Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? A couple of threads I've read had the Rekon as a decent front tire. Course, I'm not sure where in the country they were. What do you run on the front? And thanks for the replies.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I’ve run both front and rear, which was too slow-rolling for me, and front-only on my Primer, which was OK, but just OK. I prefer a faster 2.35-2.4 tire, and am going with a Rekon 2.4 WT front and rear on my SB100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've been running the Rekon up front in 27.5x2.8 for months, with no issues at all. I'm in the Ozarks, mostly rocky, hardpack, leaves, some loose conditions. Never felt sketchy up front to me. Mine is 120 tpi and despite some pointy rock gardens and shale they've survived it all and outlasted some other tires I've run. I also ordered a 2.6/29 to try at some point on my 29er.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the comments.

@waltaz, does the front wash out for you? Do you use the 120 or 60tpi? Right now I have Vee Crown Gems f/r (27.5x3.0, stock durocs/fex8), @16-17psi, I find that the front is washing out on the Vees and i want better cornering from the front, especially with the marbles over hard that we have here in Tucson

·
Registered
6,613 Posts

@waltaz, does the front wash out for you? Do you use the 120 or 60tpi? Right now I have Vee Crown Gems f/r (27.5x3.0, stock durocs/fex8), @16-17psi, I find that the front is washing out on the Vees and i want better cornering from the front, especially with the marbles over hard that we have here in Tucson
There is no possible thread count that will compensate for the Rekon tread design in "marbles over hard" as a front tire.

Edit: I only mean it in that application.

I have a pair of 29x2.6 (Alphabet) Rekons that I'm looking forward to trying, once the buff, XC style trails in Park City have dried out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There is no possible thread count that will compensate for the Rekon tread design in "marbles over hard" as a front tire.
This is probably true.... in those conditions you're safer on something with more traction. I can't promise it's performance in Arizona but I had great results with an XR4 in 29/2.6, until I punched a hole in the tread. Faster rolling (I assume) than a dhf.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
especially with the marbles over hard that we have here in Tucson
I know people who like and use the Rekon in the front. But this is not the sort of trail condition they're using it on. It works in the front on hardpack. It doesn't bite enough for any loose-over-hard except for maybe a thin layer of sand or dust over hard. Fine gravel will be iffy and marbles over hard will be too much.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also to further clarify, I'm switching to 29er wheels due to a rim breaking (my own fault) and being tired of pedal strikes.
I have lots of time on Rekon 27.5x2.8 and they're fine....I think they're worse in other sizes/formats.

Switching to 29ers on my FEX8 was the best move though, and I run DHFs front and rear (2.5f 2.3r on i34 rims.) Less rolling resistance, better traction and stability, proper BB height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
I run a Rekon 2.6 on both of my bikes in the front here in the southern Appalachians. I find it works really well in our conditions so far. As the summer goes on, we'll see how it does when things dry out a little.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts

120 TPI, and while I didn't have serious problems with it, it was prone to being loose in front. Depending on the bike and application, the best 2.6 tire I've found is the XR2 2.6 Team. Not overly burly-looking, but light, fast rolling and suprisingly durable. Hooks up very well until the tread wears down, then all of a sudden, it doesn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
No Clue Crew
7,647 Posts
You'll note that most of the folks who find it to be an acceptable front tire are not riding in a desert environment. This is the danger of taking tire input from folks who don't share your particular conditions.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Blatant, agreed and I've paid attention to that.

@Waltaz, thanks for the response. Is it the XR2s or XR4s that are basically renamed Chupas? The Chupas on my stock 27.5 rims mirrors your experience with the XR2. I guess I'm looking for something different....

My priorities would be cornering, climbing ability then speed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
@Blatant, agreed and I've paid attention to that.

@Waltaz, thanks for the response. Is it the XR2s or XR4s that are basically renamed Chupas? The Chupas on my stock 27.5 rims mirrors your experience with the XR2. I guess I'm looking for something different....

My priorities would be cornering, climbing ability then speed.
XR2 = Chupa. XR4 is knobbier and grippier.. it's good up front, I ran it with an XR2 rear.

·
Premium Member
10,754 Posts
Wanna go fast on loose over firm, get a deeply tread tire like a DHF.

Pick your tire based on conditions unkess you XC race and care more about what’s fast in a straight line; and you’re willing to take your chances in the corners.

If there’s enough hard rock or the loose gets worked off the trail, a Rekon will work fine in desert conditions, it just doesn’t cut trough the loose so it can be skittery.

They are durable tires, I’m running 29 x 2.6 front and a 2.6 Ikon rear, which work great for XC. I had a set of 27.5 x 2.8 on my trail bike and wore them smooth, never flatted, but the sidewalls were a seepy mess.

I’m partial to the 60tpi for abrasion and pinch flat resistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.