Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone,

I'm sorta new to the forum but have been watching in the background for a bit. I wanted to start riding to work ( a 7 mile trip ) to help offset the gas prices and also because i enjoy riding. As i work in an office I have no easy way to clean myself up I was wondering what some of my fellow riders do. For certain I will be changing my riding cloths for the normal office setup. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wet wipes are a decent substitute for a shower.
If you don't ride in your work shoes, leave them at work, they take up a lot of space in a bag.
For a commute of that length and no shower...the least stressful route to work may be better than the shortest.

Keeping a complete set of cloths at the office for emergencies can avert a lot of hassles. the emergency set in my drawer has saved me several times now, just in the last two weeks I've forgotten to pack a work shirt and had my lunch leak in my bag.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
n2vxc said:
As i work in an office I have no easy way to clean myself up I was wondering what some of my fellow riders do.
I don't ride everyday, just on the nice days, maybe every other day. I bring a change (or two) of clothes to work, shoes, and a towel and leave them here. Then I don't have to back pack them.

When I get to work I go into the bathroom, wash up a little bit, and dry off. I've never been a smelly sweater so just some deodorant in the morning does me fine, otherwise I'd keep one at work.

I've got a fan at my desk and turn it on Hi to cool me off quickly so I don't continue sweating.

We've got showers at work. (Use to have a racketball court in our building) But I've never bothered showering. A quick washup in the bathroom works fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i ride to work on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday

on Wednesdays i drive to the dry cleaners in the morning and pick up clothes to take to work for the week

at lunch, i drop off the dirty clothes at the cleaners for pickup on the following wednesday

i work in an office where i must dress professionally so stuffing my nice shirt and pants into a backpack isn't really an option

also, i leave my shoes and belt at work

the only thing i have to pack is my lunch, underwear, undershirt and a clean pair of socks everyday

you can try packing a wet hand towel in a gallon freezer bag and use it to wipe down while you change into your work clothes in the restroom

·
Registered
32 Posts
I rode in today..I just pasck some clothes in my backpack and ride to work.. Once I get here, I towel off, slap some underarm deoderant on and drink some cold water... that's all folks..

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Yeah, leave your shoes there. When you do drive, bring in a few extra sets of work clothes so you don't always have to pack (wrinkled) clothes for the ride. Keep deodorant at work, too. Wear sweat-wicking clothes for the ride-no cotton. Something like loose-fit underarmor (or a generic) is great.

I never worried about flats on the road before, but if you ride off in the shoulder, you may pick up some nasty stuff. Just got my first road flat the other day on the way to the gym. I picked up a cotter pin and it went right through tire and tube like a nail and lost all my air in about 1 minute. Luckily it happened only a couple hundred yards from the gym and my wife was there. So maybe a slime tube or stan's sealant would be a good idea-you don't want to get stranded.

You will also like tires with low knobs or a more street-worthy tread-it will make the bike faster and easier to pedal on pavement.

Good luck!

·
2,250 Posts
Uncle Six Pack said:
I never worried about flats on the road before,
When you don't worry about them is when you get them.

I just grab my camelbak. It always has my toolkit and pump. I throw in a 1" tube for my road tires and I'm good. Plus I can carry my cell phone, Sirius radio, keys, money, wallet, lunch, and a little bit of water. And today a movie to drop off at Blockbuster on the way.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
tlg said:
When you don't worry about them is when you get them.

I just grab my camelbak. It always has my toolkit and pump.
Yeah, tools and tube SHOULD be carried, but they are in my camelback and when I go to work/gym/store, I bring my regular backpack to carry stuff. I guess I should make another mini-kit for the backpack or consolidate the essentials from my camelback so I can transfer them easily.

·
2,250 Posts
Uncle Six Pack said:
I guess I should make another mini-kit for the backpack or consolidate the essentials from my camelback so I can transfer them easily.
If I were to have a mini kit for road, it'd include a spare tube (maybe tire levers for a tight road tire), pump, and chain tool.

Other than a flat, most any other problems can fairly easily be ridden on the road. With a chain tool, you can always turn your bike into a single speed. You can get by with just one brake.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We have a locker room. I keep my work gear, uniform, shower shoes, bodywash, etc in my locker. I bike with backpack filled with clean towel, extra socks, extra t-shirt, extra shorts, work t-shirt, etc. Shower and change at work....go to work....change into bike gear and pedal home.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It is a good idea to have liners in your tires to prevent flats. Sealant is generally less effective on the road, where, unlike off road, most of flats come from bigger pieces of metal, rather than from thin thorns. If your tubes have Presta valves, don't forget the adjuster to inflate at gas stations.
I always carry a small bottle of 95% alcohol with me, helpful for both cleaning myself of sweat and treating wounds, just in case.

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
cleanup idea
put a washcloth in a ziploc bag with 7-8 shakes of salt. zip it
in the bathroom at work, add enough water to wet the washcloth and dissolve the salt. shake it up (zipped), step into a stall, strip and wipe down. no stink and no sticky coated feeling from baby wipes.

if you ride in the dark, use lots of blinkies on the aft end of your ride. recommend planet bike superflash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.