Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pondering about using Dura 's rather than my xtrs. I dont use small chainring much. How do they compare with xtr? As stiff? What about q factor...any smaller...Thanks for thoughts

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
On a MTB? Your going to have gearing issues. BIG TIME gearing issues.

Roadie cranks = Road bikes!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
compact road...

rjpstoked said:
Just pondering about using Dura 's rather than my xtrs. I dont use small chainring much. How do they compare with xtr? As stiff? What about q factor...any smaller...Thanks for thoughts
you better have a look at compact road cranksets. those come with 30-34 grannys and can be fitted with any size big ring. lighter and still suited for MTB-riding. the DA triple is useless on a MTB and the 53t ring most probably won't clear your chainstays either...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Now once again I can say that I tried this setup as well: the FSA compact with a 46t ring instead of the 50t. 46/34 works on "tourist type" MTB roads for me, but on real stuff, I need an MTB triple crank. The Q-factor is excellent: unfortunately aluminum frames are too wide near the dropout to take full advantage of this. The compact crank only fit on my Morati...

-b

·
Master Of Fooliganism
483 Posts
Compact road?

you better have a look at compact road cranksets. those come with 30-34 grannys and can be fitted with any size big ring.

"Compact Road"--> Classic! Wouldn't that also known as "MTB-Standard" aka 110/74mm bolt pattern that I know some people still ride.

Or wait! It could be the same pattern (110mm) as my Ritchey Logic 'cross cranks I've been running for..ohhhh...seven or eight years?

Cracks me up how stuff never really dies in the bike world.

Oni likes the big gear, standard cranks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts