Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Pat McGroyne
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently riding a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with Fox Float 100 RL fork. The stock tires are wearing out and I was looking for new tire recommendations. I ride mostly in New England - rocky, rooty all-mountain type biking. I'm not particularly looking for the most speed out of the tire, I would rather have better grip and control especially on the climbs and decents. I prefer to run lower tire pressures but have been having a lot of pinch flats lately, especially my rear tire so I would like the new tires to be less prone to flats. My current tires are Specialized Roll X 26 x 2.0 size.

· My other ride is your mom
5,426 Posts
Well.....I'll start at the back and move to the front of your post. For starters, get some wider tires like a 2.2 or 2.3. You mention that you're not looking for the most speed out of the tire, and prefer to run lower pressures...running a bigger tire this will help you do that, give you a bit more grip, a bit more cush under your feet and help with the grip a bit on the climbs over the rocky, rooty terrain.

As for your specific terrain....I can't really comment on it since I live in AZ and deal with lots of rock...but dry rock. My experience with loose conditions is that of dry and sandy loose...instead of wet and slimy/muddy conditions. So I'd pay more attention to folks riding your specific area with respect to specific tread patterns.

I can tell you that getting a tread compound that is less dense/stickier will help with the grip on the wetter stuff vs. a dense compound. An example of the difference here would be a Kenda Nevegal vs. a Geax Saguaro. The Nevegal is pretty sticky and rolls slower....the Saguaro is pretty dense, but rolls faster. They're completely different tread patterns which somewhat affects the speed of them...but that's immaterial to the tread compound discussion which also plays a role in speed....but with respect to your concern...will also play a role in grip on the climbs.

Lastly, as for the pinch flat issue....you've been running too low tire pressure....and tubes. Going tubeless or tubeless conversion or ghetto tubeless is not for everyone....but that's one way to get rid of those pesky pinch flats and run lower pressure. Of course...you then have to worry about burping....but in my experience....burping is far less a concern than pinch flatting ever was when the system is set up right. You can find a lot of info on ghetto tubeless all over this forum, or do a search on the Arizona forum for the mega ghetto tubeless thread....just pack a snickers bar....lots of info in there.

I know I have not given you a name of a tire to try...but you're prolly better off going to a LBS and asking what a good tire (front and rear combo) would be good for the specific type of soil and terrain you ride the most. the rest of the info is just stuff you learn after experimenting a bit with tires and set-up.

Good luck.

· Registered
740 Posts
Two words: Kenda Nevegal :)

They may not be the fastest rolling tire, but you'll be hard-pressed to find something else as grippy and versatile. I ride a 5" trailbike in southwestern Ontario on rocky/rooty trails and have had an excellent experience with Nevegals. I run a 2.35" Stick-E version up front and 2.35" DTC in the rear. The stick-e adds a bit of weight but offers more grip from what I've found. If I were to do it again I'd probably just go with a 2.1" in the rear, no need for the wider tire there and it'd shave a bit of weight. Most of my riding buddies run the DTC Nevegals and are very happy with them as well. Another nice thing about the Nevegals is that they're relatively inexpensive online compared to other tires...go shred!

· Pat McGroyne
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it ok to place 2.3 tires on current rim?

My current rims are accomodating the stock 26 x 2.0 tires that came with the bike, can I still put 2.3 width tires on the front wheel without upgrading the rims?

Thanks for the feedback, i like the idea of a wider front tire.

Has anyone tried WTB velociraptors for all mountain riding?

Oh and I forgot to mention that I am a real fatass - weighing in at 135 lbs. I run tire pressures around 30 psi, is that too low?

· Mojo MadDuc
123 Posts
New Tires

PMG5727,

I agree with tdotrider, the Kenda Nevagals are really good, they will last a long time and are good in just about any terrain. You might consider the small block 8 and the kenda Blue groove as well. They are both excellent on rocky, rooty terrain as well as hard pack. On your Fox you should be able up to a 2.5 in the front. I have the same fork in the 120 version and I ran a 2.5 Blue Groove all summer with no clearance issues. I run mine tubeless with Stan's and I have not had any flat issues with any of the Kenda's. They may be a little heavier than some, but they are durable and they last! If you have a good LBS ask what they sell most of, that is usually a good indicator as well. If a tire won't hold up, the locals will usually let you know about it. Hope this helps.

MadDuc916

· Registered
235 Posts
Another way to prevent pinch flats without going tubeless is to use a DH tube.
They are 2-3 times thicker than the standard tube therefore heavier.
I use a Giant brand DH tube which has a 2.3mm wall thickness.
I run with 35psi front and back and never had a pinch flat.
The only drawback is the tube is heavy and I think you cannot get a size
smaller than 2.3mm (at least with the Giant brand which has the thickest wall)

· Registered
740 Posts
Most trail/xc rims will accomodate a 2.35" tire without issue, when tires get bigger than that squeezing them onto a narrow-ish rim causes too drastic a ballooning effect...which generally degrades tire performance and can pinch-flat more easily...

I have a 2.35 SmallBlockEight that I'm going to try on my rear wheel next summer, I tried the 2.1 in the past and wasn't too big a fan but heard that the larger-volume version handles very differently.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
i'll second the moto raptors suggestion. i've been using them for a while and they are a great all conditions tire. they come in several sizes, the 2.24" would probably be your best bet, i just saw that pricepoint.com that them for $27.95.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.