Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
If you drive through the canyon, you can get to the Pleasonton Ridge. Otherwise, all those rolling hills you see belong to farmers with salt-filled shotgun rounds, so you get the point. You can go south down Mission, climb up Morrison Canyon, and ride the fireroad up top, or go further south, climb a lot longer Mills Creek Road, and hit the fireroad up there. Otherwise, all Fremont's got are Mission peak and Coyote Hills...

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
If you drive through the canyon, you can get to the Pleasonton Ridge. Otherwise, all those rolling hills you see belong to farmers with salt-filled shotgun rounds, so you get the point. You can go south down Mission, climb up Morrison Canyon, and ride the fireroad up top, or go further south, climb a lot longer Mills Creek Road, and hit the fireroad up there. Otherwise, all Fremont's got are Mission peak and Coyote Hills...
Actually, the hill on the south side of Niles is the Vargas plateau. This has been in land bank for a number of years, and the EBPRD has been working on opening it to users.

Click here for more details.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the info!!

Obionespeedonly, man 7am?! Boy, that's a bit early for me :eek:P I will go search out Morrison Canyon and Mills Creek first and join you guys at 7 next time.

May I have more info for Morrison and Mills? I don't see either one from the MTBR review section and when I do google map on them, I could find Morrison but not Mills.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Garin Regional Park is close to Niles

Head north on Mission Bl, turn right on Tamarack and follow it all the way to the end and you will find an entrance to Garin Regional Park. Lots of trails and not a bad park to ride/hike in. Probally closer to Niles than Mission Peak Park.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cmon4day said:
Head north on Mission Bl, turn right on Tamarack and follow it all the way to the end and you will find an entrance to Garin Regional Park. Lots of trails and not a bad park to ride/hike in. Probally closer to Niles than Mission Peak Park.
Thank you for the headsup. How are the trials? Like Mission Peak or sort of boring?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
hkwan said:
Garin Park worth going? Single track, steep climb, fun downhill ?
Garin isn't a great place to ride. Lots of short and very steep fire roads with little shade. It's on my short list of places not to ride.\

I like Mission Peak a lot better. Ride from behind Ohlone. If you don't know it, it is also a tough climb, but at least is has a nice fun sustained descent. As Stumpy said, Pleasanton Ridge is also a relatively short ride through Nile Canyon in Pleasanton.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
hkwan said:
May I have more info for Morrison and Mills? I don't see either one from the MTBR review section and when I do google map on them, I could find Morrison but not Mills.
They're both windy roads that lead eventually to private properties, homes, and the such. But, atop morrison canyon (1.75 mile climb UP UP UP!), you can ride a fireroad although I've never really gone far on it. Mill creek is twice as long, and it took me 15 minutes of driving to get to the fireroad. Both are off Mission. Morrison intersects Mission basically @ Stevenson (iow, Stevenson becomes Morrison Canyon once it crosses Mission.) Mill Creek is right after the 680 exit by Mcdonalds (south of McD). It's gonna be on the east side, right across from Valle De Paz Condos or whatever. Kinda intersects mission like stevenson does for morrison. The link shows where the fireroad starts at the arrow, but otherwise you have to drive the long windy road. Man this is confusing, but hope it helps!

·
padded
705 Posts
the EB trails situation is bringing out the activist in me

This reminds to get on the stick and hook up w/ EBPRD to find out what I can do to help create more access out here. I moved to Fremont from the MidPen last winter and still haven't gotten used to the lack of singletrack. I'll build trails, I'll write letters, I'll contribute to favorably minded politicians - whatever it takes to get some decent, legal singletrack around here.

If you also ride road, there are great road loops around this area. Palomares Rd and Calaveras Rd are both beautiful, and Niles Cyn is ok if you time it right. Morrison Cyn & Vargas are great climbs, but the descent down Morrison is a white-knuckler all the way due to the risk of running into an ascending car. (Vargas ends at 680 so there's no sane way to make a loop of it.)

And Morrison extends east from Walnut, not Stevenson - I used to think it was Stevenson too but I realized it today on my road ride. Morrison Cyn = 12min of pain.

btw, the park in Niles has a bunch of kickers, drops, and assorted tricks that you can link up if you have the time to explore - throw in some park benches and retaining walls and you can put together a good skilz session. It's not singletrack, but it's better than nothing if you don't have long to ride.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The park is a pretty fun place to ride for a little while. I grew up in Niles and recently moved across town. There is stuff al over the place near the pump stations and trails by the creek, all of the local kids build stuff wherever they can so if you have the time to ride around you are bound to stumble across at least a couple of places.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
DrWheels said:
This reminds to get on the stick and hook up w/ EBPRD to find out what I can do to help create more access out here. I moved to Fremont from the MidPen last winter and still haven't gotten used to the lack of singletrack. I'll build trails, I'll write letters, I'll contribute to favorably minded politicians - whatever it takes to get some decent, legal singletrack around here.
First thing you should do is join the BTCEB (www.btceb.org). They fight the good fight. Then, you can express your opinion to your favorite EBPRD board member (http://www.ebparks.org/about/board#w3).

Welcome to the east bay. :)

You can also ride legally after dark.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just swung by Mission Peak at the Ohlone entrance today and seems like that entrance is closed(?) Can anyone confirm? I see bunch of blocking stands and signs there. So I went a mile or so down the road and used the Standford entrance.

Now regarding the trail off Morrison Canyon Road. So I started to take this road (off of Mission) up and it quickly turns into a single lane road. Is that correct. I drove for about a mile on this relatively narrow one lane road praying no car is coming down from the opposite direction. Then eventually I found a turn off and turned around and left. Did I use the correct street to go up to the Morrios Canyon trail? Should I have continued?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
hkwan said:
Just swung by Mission Peak at the Ohlone entrance today and seems like that entrance is closed(?) Can anyone confirm? I see bunch of blocking stands and signs there. So I went a mile or so down the road and used the Standford entrance.

Now regarding the trail off Morrison Canyon Road. So I started to take this road (off of Mission) up and it quickly turns into a single lane road. Is that correct. I drove for about a mile on this relatively narrow one lane road praying no car is coming down from the opposite direction. Then eventually I found a turn off and turned around and left. Did I use the correct street to go up to the Morrios Canyon trail? Should I have continued?
Harry, give me a day and we'll hit up the Peak. Thing about the ohlone side is that you have to go around the signs, ect... Unless they are closed or something, not sure, haven't been there inawhile. But, give me a date. And yes Morrison is a single one way, takes a while to get there, there are 2 y intersections, pass em, and you'll see a barn on you're right. Park there, and there's a fireroad to the north. You'll see it. Or, you can just let me drive your sti and I'll show you. Hell, everybody's got their price....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Steve, thank you for the Morrison info. What happens if a car is coming the opposite direction? Geez, one of the two cars would have to back the heck up until a turn out. Hmm... kinda unuser-friendly trial.

Would you know if the Morrison trail has similar characteristic as the Mission Peak trial? If so then forget about Morrison since Mission is easier to park, etc.

Yea, regarding Ohlone College entrance, there were bunch of sign and yellow ribbon across the entrance. May be calling up the East Bay Open Space main number and see what they say about that . Thank you Steve for the direction.

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
hkwan said:
Yea, regarding Ohlone College entrance, there were bunch of sign and yellow ribbon across the entrance. May be calling up the East Bay Open Space main number and see what they say about that . Thank you Steve for the direction.
They're just doing construction during the day and have blocked the top lot. Park in the lower lot and ride up. You ride to the upper-most parking lot and head to the left and then up to the trail. I've been up four times in the last week - as recently as Tuesday night with no issues at all. If you've got the stamina for it, it's a fun ride. Hit the back side of the last peak and you can swing up and over to the antena peak (unsure of the name, but it's where all the WISP's have their towers) and then up to Mission peak along a mostly rideable ridge instead of the rocky hike on the north side. I'd be happy to play tour guide any evening during the week. The view is incredible and the downhill makes up for the climb :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.