EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,787 Posts
jb weld will just make a mess

a thin smear of lexel then let dry for 2 days will do it

·
Mudhorse
485 Posts
The best stuff I've come across over the years is Scotch-Weld™ Neoprene High Performance Contact Adhesive EC-1357. Wear disposable gloves and your least favourite clothes while applying as it's got the consistency - and colour - of goose crap from a goose that's very, very unwell, but it's the perfect stuff for keeping tatty saddles going as it doesn't come unstuck, is flexible, and doesn't dissolve saddle foam.

The saddle on Winter Bike is the excellent but now unavailable Charge Spoon with the leather cover and titanium rails, and without the Scotch Weld EC-1357 I'd have had to replace it years ago as the sides get ground away by thighs covered in abrasive mud. Whenever a new worn bit develops I just stick the flap down, leave it to dry for a day, then smear the repair with a bit more '1357 to seal it.

I've also used it to repair clothing, specifically my Endura MT-500 shorts with the waterproof arse. These started to come apart at the seams (again with the mud-grinding thighs) and I stuck them back together with the '1357 with the intention of sewing the seam afterwards, but in the end I didn't need to as the glue was plenty strong enough.

No lovingly-groomed trails were harmed in the grinding away of saddles and shorts.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,101 Posts
^^^From amazon...

"This product is intended for professional/commercial use.
When you check out, you will be asked to verify that you are a professional/commercial user. Please review the legal disclaimer for this product."

One of the reviews strongly suggests wearing a mask and to make sure it only gets where you want it because it's not coming off.

·
Mudhorse
485 Posts
^^^From amazon...

"This product is intended for professional/commercial use.
When you check out, you will be asked to verify that you are a professional/commercial user. Please review the legal disclaimer for this product."

One of the reviews strongly suggests wearing a mask and to make sure it only gets where you want it because it's not coming off.
That's the seal of quality right there! I got a 5 fl oz tube off ebay (where they're not so picky about who they sell to) and it's showing no signs of turning into one solid lump like a lot of contact adhesives would once the tube is opened. The solvent is pretty volatile, so no naked flames or sparks. Also no smoking in the area as - aside from the fire hazard - you don't want to be drawing in the fumes through a glowing cigarette end and into your lungs. Also it sticks best at room temperatures, so doesn't work as well applied in a cold winter garage. It's not going to fill a room with choking fumes with the amount you'd need to apply to patch a saddle, but ventilation is always a good idea with solvents in the air.

Here's the material safety data sheet. It looks pretty scary, but they all do and this one's relatively benign compared to some of the products that people use on a daily basis. I do feel for the poor rats and rabbits that gave their all for the toxicity data, though it does seem that the product itself wasn't tested, rather pre-existing data was reproduced for each ingredient. Most popular chemical products don't publish animal testing data as it would hurt sales with the general public, but they all use it and you can be sure that WD-40 or GT85 (say) have similar records on file. Grim :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.