Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while.
I'm 6'5 and I'm looking into fatbikes not owned one before. I'm also a heavy set guy at 23 stone 330lbs or so and I was wondering if there are any bigger guys that can give some advice regarding a fatbike holding my frame.

The biggest size I've seen is an XL. Are there no XXL fatbikes? I saw a guy on another forum that said an XL is massive and he got the large, I think he was 6'2. When I check manufacturers specs online I've noticed some variation of max user hight from 6'4 - 6'8, so it's a little confusing.
I was looking at the surly brand specifically as I've read they use steel and I've heard good things about them regarding strength of the bikes.
I'm just concerned with knees hitting handlebars and overly high seating.

·
Bipolar roller
1,740 Posts
The XL Maverick is huge with a 525mm reach and up to 465mm cs. XXL RSD Mayor has a 500mm reach and up to 450mm cs. The RM blizzard is another bigger fat bike with a 500mm reach.
Be sure to look at the geo charts carefully when figuring out stack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 6'6" 215lbs and have a Surly Wednesday that I love. It's much smaller than my tallboy but super fun to ride. Surly frames are built well and can support larger riders no problem. I run 27.5 x 3 in the summer for family rides and switch to 26 in the winter
View attachment 1941349
Yeah I've seen them online looks good. Is that the XL size? Is there much clearance where your knees to handlebars are concerned?..

The seat looks terrible high up.. is it uncomfortable/not fit when lowered.. I'm not even sure on the riding position for fatbikes, is it the same as road bikes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The XL Maverick is huge with a 525mm reach and up to 465mm cs. XXL RSD Mayor has a 500mm reach and up to 450mm cs. The RM blizzard is another bigger fat bike with a 500mm reach.
Be sure to look at the geo charts carefully when figuring out stack.

Thanks.. the maverick looks awesome, I've emailed them regarding tax and shipping to England hopefully it's not too much, I'll let you know what they say.

With a 350lb weight limit that maverick looks ideal for a bigger guy.

·
Bipolar roller
1,740 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Did they redesign the frame? They are known to crack at the seat stay so not the best for a Clyde, and the Wozo was discontinued.

The Woo has replaced it but it comes 26 tire .
Very generous reach

Didn't hear that on the Wozo .
I loved that they came 27.5 & Manitou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
208 Posts
2015 Surly offered XXL in the Ice Cream Truck and Moonlander. You might be able to find a used one.

I am 6'3 and have a XL Ice Cream truck. I have a lot of stack on my handlebars which helps, but it could be a little bigger.

I also have a 64cm Midnight Special and that is a dream ride. I feel so comfortable on that big frame. Have been averaging 1,300 miles a month on it since I got it in the spring and love it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah I've seen them online looks good. Is that the XL size? Is there much clearance where your knees to handlebars are concerned?..

The seat looks terrible high up.. is it uncomfortable/not fit when lowered.. I'm not even sure on the riding position for fatbikes, is it the same as road bikes?
yes that's an xl frame. Stack is pretty low so my drop from saddle to bars is not ideal but it's comfortable to me. I have 40mm risers on it to help.

i have plenty of room for my long legs, I'm even running a 50mm stem vs the stock 80mm. There is enough room for my daughter to sit on the "shotgun" seat, although she prefers the tallboy as the reach is much larger on it.

Riding position and style for me is completely different. I'm actively going from seated to standing while also making use of the dropper. I ride it just like my full suspension.

·
Bipolar roller
1,740 Posts
Ventana makes XXL frames.
Ya, they make a frame they call an XXL, but it is actually only a 456mm reach, which is smaller than a Medium Wyatt and smaller than the Large Mayor.

Looks like Ventana is still using old school geometry sizing with the thinking that a long seat tube is what matters most for geometry when increasing in size, which nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to performance.

Ventana also makes an XXXL which is actually more like a L-XL at only 487mm reach. The large Maverick has a longer reach LOL 😂

·
turtles make me hot
11,820 Posts
Yeah…. I’ve noticed they haven’t added anything new to their site in years. I have never looked at their geometry. I just assumed their stuff worked. I know a guy that’s like 6’6” and seemed to like his.

·
Mr.Secret
641 Posts
Yeah…. I've noticed they haven't added anything new to their site in years. I have never looked at their geometry. I just assumed their stuff worked. I know a guy that's like 6'6" and seemed to like his.
The El Gordo is the sweetest handling fat bike I've ever been on ..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.