XT cassette
race race taper lock bb
next lp crankset
king hubs
Mavic 517 rims
irc mythos tires
ritchey pro stem & easton carbon seatpost and bars
434 pedals

i already have a fork and pedals picked out and i'm going to loose the race face 44t. i'm working on rebuilding the wheels a little lighter too. i'd go with a bunch of aluminum hardware if i could find a store that sells it.

·
Retrograde Customs
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
beeristasty said:
Tires and tubes should be the first to go. Foam grips also save a good chunk of weight for lo cash. Bolt on skewers too.
got foam grips and the tires i'm not overly worried about as the mythos are noticably lighter and provide more traction than the hot s i had. plus i like the red. can i get bolt on skewers in red? that's a very doable idea.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
dansjustchillin said:
got foam grips and the tires i'm not overly worried about as the mythos are noticably lighter and provide more traction than the hot s i had. plus i like the red. can i get bolt on skewers in red? that's a very doable idea.
You can find them in red. I dont know if anyone still makes them in red, but you can find them. I just found a new set of purple ones. Sucks that they dont fit with a rennen rollenlager mounted on! Eh, Ill find some other use. Question for you: what does it weigh? To me it looks like a great build.

·
Retrograde Customs
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TheRedMantra said:
You can find them in red. I dont know if anyone still makes them in red, but you can find them. I just found a new set of purple ones. Sucks that they dont fit with a rennen rollenlager mounted on! Eh, Ill find some other use. Question for you: what does it weigh? To me it looks like a great build.
last time i had it on a scale it was 24 and a half. it's really solid, but i think it can go lighter and stay just as solid. i have a question, how much abuse do you think some candy ti eggbeaters will take? they're wicked light and they come in red so i have been seriously concidering a set but i'm wondering now if they'll take my abuse.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
SLR seat,

dansjustchillin said:
16" discipline frame
x-vert super fork
avid ti brakes
paul levers
XT pod shifters w/ display removed and i shaved them down
XT derailleurs
XT cassette
race race taper lock bb
next lp crankset
king hubs
Mavic 517 rims
irc mythos tires
434 pedals

i already have a fork and pedals picked out and i'm going to loose the race face 44t. i'm working on rebuilding the wheels a little lighter too. i'd go with a bunch of aluminum hardware if i could find a store that sells it.
& flat carbon bars.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Ligher tires and tubes

dansjustchillin said:
16" discipline frame
x-vert super fork
avid ti brakes
paul levers
XT pod shifters w/ display removed and i shaved them down
XT derailleurs
XT cassette
race race taper lock bb
next lp crankset
king hubs
Mavic 517 rims
irc mythos tires
434 pedals

You won't see big gains for as few bux anywhere else. Mythos are at 550-580g as advertized, but Python Airlites are about 75-100g lighter each, and Maxis flyweight/Performance Lunarlite tubes can save another 50-100g each over plain-ole tubes. On the optomistic side, that can be a pound right there for $60 or so. Add bonus points for using 3m strapping tape as a rim strip and shave another 20-30g or so.

I have yet to find any local shops that carry alu bolts, but http://redmistmotorsports.com sells nice ones pretty cheap. You can prolly do your whole bike (the non-stressed bolts) for around $20 with spares for the toolbox.

I would not worry too much about the chainrings. Not a ton of weight to save there. Wait until you wear them out.

·
Retrograde Customs
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pimpbot said:
You won't see big gains for as few bux anywhere else. Mythos are at 550-580g as advertized, but Python Airlites are about 75-100g lighter each, and Maxis flyweight/Performance Lunarlite tubes can save another 50-100g each over plain-ole tubes. On the optomistic side, that can be a pound right there for $60 or so. Add bonus points for using 3m strapping tape as a rim strip and shave another 20-30g or so.

I have yet to find any local shops that carry alu bolts, but http://redmistmotorsports.com sells nice ones pretty cheap. You can prolly do your whole bike (the non-stressed bolts) for around $20 with spares for the toolbox.

I would not worry too much about the chainrings. Not a ton of weight to save there. Wait until you wear them out.
tires will get done again eventually i like those savings. don't like the pythons but i'm sure there are others just as light. on the bolts, which ones would i need for my xt shifters paul levers and top cap? i'm not sure and don't want to order the wrong thing. i see some red ones in there too, that would just be to cool. the flat bars mentioned earlier, that would be an option had i gone with the bigger frame but on the 16" i don't think that's gonna feel right. there's gotta be a lighter red seat out there though.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Oooh! I forgot!

dansjustchillin said:
tires will get done again eventually i like those savings. don't like the pythons but i'm sure there are others just as light. on the bolts, which ones would i need for my xt shifters paul levers and top cap? i'm not sure and don't want to order the wrong thing. i see some red ones in there too, that would just be to cool. the flat bars mentioned earlier, that would be an option had i gone with the bigger frame but on the 16" i don't think that's gonna feel right. there's gotta be a lighter red seat out there though.
I picked up at Kenda Karma at ReCyclerey for cheap, slapped it on the front of my bike, and man, does it stick well!

I picked up a new Karma DTC at SeaOtter and raced it. It worked perfectly out there. It rolls almost as well as the Python, weighs the same, and sticks much better in the turns and loose stuff. Check that out!

I'm not sure what the XT levers take, but my LX levers took M6 bolts, 15mm long. Just unscrew the existing ones and measure them. An M6 bolt is 6mm in diameter (the threaded part) and measure the threaded shank length. Be sure to get the correct head. Coutnersunk heads will do you no good.

Typically (and measure anyway to back yourself up) an M6 bolt will use a 5mm allen wrench, M5 uses a 4mm allen, but different bolts use different things. DO NOT use a ball end allen wrench to tighten them up or you WILL strip it out. They also do not go very tight, so be easy on them. Heck you shouldn't tighten up the levers and shifters much anyway. They should slip around the bars in the event of a crash instead of breaking off. DO NOT use them anywhere that is under stress. Stem, seat post, seat clamp, etc all bad. Use TI there. Brake lever clamp, shifter clamp, top cap, front derailleur clamp -okay. I got some holding my water bottle cages on as well, but one crash will break them off. I even got some holding my cable clamps on my shifters, but I dropped some LocTite in the cable/pinch area to prevent slippage.

I got mine in weight weenie bling blue ano. :)

·
Retrograde Customs
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Typically (and measure anyway to back yourself up) an M6 bolt will use a 5mm allen wrench, M5 uses a 4mm allen, but different bolts use different things. DO NOT use a ball end allen wrench to tighten them up or you WILL strip it out. They also do not go very tight, so be easy on them. Heck you shouldn't tighten up the levers and shifters much anyway. They should slip around the bars in the event of a crash instead of breaking off. DO NOT use them anywhere that is under stress. Stem, seat post, seat clamp, etc all bad. Use TI there. Brake lever clamp, shifter clamp, top cap, front derailleur clamp -okay. I got some holding my water bottle cages on as well, but one crash will break them off. I even got some holding my cable clamps on my shifters, but I dropped some LocTite in the cable/pinch area to prevent slippage.

I got mine in weight weenie bling blue ano. :)[/QUOTE]

good deal i'll definatly have to get on the al bolts. i already have most of the stuff on my rear deraileur and i'm working on a srp lock ring. got some ti bolts for the stem too. just need the shifters, brakes and top cap bolt. now i just gotta get some red pauls instead of the black ones, how hot would that be with red bolts in them :D

·
Retrograde Customs
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TheRedMantra said:
Crank Brother's limit on ti axles is 185lbs/85kg. Here are some red bolt on skewers . They say for road, but the rear is 145mm, so it should fit no problem.
right on i'm watching those skewers, if my tax check comes before they're over i'll pick those up for sure. suck about the pedals, i'll kill those in no time. might try the regular eggbeater sl's then for now. they don't appear to be all that much heavier and they're alot cheaper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.