Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new mountain bike park is opening up about an hour from where I live. (Highland) I plan on going a bunch. I was thinking about picking up a DC fork for the times that I go. Any thoughts on how that will work? Any forks I should consider?
Thanks all.
 

·
Now with flavor!!
Joined
·
5,613 Posts
An older coil sprung 7" boxer or super t would be nice and cheap.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
39,553 Posts
A few years ago, sure.

These days, I don't think you are going to do much better than something like a 66 Light ETA or 66RC2x.

You could get an older super T for pretty cheap.

Stay away from an older boxxer...they're craptastic.
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Unauthorized. All Six Packs are to be adorned with single crowns, bashguards sans chain guides, and gravity dropper seatposts. Please refer to your manual, thank you.
Your posts are becoming terribly predictable.

_MK
 

·
Outcast
Joined
·
8,588 Posts
If you don't want to blow a lot of money, you can pick up a super T pretty cheap. They work well, aren't too heavy, can be easily serviced, etc. I have one as my second fork for the same reason you seek one. If I dump the bike and jack the heck out of it, it's not a big deal to me.
What fork do you have on the bike now?

My RFX with the super T on it:

 

·
Amphibious Technologies
Joined
·
3,472 Posts
MBN said:
A new mountain bike park is opening up about an hour from where I live. (Highland) I plan on going a bunch. I was thinking about picking up a DC fork for the times that I go. Any thoughts on how that will work? Any forks I should consider?
Thanks all.
Skullcrack's Pack:
 

Attachments

·
Team Sanchez
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
MBN said:
A new mountain bike park is opening up about an hour from where I live. (Highland) I plan on going a bunch. I was thinking about picking up a DC fork for the times that I go. Any thoughts on how that will work? Any forks I should consider?
Thanks all.
If you've got the cash, have a look at a 7 inch 888. I think the 888 would make for a sweet ride for shuttle or lift assisted days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,019 Posts
Renegade said:
If you don't want to blow a lot of money, you can pick up a super T pretty cheap. They work well, aren't too heavy, can be easily serviced, etc. I have one as my second fork for the same reason you seek one. If I dump the bike and jack the heck out of it, it's not a big deal to me.
What fork do you have on the bike now?

My RFX with the super T on it:
Rennie, how did the 66SL service shake out....report!!!!
 

·
Outcast
Joined
·
8,588 Posts
jncarpenter said:
Rennie, how did the 66SL service shake out....report!!!!
Well I'm sad to say I've only had one ride in on the reworked 66SL. Most of my "spare time" is going into the little fix-up jobs on a condo I own that I'm selling. Closing is a week from today!
But I'm happy to report that so far I'm happy with the fork. The axle does in like butter from either direction. The bushing stiction is less than it was before the rework, after 5 months of riding it! Did some jumping off my backyard ramp, and the landings were smoooooooooth.I think the fork will be wonderfull.
Jay, how many hours did you put in on your reworked fork to get it feeling like it does now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am using a Flick Plus right now, but I am going to start the search for a Super T or perhaps a 888. I already have a DH wheelset, and with a 888 on the front it could sure be a cool set up.
Thanks all.
M.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,019 Posts
Renegade said:
Jay, how many hours did you put in on your reworked fork to get it feeling like it does now?
...well, I only have about 5 rides on it (8-10 hours), but the thing felt incredible out of the box. It was waaaaay smoother than before I sent it in (ridden for 6 mos.). It barely has any stiction at all in the initial stroke & once you break it initially it will only be apparent if the fork has sat for a while. Before, it would have a decent amount of initial stiction every time you began the stroke. Small bump compliance is like butter now....so glad I sent it in.:thumbsup:
 

·
Xtremely Moderate
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...well, I only have about 5 rides on it (8-10 hours), but the thing felt incredible out of the box. It was waaaaay smoother than before I sent it in (ridden for 6 mos.). It barely has any stiction at all in the initial stroke & once you break it initially it will only be apparent if the fork has sat for a while. Before, it would have a decent amount of initial stiction every time you began the stroke. Small bump compliance is like butter now....so glad I sent it in.:thumbsup:
What exactly did you guys say to Zoke when you called them?
Did they treat it as a warranty situation?

They rebound on mine is so sloooooow that its barely at an acceptable level dialed all the way out. So small bumpy comp. is suffering I think.

I just moved the 66 off my VPF to my 5 Pack and put a 888 on the VPF. The 888 is the definition of buttah and its making the 66SL feel even stickier. :madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,019 Posts
eIo said:
What exactly did you guys say to Zoke when you called them?
Did they treat it as a warranty situation?

They rebound on mine is so sloooooow that its barely at an acceptable level dialed all the way out. So small bumpy comp. is suffering I think.

I just moved the 66 off my VPF to my 5 Pack and put a 888 on the VPF. The 888 is the definition of buttah and its making the 66SL feel even stickier. :madman:
...EIO, first off....do the axle alignment test. Remove the wheel, insert the axle from the non-disc side & see how well it lines up with the disc-side drops. That alone will get you a warranty replacement set of lowers. I'm not sure if it was the twisted lowers causing stiction or the older seals...either way it sure is a different feeling fork. If your 66SL doesn't feel as smooth as any Z1/ 888 you've ridden, you have an issue. This newly serviced fork feels very smooth. Give them a call & talk to mike or ronnie.

I called to complain about stiction, they had me do the alignment test & said that was probably the problem...sent it in warranty issue.

RE: rebound, the stiction doesn't kelp this issue...I swapped out the 7.5wt for 5wt on the old setup & it did help a bunch.
 

·
fried stuff with cheese
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
MBN said:
A new mountain bike park is opening up about an hour from where I live. (Highland) I plan on going a bunch.
I live near Highland as well. I'll be up there on my RFX. I'll keep an eye out for you.
I'll be the the hurt dude laying next to a black ano RFX.

I'm running a Z.1 freeride now and I've taken a couple of runs at Highland and it's been fine for me. If you are planning on going really big, and there are plenty of opportunities for that there, a super t should be fine. I know more than a few of the crew up there run super t's on their bikes.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top