area) the last 2 days. I'm thinking FS rds.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Ranger275 said:
Thanks Dave - Good tip . Any other areas I should be concerned about? Probably going to stay down on that side of the forest - reasonover, mine mountain, burnt mt, cedar rock, etc.
We rode reasonover and turned on turkey creek out to pinacle mtn road, joanna, ridgeline, jim branch, airstip, corn mills, laurel and mine mtn. Nothing was messy other than airstrip. It was super cold and the ground was frozen in many places. I think crossing little river could be very interesting.

There are some pisgah rides this weekend on the PAS forum HERE I'll be out at the fish hatchery at 2:00 PM Saturday. Your more then welcome to join me.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Duckman said:
I rode Tsali Monday before the rains came and after few days of dryout. It was already bad in some sections with the freeze/thaw going on. I ended up bailing after an hour and riding up/down the paved road going down to the p-lot a few times.

We got 4"s locally(Nantahala area) the last 2 days. I'm thinking FS rds.
Tsali's' like Bent Creek. Hardpack pure clay trails. Once they get wet, it takes longer to dry out because of soil type, density, and compaction. Some of our area trails are different- either more organic matter in the soil, more rock, less clay, or some sand. They drain better and dry out faster.
That's why I said avoid BC and why I'd also avoid Tsali.
Mike

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Dknoel,

Take Ranger275s offer of a guided tour in DuPont.

Most of our higher-elevation, better draining trails are beyond intermediate level, and while you'd probably be OK, a guided ride in DuPont is the way to go. DuPont is great for people of all levels and it does dry well. Until you know it, it can be frustrating because of the frequent trail junctions, so his offer sounds perfect.

·
Super-Dee
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ranger275 said:
Dupont State forest near Brevard. I'll probably head up that way if you want a tour.
Thanks for the offer, I plan on renting a bike from Sycamore cycles once I get in the area. It will probably be around 11am before I get there. I must be an addict to drive 4.5 hrs just to go ride..:p

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
"Avoid Bent Creek" - agree on lower levels and some of the single track, but don't discount.

If you are looking to get some un-muddy miles under your wheels, there are a few gated forest service roads that are doable. In particular, South Ridge is a nice route from either direction and Lower Side Hill should be OK. Going with Hickory or Ingles from/to Laurel/Ledford is usually safe too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Maida7 said:
A few of us did a short loop out at the hatchery this afternoon. Long branch, butter, cat gap. I really was that wet. Sure there were a few mud holes in the low areas. But nothing out of the ordinary.
Sounds like you might have meant to say "It really wasn't that wet":madman: . Instead, it sounds like you may have wet yourself in the nether regions...... :blush: :yikes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.