Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,681 Posts
If your that tall , then you probably weight a good bit and put out a lot of power. The SB130 are not the stiffest bikes out there. I would recommend something from Santa Cruz, Ibis or the new Evil Offering.
If you want the more snappy handling of shorter travel both Ibis and Santa Cruz should have a new bike out soon that will fit you and handle you weight.

As a side note. Long front center bikes with short rear stays FUBAR the handling. They take all of the weight off the front wheel making it wash out all the time. Longer stems, like 60+ are need to move our weight forward and lower bars help as well.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yep, what Alex said about weight distribution. Also stack and reach are too short and low for someone 6'7". I'm only 6'5" and was still cramped on a bike with 505mm reach. I'm riding a bike around 520mm reach and it's far better, still not anywear near too long.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I think all options will have some compromise. I rode a friends Ripmo XL and it felt um ok at a 780 bar. Thought maybe a longer stem and riser with little sweep might add some reach. I know there are rumored bikes coming out but I suspect they will not be here for awhile. Tx again.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,681 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a long torso/reach. My personal bike is an XL Ripmo with a 60mm stem and 780 bars. It is slightly too short, but the weight balance is very good. It's the best bike I've ever had by a long shot and I would not stretch it to fit me better without adding to the rear length. Going too a longer bike with a reach over 500 requires at least a 440mm chain stay.
Unfortunately it's a compromise for big guys. If you get an XXL Hightower or Tallboy(which I had), they are long enough but handling is compromised.
YT and the future Hightower in XXL are you best bets.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
There are more options than just those:

Nukeproof Mega, Bird Aeris, Geometron, Pole, all have longer reach and longer chainstays(for handling).

And @Tytlynz, no need to reduce handlebar sweep. Sure, this will decrease reach to the grips, but you can get the same effect with a longer stem. Choose the sweep that is most comfortable for you, the adjust stem length to get the grips where you want them.
Also, many higher sweep bars have an initial forward bend, so don't need a (much) longer stem to place the grips in the same position.

A nice wide bar will help too. Try 800mm at first, or even wider if you can find it cheaply. If you have long arms and moderately wide shoulders, it's unlike a bar will be too wide for you. I have long arms but super narrow shoulders (35" chest) and still am comfy on my 780mm bars. Lee Mc Cormack has a handle bar size calculator and at heights like ours, it ends up well over 800mm.

Note that if you go to a (very) wide bar, you will need to increase stem length to get the same "effective stem length" due to the fact that the wider bar will place the grips further back. Don't worry about this, this will still steer the same as an equivalent shorter stem and narrower bar combo. All that matters for steering feel is how far in front of the steerer your hands are:
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/leelikesbikes/blog/dialing-in-your-steeringhands-offset.html

I do think most of us can also be comfortable on a 780mm bar, but the wider bar will help take up some reach on a bike that is on the short side.

One thing that does work for bikes that are on the short side for you is "bar-ins". These allow you a more comfortable, ergonomic position for climbing and flat (gravel) road riding.
https://www.leelikesbikes.com/bar-ins-the-new-bar-ends.html

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
If your that tall , then you probably weight a good bit and put out a lot of power. The SB130 are not the stiffest bikes out there. I would recommend something from Santa Cruz, Ibis or the new Evil Offering.
If you want the more snappy handling of shorter travel both Ibis and Santa Cruz should have a new bike out soon that will fit you and handle you weight.

As a side note. Long front center bikes with short rear stays FUBAR the handling. They take all of the weight off the front wheel making it wash out all the time. Longer stems, like 60+ are need to move our weight forward and lower bars help as well.
What about the v4 Ripley? XL is 500 reach 432 chainstay. I have a v1 Evil Following now and reach is only 457. Considering the v4 Ripley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.