Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of installing some enduro seals for my Totem fork but I'm at an impasse. The outer dust wiper popped right off but the inner seal seems like it's glued in. I've tried prying it with a screwdriver like the instructions said and that did not work. I then hit it with some needle nose pliers. This ended up ripping the seal so now I have the part that sits in the fork firmly locked in there. I sharpened a spoke and I'm attempting to pick at it to see if can pry it but it's not working. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Wirewheel on a Dremel?
The space is too narrow. I had to grind a spoke flat to fit it in there. The spoke and the box cutter blades are the only thing narrow enough to fit in there. I can't believe how stuck this is. The Fox seals popped right off the last time I did one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
fixbikeguy has it. I had the same issue with my Lyrik, except the space is even smaller. The seal has a hard urathane ring molded in so it feels like it is glued in. You can break it with a needle nose but do not use a dremel! The lowers are way too soft and if you hit them with the wheel you are skrud!:madmax: You will have to break it to get it out, but don't damage your lowers.

·
Registered
558 Posts
fixbikeguy said:
I always use a metal Pedros tire lever. The big spoon shaped one with the plastic handle. It seems to scoop the seal out with just a little prying.
The seals in my Totem were in really tight too. It took a bit of patience to remove them slowly without damaging the lowers. Carefully pry with something not too sharp. The tire levers are a good idea. Pry one side and then the other side. Do you have anything to install them with? They are a tight fit going back in as well. You shouldn't hammer them back in with a screw driver or a punch

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
The Pedro's DH lever is good, but the missing ingredient is a heat gun. Heat the seal up thoroughly and then pry it out. The heat makes all the difference. This tip is shown in our online PIKE pictorial. We don't have a Totem specific pictorial posted, but seal removal and install is the same for all RS forks, so don't be afraid to check out our online instructions. When you are in the middle of installing one of our products, don't hesitate to email with problems either.

Karve, just checked out that link. Thanks for that. I even used pics on that one. Must be lazy today...

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not having much luck, even with the heatgun. The underside of the seal is so soft that it's breaking apart as I try to pry it out. I even cranked up the gun so hot that the seals were smoking and still no luck.

I'm stuck with one leg that has the full seal that's starting to break apart and the other one is completely broken apart so just the thin seal part is jammed in there. I'm trying to dig it out but it's not working at all. This really sucks!

I'm glad I still have my Float36. Not sure if the Totem is worth all this trouble.

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
woodyak said:
Not having much luck, even with the heatgun. The underside of the seal is so soft that it's breaking apart as I try to pry it out. I even cranked up the gun so hot that the seals were smoking and still no luck.

I'm stuck with one leg that has the full seal that's starting to break apart and the other one is completely broken apart so just the thin seal part is jammed in there. I'm trying to dig it out but it's not working at all. This really sucks!

I'm glad I still have my Float36. Not sure if the Totem is worth all this trouble.
If you want to send me the lowers I'll get the old seals out for you. Just cover shipping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.